Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

For 2018, I've set all the FBL flight timers to 0 and I keep track of the fuel mixed and used. I'll update periodically and if any major events occur.

All of them run on 91 pump gas and Redline. The Hanson has 38l through it, the OS GT15 at 7.5l and the T10 at 10l.

Cold at the moment with temps in the morning from 16 to 20C. Windy too.

Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

So, the ink wasn't even dry on the page ............... the GT15 ate itself. It looks like the head came off the bolt holding the conrod and went thru the crankcase. Made a mess of the rest of the internals too.

Done with it. I probably stuck with it for longer than most in any case.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default The OS15 is trash

No matter what you do they don't last. Sad fact but it is what it is.

Today was -8F this morning. Now its +2. Should warm up to the teens, I plan to head to the field soon and enjoy the snow while its all powder. Next week well warm up to +2C not F. More updates later...

-=>Raja.
rbort is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Guys, I'm guessing that you hardcore winter fliers have no issues getting your gassers fired up? Anything special or tricks you know? Nitro seems hard to get running in the cold. Thanks. Mark
mbaulfinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default No not much to do

Really doesn't make alot of difference with gassers, you have to pull it a few more times than on a 70 degree day which is 1 pull for me, but it starts easily non the less. Once warmed up, then its 1 pull also even on a 10 degree day, that doesn't change.

You do have to tune them for the colder weather also, to make more power, but that's also quite easy to do. You can tell from the engine performance if it needs more gas or not. You do that once for winter flying, not every day like nitros, and then once again for summer flying later in March/April...

-=>Raja.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bustin' in for some cold weather flying!!

Well, I made it into the field, and back out of the field. Wasn't easy, but I managed. Had to put the chains on, close the gate behind me so no stupid person attempts to drive in with their jeep and get stuck like one year sometime ago, and drive with determination. Here is a video of the way in:

IMG 50791 (4 min 32 sec)

There was alot of drift from the wind the past couple days and the tracks got filled in after heartbreak hill as well as half of my flying space on the left side. A good thing I brought the snowblower with me as I was able to tidy all that back up before starting the flying day. I did the left side first, pulled the truck back into the spot, then flew 1 flight, did the right side, then flew another flight, and cleaned up the top of the road.

After I finished cleaning up I shot this video for you guys to see:

IMG 50801 (1 min 25 sec)

The temperature was 14 down to 10F today but the winds were very very light or non existant which made it feel great. I really like the snow pack cover and flying over it, it really is just a nice change from summer and bugs, the worms what destroyed my neck one day, remember than nasty rash?? I'll take this any day thank you!

It was such a nice day I had to land mid flight and shoot a short clip:

IMG 50821 (0 min 55 sec)

I ended up getting 4 flights in all and packed up the leave at 4pm. There was some daylight left but it was 10 degrees and I figured I better try to get out before it gets dark in case I have to mess with the snoblower or whatnot to leave.

On the way out I got stuck in that mess before the field house. I managed to back up out of it back to the cleared away and found that my tire chain fell off the front right tire. I grabbed it and good thing I still had daylight it was easy to reinstall back on in the clearing. With it back I started up again and it feels like you're doing though solid butter. I managed to get past the container but up the back side of heartbreak hill was tough again. I got out of the track and had to crave a new one. Up 10 feet down 30 feet and repeat. I got out a couple of times to check on the chains and one time I caught the front right tire again starting to come off. So I fixed it right away and continued onwards. Within a couple more attempts I crested the top and the rest was home free so to speak. It was a little tense with concentrated driving and small steering adjustments the whole way to stay in the track. It was almost as intense as flying a full scale helicopter. You needed to make the right corrections to stay on track.

Got to the gate, stopped, open the gate, move the truck out, close the gate, then drive up to the road, remove the chains, switch back to 2wd, and I'm on my way home. Its a process, but the rewards are great its nice to be able to fly instead of being snowed in for a couple of months...!

MA 1005 = 2
Whiplash V2 = 2

2018 count:

MA 1005 = 8
Spectra-g = 3
Whiplash V1 = 2
Whiplash V2 = 2

Total = 15
Gallons Mixed = 2 (was running out mixed another gallon at home today).

-=>Raja.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5081[2].jpg
Views:	51
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	733967  
Old 01-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outing today between 12:40 and 3:40pm

Came out early to meet Ansy and give him a pipe wrench so he can screw the broken hose off the faucet at his house. It was a beautiful day, a definite +1 for snow cover, top notch!

I came with the shovel and two tire chains instead of 4, getting "lazy" I figured it should be enough. I can say that they were barely enough, I managed to get in but no way without them. Again some tense driving moments trying to keep moving and staying in the track, by the house I got stuck again and it took several forward and back attempts before I managed to get back in track and get out to my plowed space.

