Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC > Spartan Vortex

Spartan Vortex Spartan RC - Vortex VX1 Factory Support Forum

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 06:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is the VX2 still stated for a release in 2018

I couldn't resist happy flying all in 2018

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G928F met Tapatalk
MrEmail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm holding my breath waiting....
Shogun71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2018, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whereís the fingers crossed emoji?! Hope things are going well, Angelos!

Steve
Old 01-16-2018, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

i hope its still in the works as well! It may be just the convincing i need to upgrade my flybarred 700NP to FBL *without* having crashed it first!
HoffY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2018, 03:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

any news and if so hope they make it work with SPM4649T set up integration
Old 07-16-2018, 03:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any sparks of life out of the spartan camp lately?
GAUI NX7, TREX 600N, Goblin 570, Gaui X3L, DX7G2, AMA#970963 Citizen 420
907Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907Heli View Post
Any sparks of life out of the spartan camp lately?
sadly, I gave up and switched to vcontrol. I loved my vortex's, still do.. so easy to set up and fly great.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well I won't expect something new soon. It will probably continue with delivery of vx1e but if you want more. You should investigate if an other system is better. But I still like the vortex

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angelos is working on something big.......... He use to visit this forum allot once the vortex vx1 was released. He is busy now working on the vx2 which he said as a huge project for him.

I think he will also be working on a spartan TX. I remember him mentioning he would like to introduce a Spartan TX ages ago way before the v control was released on a market.

My guess he is working on the vx2 with a totally new platform, Spartan transmitter and possibly integration with other systems. It would be a huge task to complete all this by 2018.
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would guess unless one has a specific line to Angelos himself that any talk about the VX2 release is pure speculation.

The last time Angelos chimed in was on hearing rumors that he left Spartan and that the company may be in financial trouble. After dispelling those 2 rumors, he did go on to say that he was focusing on his family and rarely checks the forum anymore.

I think it is reasonable to guess a couple of things. One, Angelos never addressed the major question about when the VX2 would be realeased. He is an extremely smart man, and I can only believe he did not address the question because he did not want to absolutely rule it out and go back on his word that he would be releasing a new unit.

However, the market reality is what it is and I'm sure he more than anyone knows the financial risk of bringing a new unit to the market. And the passage of time does not help. Virtually every other unit has these features and some type of TX integration. And the more time that passes the more people move to a different platform. Once they do it's difficult to win them back; especially if it's a complete change to an integrated Tx and FBL platform like the vcontrol. It's also difficult to charge a premium with the very completitive full feature alternatives out there.

So simply, I believe that Angelos is stuck between his word to his customers and fans and the market and his personal life. I would guess the best compromise he could make is perhaps another firmware update to existing units which incorporates the rescue feature and if possible additional TX integration. This way there is little financial risk and is a way to keep some of his promises and customer base.
Zermelo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Currently he and his company are working on uav products I doubt he has time left for the RC market plus he needs to make money and the RC industry is not the place to be right now for alot of profit margin.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did Angelos actually say all his focus now was on the UAV market?

Last Thing I remember him saying was he was extremely busy and the vx2 is huge project.

There was no mention of a completion date... however there was also no mention of him not working on the vx2 either.

He posted a photo of the vx2 in Jan 2017 on facebook.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...52&oe=5BDDBAE6

I doubt he would just abandon this without letting us know about it,
Old 07-21-2018, 06:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmail View Post
Currently he and his company are working on uav products I doubt he has time left for the RC market plus he needs to make money and the RC industry is not the place to be right now for alot of profit margin.

Have a look at the facebook club spartan group.

Angelo post in there to answer people questions about the vx1. His last post was in June this year.

He would not be there if he had no time for the RC heli market anymore.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl5973 View Post
Did Angelos actually say all his focus now was on the UAV market?

Last Thing I remember him saying was he was extremely busy and the vx2 is huge project.

There was no mention of a completion date... however there was also no mention of him not working on the vx2 either.

He posted a photo of the vx2 in Jan 2017 on facebook.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...52&oe=5BDDBAE6

I doubt he would just abandon this without letting us know about it,
Well, while he did not mention an exact completion date, he did very clearly say that it would be released late in 2017:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...x2#post7208535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
Indeed, not going anywhere. In fact VX2 is well into development for targeted release next summer. It is a substantial effort as everything is moving to a new CPU platform which has been a huge learning curve for me. Also it means that some old software pieces like firmware bootloader, firmware encryption, USB interface firmware, some production tools all have to be done again as they are not transferable to the new platform as easy as the flight algorithms.

