Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > V977/K110/K120

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 03:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default v977 tail doesn't hold. Any suggestions?

Hey guys I am new to v977. this bird arrived our door a few days ago. Had some flights, despite some mild tail wag up and down out of box, it flies nicely and fast, flip and invert with no problems.

But things went wrong after a few crashes, the tail won't hold any more! pitch pump or hard cyclic will make its tail swing to the right. I replaced the entire tail boom set and the stripped main gear but the same problem remains, now it's not safe to fly (

Anyone experienced this same problem before?
koopa137 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa137 View Post
Hey guys I am new to v977. this bird arrived our door a few days ago. Had some flights, despite some mild tail wag up and down out of box, it flies nicely and fast, flip and invert with no problems.

But things went wrong after a few crashes, the tail won't hold any more! pitch pump or hard cyclic will make its tail swing to the right. I replaced the entire tail boom set and the stripped main gear but the same problem remains, now it's not safe to fly (

Anyone experienced this same problem before?
Tail hold is pretty amazing on these for what they are, so you definitely have a problem. If you replaced the whole boom with a new motor, that should resolve any issues there. Have you taken a look at the wiring and especially the board itself. Maybe there is a crack in the solder or actual board, and the latest crash made it worse. Getting a new board is really going to be your next step unless someone else has a better idea.
yakky is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check that you don't have any up/down play on the mainshaft - the main gear could have slipped down giving you much more positive pitch...
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If all else fails pick up a second bnf k110 and use the first one for parts. Ive done that for other micros if it is a board issue.

either your tail motor is over-revving or your headspeed is dropping. Either way sounds like an esc issue imo if you put a new motor on tail. I doubt it is a main motor issue unless you main gear or pinion is slipping a tiny bit. it doesnt sound like your headspeed is an issue tho which means tail issues. might double check the connections there.
Indokast is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you guys.

After every crash first thing i checked is whether main gear has slipped. it is well in correct position.

I replaced the whole tail boom set including the tail motor, which would point right back at the ESC board as you suggested. Have looked at the wiring and the board itself couldn't detect any physical damage. I will order another ESC to see if it fixes the problem.

Cheers
Old 01-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Feathering shaft........ I know it seems completely unrelated to the tail but I have seen this many times. Last year my V977 developed tail issues, particularly not holding on pitch pumps, I thought oh.... the tail motor Is dying so popped a new one in confident it would fix the issue but the problem remained Replaced the feathering shaft and the tail was rock solid.

With these little micros, when I see tail issues, the motor is last on my suspect list. First thing I do is pop a new feathering shaft in, especially if it's had a few hard knocks in recent flights. Bent main shaft and warped or poorly balanced main blades can also affect the tail. It plays havoc with the flight controller.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Today I checked both its main shaft and spindle shaft, they are not bent and in good condition. Charged up the battery and give it another try, tail still doesn't hold well when flying hard. However at reduced pitch range it flies fine. i will include a new esc board in my next shipment. cheers
Old 01-31-2018, 03:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail blades can crack through the motor spindle hole , hard to see but slips like crazy under load...... Try a new tail blade.

Most guys upgrade to the k110 motor and tail blade or the k110 motor / K120 tail blade
kiwi-craig is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm having the exact same problem OP describes with my K110. It happened after a few crashes. The main shaft isn't bent, and neither is the feathering shaft. Based on this thread, it sounds like the issue is either the main board or the ESC - if the OP is still here, which one did you order, and did it solve the problem? The ESC is cheaper - I'm debating ordering another ESC, or do I need a whole new main board?
brad24 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Obviously I can't say 100% it's a shaft or blade balance but I can say this..... testing them using the rolling method is far from foolproof with these tiny little parts. I've had shafts that looked ok visually but we're out by a hair and that's enough to cause issues on these nano class models.

I just don't understand why you would start with two of the most expensive parts on the model. New feathering shaft and blades are cheap as chips, infact they're cheaper than a bag of chips

A worn/damaged main gear is another potential cause for tail issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.