Tail booms - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Protos 700/800

MSH Protos 700/800 MSH Protos 700/800 Helicopter Support Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flint723

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail booms

What is different between the original 700 max and the max v2 tail booms? Could I use the original boom on my max v2?
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, I guess I'll try it and see.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't say for sure on V1 to V2. The belt was different but I don't know about tail case. I would not be surprised if the boom itself is the same.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have a V1 boom measure it, take some pictures and post the information. I don't currently have a spare boom, but someone should who could confirm compatibility.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

v1 boom is 2 mm shorter than v2. Only possible issue is running out of belt tension adjustment.
KSKen likes this.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, 2mm! Could most likely work out then? I had to order some parts from another store and the boom was on sale and said v1/v2. So, I went for it. It's not here yet.
I'll post a follow up after I install it.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Wow, 2mm! Could most likely work out then? I had to order some parts from another store and the boom was on sale and said v1/v2. So, I went for it. It's not here yet.
I'll post a follow up after I install it.
Yeah it should work. If anything you might have to slide the boom out of the front boom block a little. Don't know if it would stay that way or not. But you could pin it as well if you had to.

If it was helidirect you have to be careful. They are labeling a lot of v1 only stuff "v1/v2". They do also have some actual v2 parts though.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes it was from Helidirect and yes it's too short. Can't get enough tail belt tension unless I pull it back like you said.

I'm only replacing the boom as an attempt to remedy the tail belt pulling too hard to the right issue that my max v2 has. Its been this way from the beginning and it's wearing down the rear pulley and the belt. Its also causing vibes I believe.

I've already replaced just about every other part back there with no improvement. But I think I may have finally had a breakthrough!

The other day I was reassembling the tail case and I was going very slow and checking everything very closely every step of the way. When I got to the point where the 2 side plates get snugged down, I realized that they do not stay in line with the tail case! They "lean" to the right if looking from behind the heli. Now, I have 2 sets of the side plates because that's one of the parts I tried replacing a while back, so I know it's not that part. So, I take everything apart and investigate and it seems that the tail case is not level right where those 2 side plates mount! So in turn, the 2 side plates do not line up with the rest of the tail.

So, I ordered a new tail case and I'm waiting for it now. I really hope this fixes the issue because I love this 700 more than any other I've ever flown.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your tail case has 2 relief cuts (Top & Bottom) you can very easily over tighten and crush boom enough the belt can ride "harder" to the right.
Some of the tail cases have only 1 relief cut and seem to center better or are less apt to crush boom. The fin bolts just need to be snugged, the case can't move due to pin so no need to be cranked down.
The belts all ride right due to the 90 deg twist, that's normal. I have not personally had any tail issues with this on 4 Max's in probably 1000 flights total, but you may get some replies on how to center belt via idler pulley mod which "I" feel :-) is a static only position. In flight the belt slaps back and forth with hard tail inputs..Flint had a camera on a tail fin and I would not have believed how much the belt moves had I not seen that.
As for tail vibes I can't say I've seen issues due to belt but proper thrust bearing race placement is a must and I believe in high quality tail blades. If you haven't already, try a new set of blades before tearing farther apart if you still have vibes with new tail case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.