Specy IX12 and Jeti - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 03:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Specy IX12 and Jeti

Well, there is clearly a lot of talk about the Specy IX12 which looks pretty impressive. I wonder how this will effect Jeti (if at all). I wonder if this will push a price drop or push some steps forward in features, not that the Jeti is lacking in features. Hmm interesting to see how this unfolds.
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me, all the features relating to internet connectivity are useless as I have a smart phone for that.
Putting on some price pressure could be good for all of us.
Voyager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd love to see Jeti release a version with Android integrated. It would be an ideal counter to the iX12, and would also drive more integration with Android apps linking radios to more and more on the models.

The ideal for me is being able to properly setup a model 100% from the radio, including servos, FBL, esc, receiver and Telemetry. And not for that to be restricted to a single brand.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I personally use my radio for flying anything else I pick up my iPhone.

I have never played with the games on my Jeti but once when I got it.

Although the features on the new Spektrum could be interesting to a younger segment at first I think the practicality is doubtful and will get them back to their cell.

Will I ever use my Tx to text to a friend, really??
Old 12-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Spek interface with Brain involves moving the sticks to program. Sounds clunky. The Spek telemetry is limited, way behind Jeti. A lot of the threads involve sat problems. No thanks for me. It's their view of what people will want. Time will tell. I have no interest in social media from my radio. RC is for flying. Dan
Old 12-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

As someone who uses spektrum often bc of the simplicity i can say this of the new ix12.. the color touch screen for tx programming is a great upgrade for spektrum users. Some other features will be fun. For instance I can wear my bluetooth headphones to hear custom voice prompts that I can create w text to speech it has. That is cool. If I can adjust the ikon w the brain app via tx, that is a huge improvement for spektrum. it will have the best spektrum telemetry the company has. All these are awesome for spektrum users.

All the other apps are possible simply bc it has access to all android apps. Kind of silly but it comes with the setup of basically having a smartphone built into the tx. I would never use this fluff and would likely delete any apps like facebook if they are installed from factory. That is just silly.

As for integration and telemetry , time will tell what 3rd party can do eventually. Jeti is still way ahead on telemetry and proven reliability.

I like Jeti but this will be the most awesome tx spektrum has ever produced and I think it is likely to change the direction of future tx and apps.
Indokast is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carapau View Post
Well, there is clearly a lot of talk about the Specy IX12 which looks pretty impressive. I wonder how this will effect Jeti (if at all). I wonder if this will push a price drop or push some steps forward in features, not that the Jeti is lacking in features. Hmm interesting to see how this unfolds.
I don't think this will affect Jeti or change its development tragectory one bit. Their FBL integration, telemetry and plank functionality is a long way ahead of Spektrum. Jeti is also a much better quality item from a mechanical perspective (although more expensive too).

The sceptic in me thinks that the Android integration is just a gimmick to appeal to the younger members of our community. There doesn't seem to be any real substance to it in terms of configuration, integration, telemetry or flight control which, to me at least, are the more important aspects of a transmitter.

So many heli's, so little time.
Crashalotjoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are only two things Jeti needs to add based on the new Spektrum. Color touch screen (that one can see in the sun) and the ability to adjust gimbals without popping off the back.

I have no need for the Android stuff.

Maybe change that to 3 things, a lower price point. DS-14, color screens, front adjust gimbals with a price that rivals the nw Spektrum radio. That would crush the competition.
Indokast likes this.
GravityJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityJunkie View Post
There are only two things Jeti needs to add based on the new Spektrum. Color touch screen (that one can see in the sun) and the ability to adjust gimbals without popping off the back.

I have no need for the Android stuff.
+1, make it easier to adjust sticks and a color touch screen.
I have a phone/tablet for Android but could be convinced I "need" Android on my Tx. LOL

Doug B.

Last edited by dougb; 12-12-2017 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Might see a need for droid
dougb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Will I ever use my Tx to text to a friend, really??
yeah, iím in the same boat.

it has a lot of features, iíll give them that, but i have no interest in switching to my radio for my communication or internet needs. if iím so bored at the field that i need to play a game, iíd rather just go home and be done with it.
etherbatxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2017, 02:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Specy IX12 and Jeti

Ok, the Spektrum iX12 is interesting, but Spektrum have a few misses on there too (no telemetry on the home screen, really?). So how about a wishlist of things we'd like to see if Jeti were to release a radio with an android screen?

For me, I'd like to see:

- Large 5" touch screen interface

- The android app released in the Google Play store and able to run on phone and tablets.

- Wireless link between the radio and phone app, allowing features like: model backup, sharing models with friends, offline editing (or emailing a model to a mate for them to fix), remote telemetry (having a friend hold your phone to check telemetry during a flight could help some troubleshooting). Imagine setting up a new model by just sitting in front of the TV with your phone and tinkering with the settings.

