Canopy Quick Release - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OXY HELI > Oxy2

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Canopy Quick Release

Hi

As i find myself using the smaller helis during the winter months for backyard flying my Oxy2s have been getting higher usage nowadays. With the Oxy2s i have15 lipos in rotation per session. Now i plan to bump that up a bit to 20 to 25 lipos. Between the winter mitts, biggish hands, smallish heli and the Oxy2's tight canopy i find myself fidling too long and too much when changing lipos. Delaying the fun .Sometimes i even caused some rips on the canopies themselves.

Question: anybody here have been using or know of a quick release kit for the Oxy2? The smallest that i know was this: https://www.banggood.com/Tator-Canop...r_warehouse=CN which i have been using with a pair of Gaui X3. I'm tentatively planning on cutting off threaded part and drill a new and smaller threaded hole as these seems small and light enough. But before i do that i'd like to ask the group for info and opinion.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I cant imagine that a quick release would be any easier then just popping the grommets on.
Trex 700L NEO / Mikado Logo 600SX Vbar 6.0/ Trex 470LM NEO, Oxy 2 CC Talon 25 NEO, 450 pro vbar 6.0pro/ Trex 700n DFC OS105HZR, Velocity50 Vbar 6.0pro -Synergy 516 NEO-/Trex 600efl PRO (Night Flyer) vbar/CC HV80 ......ALL VBAR CONTROL
Stevin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I said the same exact thing years ago until i tried the Booyas and that Tarot quick release on my bigger helis. I can't believe how stoopid i was for missing a great mod for quick lipo changes.

The fact that i started minor cracks and rips on the canopies of the three Oxy2s that i have in rotation because of my big hands on a small heli, i think i have a practical and legitimate reason to try and find a better way to do it. Hence my post.

Any other ideas?
Old 11-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

what lipos are you using?

I'm using Turnigy Graphene 1000mah which is probably the biggest that would fit, as the graphene's tend to be larger than std. canopy is tight, but I have no issues fitting the canopy
Old 11-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I usually start by getting the bottom of the canopy in place with the carbon fiber tab over the lip then holding the heli nose towards me I rest it against my chest and apply pressure until the grommets meet up with the stanchions. These happen to be some of the best grommets I have had on a canopy. They are easy and smooth to insert and hold firm after hundreds of canopy changes.
The only other option I can think of is maybe ordering a set of the aluminum grommets for a 250/450 size. That way man handling it a boit should not crack your canopy.
Trex 700L NEO / Mikado Logo 600SX Vbar 6.0/ Trex 470LM NEO, Oxy 2 CC Talon 25 NEO, 450 pro vbar 6.0pro/ Trex 700n DFC OS105HZR, Velocity50 Vbar 6.0pro -Synergy 516 NEO-/Trex 600efl PRO (Night Flyer) vbar/CC HV80 ......ALL VBAR CONTROL
Stevin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundydeity View Post
what lipos are you using?

I'm using Turnigy Graphene 1000mah which is probably the biggest that would fit, as the graphene's tend to be larger than std. canopy is tight, but I have no issues fitting the canopy
Mainly Tattu 850s, Glacier 800s and a couple of Tattu 1300s. It's actually not about the lipo fitment. It's the way how the canopies are shaped around the head. I did file some material off hole of the grommets and they easily come off. It's when i try to open up the canopy with my biggish fingers for installation or removal. With the quick release i can have something to hold unto from the outside.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

magnetic canopy mounts are actually the fastest
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2017, 02:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92.M3 View Post
I said the same exact thing years ago until i tried the Booyas and that Tarot quick release on my bigger helis. I can't believe how stoopid i was for missing a great mod for quick lipo changes.

The fact that i started minor cracks and rips on the canopies of the three Oxy2s that i have in rotation because of my big hands on a small heli, i think i have a practical and legitimate reason to try and find a better way to do it. Hence my post.

Any other ideas?
I have the 450 Pro version of RC Booya canopy mounts...on the Oxy2 - Oxy3+ - 270CFX - (2)450CFX and Jeff is working on an adapter so I can use them on the 470LP

The 250CFX I recently sold had them as well

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=782839
Old 11-20-2017, 04:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
I cant imagine that a quick release would be any easier then just popping the grommets on.
Same here. Takes seconds to put on. Personally, I think they detract from how the canopy looks. To each their own I guess.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2017, 05:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also managed to split one of my canopies with slightly heavy handling (pulling the back of the canopy apart). Now I simply slip a (big) finger-tip underneath the canopy just below the grommet and the canopy just pops off the post.