I am sure someone will ask about rescue on the existing units, here is the situation... Currently I am developing things on VX2 since that has a substantially faster CPU with floating point hardware. This means that I can code and try things more lazy without consideration how efficient the software and math operations are. When things work perfectly I can then optimise the math and provide rescue on existing units. If it's possible it will be done, you won't be left out.

-Angelos
That was 12/8/2016. So next summer means 2017. In fact, it was based off this statement why this thread was made, 2017 came and went, and the VX2 still wasn't released. Angelos is very wary about putting timelines unless he expects to make them. Especially after the constant asking about Governor and Jeti integration. So he would not have said that without knowing he would be held to it.

It's now a year past that. It's doubtful to think that his estimates would be that far off. Based off his last public post on Heliaddicts where he said:

Spartan RC - Page 4

Quote:
I don't spend much time on the Internet these days. I already work long hours and the kids are older and need more of my attention.
I would surmise that whatever is happening is a mix of both personal and professional reasons. We have to be realistic: the FBL market is what it is. It is saturated with many good units, and it appears that at one point Angelos had a very clear plan: he was working with Bert Krammerer who was marketing Spartan products, he just finished Jeti integration, and Bert just presented the Jeti DS-14 BK edition, and he was working on the VX2.

It looks as if he wanted to finish Jeti integration so that Bert could help market it with his DS-14, so there would be an integrated system, then he wanted to develop a new Platform for release which would improve the ability to add new features.

Somewhere down the line either personal or market forces changed things. What we do know that last time he did publicly respond on forums he never directly ruled out the VX2 release, even after he was bombarded with questions about it. So that in itselft tells me he wants to leave the possibility open to keep his promise to his customers to the extent he can. But in the end if it is too risky given the current market and lapse in time, then we can't realisticly expect him to go forward.

As I said, I think if he can he will continue to release firmware updates for current products as they become viable. So he can at least do something for those who have been waiting.

EDIT: On the upside, like a few other FBL units, they also double as units for Drone stabilization. So I wouldn't doubt that Angelos is also incorporting this into whatever he may be working on. So in that regard, if the VX2 can be released as both a Drone stabilization unit and heli Flybarless unit then there is more market viability. Although the drone market is also saturated with such products as well.

Last edited by Zermelo; 07-21-2018 at 10:38 AM..
Old 07-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

ďAs I said, I think if he can he will continue to release firmware updates for current products as they become viable. So he can at least do something for those who have been waiting.Ē

No firmware needed, probably one of the best units going. No flair and unnecessary BS, just an amazing flying unit thatís super easy to setup and tune. Sounds simple but there are other units out there that do not achieve this, even after a horrendous amount of updates. I could only imagine a VX2, add that pure flying capability with some bells and whistles....winner!!
The Spartan governor is amazing, the Datapod is damn cool. I could go on but I donít want to sound like a fanboy.

Steve
Old 07-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

if there was a firmware update that included rescue, even if I had to pay for it, I would have stayed.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zermelo View Post
Well, while he did not mention an exact completion date, he did very clearly say that it would be released late in 2017:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...x2#post7208535

That was 12/8/2016. So next summer means 2017. In fact, it was based off this statement why this thread was made, 2017 came and went, and the VX2 still wasn't released. Angelos is very wary about putting timelines unless he expects to make them. Especially after the constant asking about Governor and Jeti integration. So he would not have said that without knowing he would be held to it.

It's now a year past that. It's doubtful to think that his estimates would be that far off. Based off his last public post on Heliaddicts where he said:

Spartan RC - Page 4

I would surmise that whatever is happening is a mix of both personal and professional reasons. We have to be realistic: the FBL market is what it is. It is saturated with many good units, and it appears that at one point Angelos had a very clear plan: he was working with Bert Krammerer who was marketing Spartan products, he just finished Jeti integration, and Bert just presented the Jeti DS-14 BK edition, and he was working on the VX2.

