Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 2018 Flight Log

I think I will try to keep track this year of how much flying I do like the rest of you guys and gals
banshee rider is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Happy New Year!

Citizen 654
rcnut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

5 flights for today 3 on the Trex/Helibug gasser and 2 on the Hirobo Freya 91 glow
Temp was 70 f. wind out of the west at 1 to 3 mph with blue skies

Phoenix AZ. is awesome in the winter !!

Oh no bugs either
banshee rider is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default oh!

You're one of those guys in Phoenix, AZ, eh? I might stop by to see Kandace in the end of February timeframe, maybe I could meet you as well. Do you fly at the same field as her or where?

-=>Raja.
rbort is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kandace flies down around Tucson some where from what I have seen her post on here
I fly on the north side of Phoenix
probably about 2 1/2 hours between us
Her and I havent met each other yet that i know of
even though she came to AZ. from southern WI.
and I came here from northern.Illinois

i dont think we have ever crossed paths

I dont really have a "home" field yet
I been flying as a guest at a couple of club fields
but most of the clubs here are not very friendly to heli's even if you fly "THE PATTERN"
so maybe I can run down to Tucson to meet you both
Old 01-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Closer

She's actually not that far away from you, Arizona City or about an hour. I'll go to San Diego to visit family and from there may go through AZ to Vegas to attend that event there late February. I have to look and see how feasible it is.

If I come I'll let both of you know, would be good to get together for some flights

So here we go again, the starting log:

MA 1005, Hanson 280, 4145 flights
Spectra-g, Hanson 270, 3220 flights
Whiplash-g V1, Hanson 300, 1483 flights
Whiplash-g V2, Hanson 300, 243 flights

-=>Raja.

Last edited by rbort; 01-07-2018 at 06:39 PM..
Old 01-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds good to me
if there heli freindly down there i might run down a couple of times a month
just to be around other heli people
Old 01-02-2018, 06:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnut View Post
Happy New Year!
Happy new year Ray!
, Futaba 18SZ
jharkin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is 1,000 Possible in 2018?

Well finally a new year and the best time to reset the annual flight counter!

For me the year is off to a good start. On New Year's Day, I got in 11 flights and really liking my B600X. On the flights since the maiden one, it has been eating main gear teeth. Last week in 3 flights, I lost 16 teeth out of the 169. I guess 10% is not bad.

When I went to replace the 2nd chewed up main gear, before its insertion, I decided to get smart and just spin up the motor through Normal, I1, and I2, after making "Spool Up" and "Ramp Up" changes. Interesting that with the FBL changes, the speed change as I switched from one to another position stayed instantaneous. I at least knew, that ain't right! So, my inexperience showed as I finally clicked on the "Enable Governor" check box. WOW what a difference that made.

Compared to my B450X, I am amazed at the difference in visibility, stability, and power, when I flew the B600X. A few months of 600 flying and I will really be ready to put my soon to be built Whiplash G2 in the air.

B600X - 3 Flights
B450X - 8 Flights
2018 Total - 11 Flights

Would have flown more on the B600X, but when I went to charge 4 6S batteries, I let the smoke out of the homemade server power supply. I know, don't do that!

Happy Flying in the New Year all!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Local Field - 2 Helis.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	733351  
Old 01-02-2018, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outing today between 2 and 4:30pm

Went out this afternoon to air myself out of the house. It was cold, but less windy than yesterday. Temp at the field 17F down to 13F. I'm dressed in 3 layers on my legs, 4 layers on my chest, its all good except for the feet today. Maybe I should try two pair of socks next time out...

I started out with the 1005, put on my headset, and called several friends while I was in the air to chit chat and fly. I got 3 flights in on the 1005 when all of a sudden someone drove in, really? I looked at its Tom with his dog who flies small electrics. I'm like is he serious? In this cold? So he proceeds to tie the dog to the picnic table and gets his flying wing out. After some fiddling with bare hands (wow) it wouldn't get going. He had to put it back in the car.

By that time I finished the 1005 flight so I walked over to say Hi. He said the esc/servos kept rebooting not sure why, so he took out another airplane and let that fly. I shot this video for you guys while he was in the air:

IMG 50251 (1 min 7 sec)

After he landed he was frozen solid and said "I got one" and he was ready to leave. I didn't think he would last very long. The dog looked frozen as well after being cooped up unable to run much and was happy to run back inside the car.

I put up the Whiplash for 1 more as by the time he was done it was 4pm and I was able to get 1 1/3 tanks though and called it a day.

MA 1005 = 3
Whiplash V1 = 1

2018 count:

MA 1005 = 3
Spectra-g = 0
Whiplash V1 = 1
Whiplash V2 = 0

Total = 4
Gallons Mixed = 1 (left over from last year)

Anxious to go back out tomorrow, its going to be a great day, temps in the high 20's going to feel balmy plus not much wind, even less than today which was hardly any to be honest (that's why Tom showed up).

Last edited by rbort; 01-07-2018 at 06:35 PM..
Old 01-02-2018, 11:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbort View Post
............. his dog who flies small electrics.
Luckily I read further, else I would be demanding a vid of that !!

Happy new year ! Thank you for the 2017 log. Look forward to reading along in 2018.
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been hoping to get out for the Christmas break from work, but we have single digit weather hovering around zero and below! We will be getting a "heat wave" this weekend, 23 degrees, but with up to 3" of snow, and 5-8 inches Thursday & Friday next week! Still stuck indoors. Oh well, turn rotors inside then.

Citizen 654
rcnut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Today was a good day

Outing from 1:15pm until 4:30pm again. This time it was balmy...30F for quite some time before dropping back to 20F within the last hour of the day. I spent it mostly in the air, enjoying the light winds if any, call it calm the later it got, and the "warm" temperatures. When you get used to teens and even close to single digits, 30F feels great!

