Getting back into the hobby - OXY 2 build question - Page 3 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OXY HELI > Oxy2

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Went together super quick and smooth. The only hesitation I have is that the tail slider has a _tiny_ bit of friction on it, not sure if I知 gonna disassemble it and lightly sand it down.

Electronics will go in tomorrow and I値l get it tuned to fly next weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB3130CE-2B2F-4D19-9755-6F1B01E8C28E.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	731188   Click image for larger version

Name:	82F0DDA8-AFF6-4E27-ABB6-7D4C9B776DBE.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	731189  
WonderedUnder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2017, 03:58 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderedUnder View Post
Went together super quick and smooth. The only hesitation I have is that the tail slider has a _tiny_ bit of friction on it, not sure if I知 gonna disassemble it and lightly sand it down.

Electronics will go in tomorrow and I値l get it tuned to fly next weekend!
What I have done in the past is once I have the motor installed, tail slider fitted, but no blades (tail or mains), oil the tail shaft and get the motor running at low rpm move the tail slider from one extreme to the other a few times (either with servo or fingers).

This has helped it to bed in...
Mikej is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2017, 05:33 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started assembling mine and noticed the coarse surface finish on the tail shaft. Some 600 grit sand paper improved the finish, the slider moves smooth now. Emery cloth, 400 grit or scotch brite pad would also work. A corse finish will wear the inside of the pitch slider quicker, so it is good to do if you ever see a coarse finish on a tail shaft.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2017, 08:12 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just finished the build this weekend as things have gotten crazy. This was my first time using a hobbywing esc or a brain FBL unit.

I'm getting a tail wag, much like many of the folks here have had on their oxy2. I have read the basic threads... but not really sure what to do to fix it at this point.

Tail wag is the same at 3800-4400 rpms. i'm running 45% gain in the microbrain. tail slider moves smoothly. i have the belt pretty darn tight.

Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2017, 11:08 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Just finished the build this weekend as things have gotten crazy. This was my first time using a hobbywing esc or a brain FBL unit.

I'm getting a tail wag, much like many of the folks here have had on their oxy2. I have read the basic threads... but not really sure what to do to fix it at this point.

Tail wag is the same at 3800-4400 rpms. i'm running 45% gain in the microbrain. tail slider moves smoothly. i have the belt pretty darn tight.

Any ideas?
45 is way high. Try as the manually says. Around 20.
Page 32.

Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2017, 01:18 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Getting back into the hobby - OXY 2 build question

+1 for the gain around 20
And the belt shouldn稚 be to tight. You could try to loosen it a bit.
AWdeBoer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2017, 07:09 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

turned gain down to 20 this AM - wag is less, but still prominent. Not sure how i missed that step of the manual....
Old 12-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
turned gain down to 20 this AM - wag is less, but still prominent. Not sure how i missed that step of the manual....
What's more tough is making sure you read every word in the left panel when setting up your ikon/brain. Miss a word or two and things become painful. I did that first time around. There's super important stuff there.

If you still have wag, try 18 to 19, but around 18 you'll get blowouts, especially if you run low headspeed.

Make sure your tail pitch mech is super free and butter smooth.

Make sure you have the tail servo arm ball in the specified hole.

Some servos will not work well. What servo are you using? People always try to save money on tail servos and it's the worst place to do so in a copter.

Try all that and let us know. We'll get into fine tuning after this.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

In panel 8, not 100% of the panel number, where you adjust tail servo travel...do you have the box checked that says "set in software? If not, you adjust gyro gain in your radio. If you do, make sure radio adjust is set to inhibit.

Oxy 2/3/4; P380; DX9
Lynx Heli Innovations Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did try turning the gain down even more, and again, the wag got a little better, but the tail becomes ridiculously soft.

The tail pitch mechanism was rough when i first got it (as i posted above), so i sanded it with 400, then 600, then 1200 grit sandpaper and now it's butter smooth.

