please explain how the throttle hold function works - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Futaba Radios

2.4G Futaba Radios Futaba 2.4G Radio Help and support forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default please explain how the throttle hold function works

I have just watched a video about programming the tribunus esc and ibobby watts sets up his bailout with with the throttle hold function, he set it to 30% when activated but that still cuts the throttle , what is hapeneing and what is the 30% doing?
Anthony
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

ok how about this then , ever since i have owned my 14sg , throttle hold works and is set to 17% . i use the same number for al my models because it works , should it be set to zero? . what would happen if i put the number up to 50% would throttle hold still work? if yes then what does the number affect?
Anthony
Old 12-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anthony- I set all mine to 0% to be sure the throttle does not arm or keep going.

Bailout can be set with idle up 3 if needed. I don't use it because I can't think fast enough to flip out of T/H.

17% had resulted in some of mine still spinning. It depends on your normal throttle curve setup and if you did the end points properly with your ESC.

Hope that helps
Old 12-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my Tf8g i have a throttle hold condition, on a 3 pos sw. However, I have throttle cut also, in the Likage menu, setup for autorotation bailout on pos 2 of said switch, 1 being "fly". the throttle hold cuts all,0%. the throttle cut cuts throttle to 35%, and the position 1 puts the throttle off the throttle curve for that flight mode condition.

Throttle HOLD and THR CUT are not the same things, but do similat things, in my Futaba Tf8g, I presume yours its the same. Look for THR CUT in the linkage menu. THR HOLD is in the model menu. If you need more as to how to set them up to work together let me know.

I have been thinking about that split second to hit AUTOBAILOUTSPOOL and practice shutin motor off in flight with a high hope of recovery even if i never did an auto before.... I practice not in an actual auto but in high up forward flight, just a slit second, to get used to the spoolup rate... a little more and more each time...
Old 12-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was thinking of doing that with fast spoolup one direction and 0 the other.
That way say I want to do a auto - push forward to do the 35%, but the problem I see is no hold or cut in mid position. I don't trust myself to push the TH/ TC switch off in a panic.
I think there are many ways to achieve the same results.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

is the throttle hold channel a different channel to the normal and how does one affect the other . I don't think I set my th to 17% but it has been like that as long as I can remember, it doesn't seem to affect anything but I was just wondering what it actually did .
does it affect the first 10% of the regular throttle channels or something else
Anthony
Old 12-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is supposed to bring the throttle down to what it is set to. it can be seen in the servo screen and I always check it if I am doing anything throttle related (or at least I try)
Throttle cut is for nitro to cut/kill the engine, hold is idle so you can flip out and fly again without starting the engine again and why you see 17%. Reality is either can solve it for E machines. just a preference. I never land powered always TH either from 2/3 ft or 2/300 feet.

I prefer to power up heli at 0% with TH on. To do this TH screen, you highlight the 17 - select it and use the wheel to bring it down to 0.

May want to revisit your ESC endpoints after to regain proper resolution..
Old 12-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ahh so its like trim at the beginning of the servo travel(for a nitro) but i don't need it for electric
Anthony
Old 12-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess so. I think of it More of an idle setting with cut to stop the motor.
Have always gone and set it to 0 on electrics.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Throttle hold is supposed to hold throttle at a non engaging value and in many instances this may actually be a negative value, however, in most cases it is simply 0%.

Throttle cut is for a nitro motor which is running at 0% throttle at idle. After you land you may want to shut the motor down before approaching the model, "i do", so in that case it is most likely a negative value such as -5% to kill the motor.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

thanks for all the replies , what initially got me wondering was the bobby watts video , he sets the throttle hold value to 30% so that the bail out works properly in the tribunus setup and i thought that at 30% throttle the motor wouldn't shut off and th wouldn't work but it seems that this value isn't directly affecting the main throttle value , just a small percentage of it .
Anthony
Old 12-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The way I understand it is ---
The 30% he is referring to is for the ESC to decide to start with slow or fast spool-up (auto rotation bailout) Some situations are different say VBAR gov, castle esc or different combos I think.