- Fully customisable home screen, with the user able to drag and drop elements to place them in position. This should include built in pieces like flight mode & model name, telemetry views, and LUA apps.

- An API allowing android apps to read telemetry, and ideally enable bidirectional communication (using ExBus). I want the system to enable 3rd party apps for FBL programming or quadcopter programming over the radio link.

- That API should pass over radio switch actions too. That enables features like: link your trim buttons or a slider to FBL tuning parameters. Or use a switch to start an audio track (great for practising a routine!).

- USB, Bluetooth, WiFi and Serial links. So Android apps can be used to setup ESCs, lap timers, etc...

- Radio module support (I really, really want to be able to use some of the Blade bind n fly models (Heli, plane and quad) with my Jeti).

- A proper charge port (none of this micro USB crap with fragile cables).
PJing likes this.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1. Spektrum went with flash over substance. Its a bunch of stuff that new drone pilots who got their drone from under the christmas this year is going to desire. Just about anyone in the hobby who's serious isn't going to use or care about half the new stuff they put in the radio.

Their new TX would look great on the shelves at best buy...
GravityJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The big advantage of using Android is leveraging the massive development suites and existing assets. Where Jeti has to code everything from scratch. So in this generation of radio we can expect extremely rapid advancements of airware.

Th big problem Jeti has had in the last year was announcing the ds24 a year before itís ready to ship slamming sales on the ds16. Classic Osborne effect, and it reflects a lack of understanding marketing 101. Meanwhile I get newsletters every week about the ds24 every week yet canít but it.

I planned to buy a ds24. But one year later Iíve lost interest.

Second l, Jeti ditched their plans for a color ds12. They have really nothing to compete with the ix12.

What we see now is 1.0 of Airware. Where the goal was a stable release at feature parity on a brand new platform. Going forward since itís app based and easy to develop for we will see an explosion of features and third party apps. As it gets adopted and they offer lower and higher end radios based on the ix platform.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
EspritModel.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post

Second l, Jeti ditched their plans for a color ds12. They have really nothing to compete with the ix12.
Are you sure? Might be better after the iX12 revealed they secrets.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 12-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
Are you sure? Might be better after the iX12 revealed they secrets.

Zb/Jeti USA
Better be careful with early announcements or expect it to ruin what’s left of the ds14 sales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Loose lips sink ships.
James Roberts likes this.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
EspritModel.com

Quote:
Better be careful with early announcements or expect it to ruin whatís left of the ds14 sales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Loose lips sink ships.
I let you know public secret, nobody really cares about 14
Old 12-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good information on the RC Tx market and direction. I do like the Jeti - Brain2 integration. If having Android on board will improve integration plus allow me to program the Tx from my tablet or laptop then I'm in.

I don't want to communicate with the outside world at the field. I like flying unplugged. LOL

Doug B.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
I let you know public secret, nobody really cares about 14
Hmm sorry to hear it. So then I guess you have nothing to loose spilling the beans on all your new product development.

Anyway I have the ix12 on order and should have it in 2 weeks. I think Airware 1.0 lacks many features I want, and they don't yet have a receiver with BiDi-SRXL that I like. 4649T with 2 sats is fine though with triple redundancy.

But the real promise is if they release an API for programming between the Android CPU and channel CPU. They say they will. And if they actually follow through the IX 3rd party app ecosystem will explode with options.

We probably won't know much about the success of the IX radio for at least 6mo. So unless you are in the spektrum ecosystem already, hard to go that route until they follow through with the feature promises.

I will keep using my DS14 until the IX12 exceeds the functionality. But I will use both regularly. Maybe dedicating the IX12 to 1 heli, and couple fixed wing.
dougb likes this.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I will keep using my DS14 until the IX12 exceeds the functionality. But I will use both regularly. Maybe dedicating the IX12 to 1 heli, and couple fixed wing.
I look forward to your updates OTS. As a Jeti / Futaba guy I'm watching with great interest to see if they follow through with their plans.

Doug B.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
EspritModel.com

For sure it will be interesting to see what and when all the promised stuff happens. The 12 is really spearheaded towards drone market, there are no telemetry functions, no wireless switches, also (surprisingly) you cannot displaying telemetry and flight time at the same time on the screen.

The Bluetooth functionality and all app will be interesting to see, what you need is the integrated hardware, sensors, servos, switches, stabilization systems and whole integration. For sure we will not see 100/200A Power Main Switch anytime soon.

We already agreed to go differently way (Jeti Studio), for us transmitters stays transmitters and Bluetooth (DroidBox) will be connection to outside world. Get 10Ē tablet program your model, display telemetry, adjust parameters and send it to Tx. I want to see how someone will program 9-point Servo match curve on 4Ē display with dirty fingers.

Zb/Jeti USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.