The tail servo is a blue arrow H0988UHS Tail Servo which is what i got in the lynx recommended setup. I have the ball in the second hole, which is about 6.2mm (manual says 7mm).

And in panel 8, i don't have "set in software" checked, as i adjust the gain from my dx8.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

And you have done the tail servo travel adjustment in panel 8 to near max travel of the slider left and right, correct?

Oxy 2/3/4; P380; DX9
Old 12-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

I maidened my Oxy2 yesterday (190 version). I saw the recommended gain in the manual but didn't go immediately towards that number (also set in Tx) and prefer to adjust on the fly as necessary. Although I don't have my Tx in front of my, I recall I am in the low 40s at 4300rpm, mid 30s at 4500 and low 30s at 4700 with no tail wag. I'm still tuning it a bit so it may go a bit further as I continue to learn the heli and fly a bit more aggressively.

Are you using the 38 or 41 mm tail blade? I went directly to the 41 as a lot of people have recommended.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, i have completed the max tail servo travel on panel 8.

And i'm using the 41mm tails on the 210 mains (stretch) running 3800-4400 headspeed. i have set my transmitter gain anywhere from 15%-65% (in the transmitter, not in the ikon) and the tail wag exists throughout all of these ranges - which makes me think more and more that it's something mechanical.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, sounds mechanical. Have you gone through and checked all ball links to make sure they move freely (tail grips to slider, pitch lever to rod, rod to tail servo ball? Make sure the links in the slider move freely without binding also. Isolate these items and don't check as an entire moving piece.

Oxy 2/3/4; P380; DX9
Old 12-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ball is almost 1mm away from ideal spec too. Do you have a different arm you can use.

Most people have said that the spektrum servo works the best overall.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not able to test fly it, but i loosened up the ball links in the tail grips to slider, they were a little tight, but still moving freely.

The only other thing i can notice is that when i move the tail rod by hand, at or near the extreme, sometimes the tail servo push rod will "flex" and then it will get "stuck" and won't want to move until i change the pressure on it. Hard to describe i guess, ... the pushrod doesn't seem straight by design as far as i can tell. I have a feeling that this may be my problem, because the mechanical play of the tail when i detach the pushrod from the crank is perfectly smooth.

i'll try a different servo arm this evening when i get home and go back through the tail setup on the ikon. that should help make the angle a little less "steep" and give the servo a little more speed.

Last edited by WonderedUnder; 12-18-2017 at 11:31 AM..
Old 12-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm not able to test fly it, but i loosened up the ball links in the tail grips to slider, they were a little tight, but still moving freely.

The only other thing i can notice is that when i move the tail rod by hand, at or near the extreme, sometimes the tail servo push rod will "flex" and then it will get "stuck" and won't want to move until i change the pressure on it. Hard to describe i guess, ... the pushrod doesn't seem straight by design as far as i can tell. I have a feeling that this may be my problem, because the mechanical play of the tail when i detach the pushrod from the crank is perfectly smooth.

i'll try a different servo arm this evening when i get home and go back through the tail setup on the ikon. that should help make the angle a little less "steep" and give the servo a little more speed.
Are you running the center tail rod support? There should be some resistance on it. Pics?
Old 12-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you select a "450" size heli in the FBL programming? If you did, set it to the proper blade length.

For elimination, since you mention some potential binding, you can remove the tail rod support for now.

Oxy 2/3/4; P380; DX9
Old 12-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
.. the pushrod doesn't seem straight by design as far as i can tell. .
I noticed that too that the center rod support actually kinks the rod a slight bit. Kind of weird of a detail if you ask me but I don't have any binding issues as a result.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by howaboutme View Post
I noticed that too that the center rod support actually kinks the rod a slight bit. Kind of weird of a detail if you ask me but I don't have any binding issues as a result.
Designed for a reason like that. Prevents the rod from resonating and causing vib issues. Bigger deal on micros than larger helis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.