I started out with the Spectra for 3, then the Whiplash for 3 more. Thought to shoot a video for you of the Spectra skating on the snow/ice as something different to see. Ended it with an auto that slides "pluck" into the snow back for a stop, Pete always loved this move back in 2014 timeframe. Check this out and enjoy:

IMG 50941 (3 min 34 sec)

My gas can was inflated like a balloon, even in the winter. Reason is that last time I used it the temp was in the teens, and today we were in the mid 30's or about 20 degrees warmer. I took a picture for you to see below. Today the temp held steady the whole day between 34 and 35F, I felt it was because I was at the bottom of a "cooler", surrounded by ice the air temp might be a smidgen warmer but the ice held it steady where I was sitting.

Spectra-g = 3
Whiplash V2 = 3

2018 count:

MA 1005 = 8
Spectra-g = 6
Whiplash V1 = 2
Whiplash V2 = 5

Total = 21
Gallons Mixed = 2

-=>Raja.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5092[1].jpg
Views:	16
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	734349  

Last edited by rbort; 01-20-2018 at 02:48 PM..
Old 01-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nice

Very nice video. It ALMOST made me miss snow 😜

What camera are you using for your videos?

Kandace
Hovergirl01 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Admit it, you miss snow!

Snow better than sand girl!!!

Its my iphone 5s, I put it on top of the Whiplash canopy and leaned it against the main shaft. I need some sort of head mount...

It was alot of fun when I had the long runway to the left of my spot to slide on. Today I felt cooped up in a little circle. Its like a carrier heli pad out in the middle of a sea of snow, every Auto has to end up in this little circle, otherwise its buried to the top of the canopy and I have to wade through snow to get it. Not doing that...!

-=>Raja.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:31 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought helicopters aremenat to fly... I saw people used RC cars for this kind of fun...

But other than that...

Klem
goodhunting is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
...every Auto has to end up in this little circle, otherwise its buried to the top of the canopy and I have to wade through snow to get it. Not doing that...!
That is what "Fun Noddle's" are for! Cut them to the length of your skids, and slit them down the middle. Wire tie to the skids, and "wa-la", snow shoes! Your heli won't sink into the snow, plus it helps with orientation against the horizon.

Besides...what is snow??? We had snow...now, grass. Yea, today it is 52 degrees and all our snow is gone. Bye-bye!

Citizen 654
rcnut is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm going to ask them if I can take my gasser in ??

https://www.theplaymania.com/skidubai/about-us

The closest I'll ever get to play in the snow with it.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Its indoors

I think you'll have a better chance with an electric as they are not going to like the exhaust inside...

But it really does look like a cool place to be, literally, in Dubai. Where are you located anyways, what town and place?

Its 49F here today or 9c, my snow is getting destroyed! We have lots so some will survive, but no more ice skating I'm sure on Sunday when I go again, it will be 24F then. My space will be all grass by then, guaranteed...

-=>Raja.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

ugh now that the snow is melting, today my roof is leaking No fun for me....
, Futaba 18SZ
jharkin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbort View Post
....... Where are you located anyways, what town and place? -=>Raja.
In the Saudi capital. We go to DXB to "top up and hydrate" proper, quite often, but I don't think I can fly with golf clubs and a heli.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have spent many years in the Magic Kingdom, Riyadh, Jeddah, and a few other places I can't talk to you about! My best times there were at 10 to 20 meters below the surface in the Red Sea. No snow issues there for sure.

And Raja, your "snow" videos are always incredible. You handle that hard core environment weather so well! And it is always so beautiful and great that I am NOT there!

No new totals for me this week. Burned up a charger last week, so can't refuel the batteries. A new charger just arrived this afternoon and I sent the old one sent back for repair, so next time, I will have a spare. Flights coming for me during the soon to be long weekend.

Steve
Old 01-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Three more for the gasser today and two on the Freya
Yesterday was a two Gasser day and two on the Synergy N5

I have to find a place where I dont have wait for the plankers to get there 25 in a row touch and go's done

Watching and waiting for three different people to get done with all those touch and go's is getting old especially when one gets done then the next one go's up and so on

I think I will buy a cheap 12 x12 tarp and go out in the desert an fly
Old 01-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Short outing today between 1 and 3

After two to three days of almost 60 degree weather, the snow is almost all gone and the tolerance for the cold seemed to go with it. I went to the field today to find the outfield all clear down to the grass, the only snow left is the snowblower piles and the stuff in the shade next to the tree line on the south side.