I flew the Spectra first for 3 in a row, then I put up the Whiplash for 1 and realized my radio was getting low. I wanted to fool around with the 1005 more as its good for snow stuff with the engine fan blowing down instead of up (PUH motor), so I put that up using the rest of the battery power in the radio for 3 more flights.

I had ambitions that I was going to fly 9 flights today, but in reality gasser flights take a long time to complete it just wasn't even possible even if I had enough TX battery left. I took off flight #7 at 4:05pm, and by the time I was done and put stuff back in the truck, it was 4:34 as I remember Ansy saying its still light at that time as we spoke on the phone.

MA 1005 = 3
Spectra-g = 3
Whiplash V1 = 1

2018 count:

MA 1005 = 6
Spectra-g = 3
Whiplash V1 = 2
Whiplash V2 = 0

Total = 11
Gallons Mixed = 1 (running low)

As usual, a little video to show the ambiance of the day:

IMG 50261 (1 min 43 sec)

And a nice picture I took of the fleet with the setting sun below.

I did write my name in the snow with the 1005 skids, I took a movie of that but have not uploaded it as I didn't think it was that exciting, anyway, it was fun doing it

-=>Raja.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5029[1].jpg
Views:	72
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	733518  

Last edited by rbort; 01-07-2018 at 06:35 PM..
Old 01-03-2018, 11:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

RC heli ice skating and free style ! Makes me smile every year. It is awesome.
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2018, 11:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ice skating

Its alot and alot of fun, like I said in the past, the snow adds a +1 to any day!!

I spent alot of time skating on the ice, lifting one skid up then the next in harmony back and forth. I did several Michael Jackson moonwalks, backwards autos, land on the ice with speed from left to right (my ice runway goes out about 100-125 feet to the left, and while sliding lift the left skid up, then the right, and then back the left again. Its really cool and you slide further on the ice so more time to do it.

I did (talking to myself) "triple toe loops" as well, pirouetting on the ice on one skid tip. Then there is the 180 degree auto the does a nice circular arc from right to left and ends up perfectly centered with the ice runway, touch down at speed, and then to a half piro so now you're skating backwards, and then another half back to forwards. As the speed stops I keep it light on the skids and give rudder, and you can go around and around about 4 to 5 times before it comes to a stop. Its really neat.

Then when the ice gets hard, this is weird, you can spool up to half stick, and then add negative pitch and forward elevator, and you can accelerate the helicopter backwards on the ice. Ice needs to be hard otherwise this maneuver will dig in, but given good conditions it can pickup speed and almost scare you how fast it accelerates.

I really need to get a camera I can attach to my head. Anyone know of a good one that can take really good high quality video, and not need to be zoomed in to show something? I'm expecting a video that looks like the naked eye seeing the helicopter as if you were there, and being on my head so it automatically tracks where I look.

Let me know if you know of a good camera model for this that works well, I need good quality video, price is not an issue within reason.

-=>Raja.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

To mount on your hat, the gold standard would be the latest model GoPro.
, Futaba 18SZ
Old 01-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Grounded...

... I think even Raja wont be able to fly today!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Taunton MA
941 AM EST Thu Jan 4 2018

MAZ005-042245-
/O.CON.KBOX.WS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-180105T0600Z/
/O.CON.KBOX.WC.A.0001.180106T0000Z-180106T1900Z/
Central Middlesex MA-
Including the cities of Framingham and Lowell
941 AM EST Thu Jan 4 2018

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST FRIDAY...
...WIND CHILL WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Heavy snow. Very cold wind chills possible. Travel will be very difficult to impossible. Tree branches could fall as well. Total snow accumulations of 12 to 16 inches are expected. Wind chills could range from 10 below zero to 25 below zero.

* WHERE...Central Middlesex MA and Western Essex MA Counties.

* WHEN...For the Winter Storm Warning, until 1 AM EST Friday. For the Wind Chill Watch, from Friday evening through Saturday afternoon.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for significant reductions in visibility at times. Cold wind chills as low as 25 below zero will cause frostbite in as little as 30 minutes to exposed skin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-01-04 10.25.37.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	733529  
, Futaba 18SZ

Last edited by jharkin; 01-04-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Old 01-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Grounded...

[duplicate]
, Futaba 18SZ

Last edited by jharkin; 01-04-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Old 01-04-2018, 03:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just got home 77 degrees wind west at 3 mph
Just 2 tanks on the Trex HB gasser and 2 on the Hirobo Freya

Too many $ 200.00 foam cub flyers doing touch and go's all darn morning
one guy literally did about 25 of them in a row his battery lasted for about 20 minutes
because the prop was never spinning under power most of the time
Old 01-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default No flying the last two days, just storm cleanup

Yesterday I cleaned my driveway like 4 times, 12, 4, 8 and midnight again. Today I headed off to the field to open up the place for operations once the weather improves. It was cold and windy, but that doesn't matter when you're working hard outside.

Here is a little video I shot when I arrived:

IMG 50631 (0 min 17 sec)

I should have shot more for you guys, but I was so concerned in getting in and back out I really didn't have time to shoot videos especially in the freezing cold.

I'm happy to report that after struggling for 3 hours I managed to get in, clean up and get back out. Tires chains were necessary, the snow is at least 18 inches deep and my truck was bottoming out on it. I had to download the snow blower several times to get in, once before heartbreak hill, once 1/2 way down in the other side, and once more just past the house.

Tomorrow promises to be cold and windy, but Sunday looks nice, low winds will be cold but with low winds it will be easy to take.

-=>Raja.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.