The other thing that I have done on other tight canopies is to put a little silicon lube of the post and canopy grommet - it makes it MUCH easier to push the canopies onto/off the posts
Mikej is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2017, 06:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
I usually start by getting the bottom of the canopy in place with the carbon fiber tab over the lip then holding the heli nose towards me I rest it against my chest and apply pressure until the grommets meet up with the stanchions. These happen to be some of the best grommets I have had on a canopy. They are easy and smooth to insert and hold firm after hundreds of canopy changes.
The only other option I can think of is maybe ordering a set of the aluminum grommets for a 250/450 size. That way man handling it a boit should not crack your canopy.
Canopy was designed to go above the carbon fiber lip.
e92.M3 likes this.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2017, 06:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

They look like they would add about 10g to the Oxy 2. With the weight conscious on here, think most would not want. They don't appear to get smaller, the smaller the heli.

Oxy 2/3/4; P380; DX9
Lynx Heli Innovations Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl5973 View Post
magnetic canopy mounts are actually the fastest
Yes, those i linked above were magnetic.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
I have the 450 Pro version of RC Booya canopy mounts...on the Oxy2 - Oxy3+ - 270CFX - (2)450CFX and Jeff is working on an adapter so I can use them on the 470LP

Nice! This is what i'm talking about: ideas.

Thanks. Will read more about it before i ask further.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I also managed to split one of my canopies with slightly heavy handling (pulling the back of the canopy apart). Now I simply slip a (big) finger-tip underneath the canopy just below the grommet and the canopy just pops off the post.

The other thing that I have done on other tight canopies is to put a little silicon lube of the post and canopy grommet - it makes it MUCH easier to push the canopies onto/off the posts
I hear ya, man. Believe me i can relate to you. I really appreciate your useful post.
Same reason i sold my Oxy3 and kept a pair of older X3s instead because of the faster turn around in between lipo changes. They both fly great; almost the same but the lipo sliders of the X3 was the better premium for me as i do my lipo changes on the helipad itself and not bother carrying the heli to and from my station.

Last edited by e92.M3; 11-20-2017 at 10:53 AM..
e92.M3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Hey Jon.

Can you post the link of the Booya stand offs you used on that Oxy2 just for me to see the specs. Did you use other things aside from what comes with the kit? Like screws.

Seems like the Tarot ones i linked above are about half the length but with the Booyas the canopy looks like it opened up a bit (which can help with airflow inside the canopy). Can you confirm that? How do you find them in terms of ease in canopy take off and on. I bet that add on weight was just ridicously minute for this freakishly powerful heli.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92.M3 View Post
Hey Jon.

Can you post the link of the Booya stand offs you used on that Oxy2 just for me to see the specs. Did you use other things aside from what comes with the kit? Like screws.

Seems like the Tarot ones i linked above are about half the length but with the Booyas the canopy looks like it opened up a bit (which can help with airflow inside the canopy). Can you confirm that? How do you find them in terms of ease in canopy take off and on. I bet that add on weight was just ridicously minute for this freakishly powerful heli.
The Oxy 2 canopy was a bit difficult because of it's shape...I had to rework the frame mounts and redrill a standard frame hole for the screws...

The BLHeliParts canopy was much easier

I never worry about the weight...I don't fly smack so I just want it to look good and be functional
Old 11-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The Oxy 2 canopy was a bit difficult because of it's shape...I had to rework the frame mounts and redrill a standard frame hole for the screws...

The BLHeliParts canopy was much easier

I never worry about the weight...I don't fly smack so I just want it to look good and be functional
I have both the oem Oxy2 and the BLheli canopies. Saw what you did with the Oxy2. Ordered another set of the Tarots I linked above so it will be a few weeks before I post on how it went. For me it's a worthwhile project coz I'm really having some issues dealing with the canopies. Half of the time sometimes I don't even bother putting back the canopies.

For me I can't care less if it looks like a brick. As long as I can fly it smack, reliable and functional, why not.

Thanks, Jon. Appreciate it.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use metal/rubber grommets also on my OXY 2.

They work perfectly on my OXY 3s and worked perfectly also on my Gaui X3.
Unfortunately the balls of the canopy mount of OXY 2 are little larger than those of OXY 3 (or Gaui).
I sanded the metal parts of the grommets little smaller, worked fine (put them on a dremel tool).
But putting on and off the OXY 2 canopy is not perfect that way (as it is).

Meanwhile I hate those rubber grommets, because they break easiest and it is much easier to put on a canopy with those metal/oring grommets.
Only NOT in Oxy 2

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Walter

Seeing how you break out a sizable fleet of helis (and plankers too) AutumnDay every time you go out the field i won't second guess why you'd not want to find a wee bit of a better way on how to deal with down time in between lipo changes as I do. I just can't imagine how do you land that planker on that field of tall grass.

Thanks for your suggestion. Will try it if in case my initial plan fails. You have a link on those metal grommets?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.