If it sees 0% it starts normal slow spool-up/ also what the ESC needs to arm upon plugging in battery.
So when your screwing around doing autos where you may want to spool it back up 10 second slow start is far too long to wait.

Conversely if you spool it up and land and don't go all the way to 0 then start again and it fast starts and can strip gears or spin around at the very least.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Anthony,

The reason that Throttle hold is set to 30% is for autorotation bailout. To make it simple, there are two different ways to disarm your motor while it is running.

First way- With the motor running, you give it a 0% command (full zero). It will immediately cut power to the motor and make it stop running. Your head speed will slowly come down.

Second Way- With the motor running, you give the Tribunus a 30% value. It will also immediately cut power to the motor and make it stop running. Your head speed will slowly come down also.

What's the difference? The difference is in the rate at which the head speed will spool back up.

In the first way (giving it 0%), your headspeed will come back up as slowly as it would at first, when you initially spool up your helicopter. In the second way, because you told it 30%, it knows that you want to spool up your machine faster - so it will make your headspeed come back up quickly. The speed that it comes back up is adjustable in your Tribunus setup. We call this "autorotation bail out".

The reason you would want to use this is if you are doing any sort of autorations. If you are coming down in an auto and your headspeed is dangerously low, you can click out of autorotation bailout and it will spool up your heli much faster than a traditional spool up speed would.

Hope this explanation helps. Oh yeah, keep an eye out for SmackTalk Episode 32, as we discuss this very topic

Bobby
Old 12-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hi bobby, im a big fan of your flying style , thank you for taking the time to comment
i understand bailout and throttle hold what i was struggling with is what the 30% is in relation to the throttle and why throttle hold still works with a 30% offset .
right now i followed your video and setup the tribunus the same way , everything works as it should and the gov does work well, i even tried it in flight in loops and stuff and the blades spun up just right . so now its just my curiosity wondering whats going on
Anthony
Old 12-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Anthony, much appreciated!

The 30% is given so that the Tribunus knows it's not zero, and it's not 50% (a low headspeed for example). The engineers at Scorpion programmed the Tribunus so that Autorotation Bailout is activated at a certain range. I don't recall that exact range off the top of my head, but putting the 14SG to 30% hits that range perfectly.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i think what i'm asking is what s the 30% of . its not of the throttle curve so is throttle hold a completely separate function that overrides normal iu1 and iu2 . oh wait i think i just answered my question doh
Anthony
Old 12-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1 View Post
i think what i'm asking is what s the 30% of . its not of the throttle curve so is throttle hold a completely separate function that overrides normal iu1 and iu2 . oh wait i think i just answered my question doh
Anthony
Yeah it holds the throttle at a fixed value overriding the throttle curve assigned to the flight mode you are currently in.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1 View Post
Anthony
The 30% would be a percentage of travel from one end point (throttle fully closed) to the other end point (throttle fully open) of throttle channel travel. The end points are those you setup during radio setup and would be the mechanical limits when using a throttle servo.

As HeliSmith mentioned, throttle hold has a higher priority than normal and idle up 1/2. When you hit throttle hold you're just telling the throttle channel to go to the specific point you specified (e.g., 30%).
Ace Dude is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

30% of the throttle curve?. thats the part that doesn't make sense
Old 12-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

30% off zero or -100 end point if it was a servo... many gov programs don't spool up at all till say 50% (or 0) , so all it is saying is to over ride the soft/slow spoolup to save you if you flip out of TH in an auto.

Some have been known to strip gears if accidentally spooled in bailout mode with blades and on the ground.

If it sees 0% then it knows to spool up slow, 30% spools up fast

This was the solution for these pilots doing things like aerobatic autos. More like the nitro setups that would spool up right away out of TH.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.