It looks as if he wanted to finish Jeti integration so that Bert could help market it with his DS-14, so there would be an integrated system, then he wanted to develop a new Platform for release which would improve the ability to add new features.

Somewhere down the line either personal or market forces changed things. What we do know that last time he did publicly respond on forums he never directly ruled out the VX2 release, even after he was bombarded with questions about it. So that in itselft tells me he wants to leave the possibility open to keep his promise to his customers to the extent he can. But in the end if it is too risky given the current market and lapse in time, then we can't realisticly expect him to go forward.

As I said, I think if he can he will continue to release firmware updates for current products as they become viable. So he can at least do something for those who have been waiting.

EDIT: On the upside, like a few other FBL units, they also double as units for Drone stabilization. So I wouldn't doubt that Angelos is also incorporting this into whatever he may be working on. So in that regard, if the VX2 can be released as both a Drone stabilization unit and heli Flybarless unit then there is more market viability. Although the drone market is also saturated with such products as well.
I agree with you on most of what you have mentioned.

However allot has changed in the market with progression of FBL units in terms of integration and so what.....

Angelos probably had to make changes to his implementations of what he originally planned to have with the vx2. This is probably why he could not release the vx2 in summer 2017. There is no point releasing a fbl unit that just performs and has the same funtions as every other FBL unit on the market. He is probably changes his original plans as to the functionality of the vx2.It would make more sense to have a FBL unit that works with Heli, drones and planes to cover a broader aspect of the RC heli industry.

The Sparten vortex was not selling badly causing him to abandon what he planned to realease for the vx2. I remember he mentioned he had enough funds to continued for the next few years. Maybe he likes drones and want to expand into that field.

It is not like the drone market is extremely profitable, Bert and Bobby Watts tried to get a share of the drone market and failed hence whey they came back to focus on heli market.

As far as firmware upgrades. I can't see that happening as his focus would be on the vx2, If that was his plan we would have seen a few firmware upgrades by now
Old 07-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl5973 View Post
I agree with you on most of what you have mentioned.

However allot has changed in the market with progression of FBL units in terms of integration and so what.....

Angelos probably had to make changes to his implementations of what he originally planned to have with the vx2. This is probably why he could not release the vx2 in summer 2017. There is no point releasing a fbl unit that just performs and has the same funtions as every other FBL unit on the market. He is probably changes his original plans as to the functionality of the vx2.It would make more sense to have a FBL unit that works with Heli, drones and planes to cover a broader aspect of the RC heli industry.

The Sparten vortex was not selling badly causing him to abandon what he planned to realease for the vx2. I remember he mentioned he had enough funds to continued for the next few years. Maybe he likes drones and want to expand into that field.

It is not like the drone market is extremely profitable, Bert and Bobby Watts tried to get a share of the drone market and failed hence whey they came back to focus on heli market.

As far as firmware upgrades. I can't see that happening as his focus would be on the vx2, If that was his plan we would have seen a few firmware upgrades by now
Well, what we can really both agree on is that we want to see new developments from Spartan. That is the only reason I lurk on this forum and by the looks of it, not only me.

I like tonys-heli, have kind of moved on to V-bar. BUT, I still have my origianl VX1, and 3 VX1ns that I bought pretty much upon their original release, so were probably talking close to $800-$900 worth of units that I intend to keep just in case Angelos does release a firmware update with rescue.

I'm not going to get into the "rescue" debate, but in todays market, it's really just a standard feature and pretty much the only thing left - in the heli market - that Angelos could add. And based on his own statement, I don't see why he wouldn't IF it is at all possible, and given the fact that the original Ikon with similar hardware did it as well as numerous other companies on their last generation platforms (Spirit, Bavarian Demon, etc.), I don't see why it isn't feasible.

Clearly, the release of a solid new entry with cross-aerial-RC appeal, would appear to be most profitable in conjunction with proper marketing, but for a man as smart as Angelos, I'm sure he's looking at many things even beyond RC. So besides that ll we can do is hope.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have ALL of my vortex's from converting over to vcontrol.. prob 20 of them!
Old 07-21-2018, 10:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys-heli View Post
I have ALL of my vortex's from converting over to vcontrol.. prob 20 of them!
Damn!! You replaced 20 vortex's with Neos? You got it going on!! Glad to hear you still have hope for Spartan!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in