Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > FPV Racing Discussion

FPV Racing Discussion FPV Racing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FPV Drone for Retired Pilot

Hi All,

I am a new member to this forum, primarily interested in CP helis however, my father is retiring for good finally and my brothers and I are looking at getting him a nice gift (keep reading). He is a retired Air force pilot (flew C141's), retired airline pilot (flew 737's for 25 years) and retired teacher (taught aviation at a tech school for 6 years). I was talking to him about my new Blade 360cfx 3s (awesome btw) and he got to talking about his drone. He has a relatively low grade drone with battery issues but he loves to fly it / chase geese off the golf course. I showed him some videos of FPV drone flying and he thought that was awesome. Being a life long pilot and all, I think he would find a lot of enjoyment in one. My brothers and I are looking at getting him one as a gift for the year (retirement, birthday, x-mas and all). Right now I am thinking 500-600$ for a quality drone (including FPV goggles and transmitter but the budget can be pushed higher if necessary). Keep in mind he will not be racing or flying extremely fast, he is pushing 72 years old (still sharp with good hand eye coordination and 20/20 vision! / besides reading). I have RF7.5 that I could use to help train him with and I have lots of rc experience between my helis / background with rc planes and rc car racing so crash and repair is not an issue. Plus I am a mechanical engineer by trade so think I have the technical side covered. I am looking for advice for what type of drone / equipment would be good for him. Any advice is really appreciated!

Thanks!

Miles
RedDeffern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Welcome to the forum and good for your dad! He's lucky to have kids that buy him cool stuff. I was in a similar position looking for a first racing drone around Christmas time last year. The guys steered me right and I'm having a blast.

Check here:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=794609

I haven't flown the Furibee yet but the BFight is awesome. It has so much power that it puts a grin on your face every time you hit the stick. I've been using Liftoff as a simulator.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you for the information. Now I am starting to debate if he would enjoy a nice camera drone more than a FPV drone. I dont know if there is something that would be in between and still have a nice camera image and some stabilization. Something where if you felt like FPV you could or if you felt like just flying around you could do that as well.
RedDeffern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in