The temperature was coldish at 18-19F, and somehow I got used to 60's weather or something of that nature I never felt comfortable today. I guess it had something to do with the wind as well. After a flight in the normal orientation, I moved my truck to face the wind and the next two flights felt a little bit better with the wind to my back which gusted to 13mph today. Due to that, I'd rate the day a 5 out of 10 even though it was mostly sunny.

Wasn't quite my day though, I got in the truck to move it and forgot about a couple of things. After I moved to face NW, I saw my gas can on the ground flipped over. Man, luckily I didn't flatten it with the tire. It was behind the truck and I must have just clipped it with the tire to flip it, but there were no marks on it. Not only that, the 1005 was next to the truck on the right side and I cut the wheel after backing up some, its a good thing I missed that too. Imagine having to write you guys here and say "I ran over the 1005 today...?!" Geez....and to round it off I forgot my 1-2-3's after an auto and released throttle hold with idle up 1 on and Nik'ed the blades. Nik Johnson was asking about tail blades with "Nik"'s in the trailing edge of the root on facebook and he wouldn't fly them any more. Jeez, he should see my main blades....

Anyway I got 1 flight on the 1005, then two more on the Whiplash. Was going to pull out the Spectra but wasn't feeling it today. I did take a walk to warm up some (didn't help much with wind blowing and teens) and found the deer skeleton practically eaten and licked to the last drop of meat. Some animals moved it around and flipped the bones upside down to eat the back side. Crazy how nothing goes to waste in nature...!

MA 1005 = 1
Whiplash V2 = 2

2018 count:

MA 1005 = 9
Spectra-g = 6
Whiplash V1 = 2
Whiplash V2 = 7

Total = 24
Gallons Mixed = 3.25

I mixed some more gas from my stash in the garage, was running low again. Below some pictures of the field. Jeff showed up, the guy who helped me fish Val's drone out of the river with his canoe, and hung around for a bit and chatted, watched a little bit of flying before freezing up walking back to his truck.

-=>Raja.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5113[1].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	734775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5114[1].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	734776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5115[1].jpg
Views:	24
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	734777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5116[1].jpg
Views:	29
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	734778  

Last edited by rbort; 01-20-2018 at 02:49 PM..
Old 01-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Long, Cold, and Windy Weekend

Almost too windy to fly the 450s (12 - 15 Mph) and cold on Saturday (High of 53) and Sunday (High of 57), starting to warm up on Monday. I am serious though about working on quickly beating my 198 flights last year and approaching that 1,000 flights this year, so I kept working at it Saturday and Sunday. The continued work on Inverted at altitude is paying off, but not ready to come down too much yet.

Saturday
B450X-4S = 8
B450XL-6S = 3
B600X = 3

Sunday
B450X-4S = 8
B450XL-6S = 3
B600X = 0 (FBL would not initialize properly, firmware will be flashed Tuesday)

Monday
B450X-4S = 1 (then flew away, as in LOST)

Extremely WINDY for the 450 on Monday at 17-20Mph, with stronger gusts, but I decided WTH and flew anyway at a large field near my house. The gusts were kicking it around, but got up high and practiced more inverted, which worked well, until I got a little bit far away downwind. Waiting too long to correct, I could not tell which way it was going with correction, added RESCUE a few times, drifted further downwind, and the wind stole the helicopter....

I conducted Search and Rescue efforts through heavy woods, fields, and an industrial area to no avail for about 1.5 hours. Decided to call it quits. About two hours later, I went to my local flying field, and told the story to Jack, the club president. He said lets go back and look some more and see what we can find. Well, after another 45 minutes searching, spoke to a forklift driver in the industrial complex. He said one of the guys he worked with found it and had it in his office. WOW what a lucky break!!!! Scorpion engine now only pulses, so either ESC or fried motor, blades broken, plastic frame cracked, but have a spare, everything else was minimal damage, so I was very happy to recover so much. It is great for me to finally have more than a few spare helis ready to fly.

2018 Total - 37 Flights

Steve
Old 01-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I went out and put 5 flights on my Whiplash G2 today. Beautiful day at 19F and 3mph winds. The warm weather last week meant I could get out to the field closest to me since the snow melted.

Had a good time, mounting the Ikon2 HD on Align PU gel made the rescue work reliably. Governor on the Ikon needs some tuning but is pretty close. Didnít feel like doing much tuning with the cold weather since taking my hands out of the trans mitt meant my hands froze. Inside the mitt was nice and toasty since I put a heating element inside the Jeti so the whole case is nice and warm.

Total time in the air was a bit over 50 minutes. Combined with the 3 flights I did last week thatís about an hour and 20 minutes flying so far on the Whiplash this year.
Eury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.