Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Goblin 280

Goblin 280 SAB Heli Division - Goblin 280 Helicopters

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrman83

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fireball 280 loss of power during midflight

My setup is a pulse 1050 45 C hobbywing 50-amp Platinum ESC BEC is set at 7.4 volts cyclic servos kst 215 tail Servo SAB DS12. Skookum 720 BE no GPS
testing tail on the280with some mild pitch pump then it cuts power drops regains power and I still had to hit throttle to hold it was falling too fast. maybe drop a cell I will check but it would not completely cut power can't think of anything. When I walked up to it it was powered on Pretty Dirty so I shut it down. Have a YouTube video Goblin 280 power loss mid-flight but letting my phone upload all day works fine anyway thank you for reading
I am out of answers

Last edited by backshed904; 01-21-2018 at 09:40 PM..
backshed904 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

[QUOTE=backshed904;7523749]My setup is a pulse 1050 45 C hobbywing 50-amp Platinum ESC BEC is set at 7.4 volts cyclic servos kst 215 tail Servo SAB DS12. Skookum 720 BE no GPS
testing tail on the280with some mild pitch pump then it cuts power drops regains power and I still had to hit throttle to hold it was falling too fast. maybe drop a cell I will check but it would not completely cut power can't think of anything. When I walked up to it it was powered on Pretty Dirty so I shut it down. Have a YouTube video Goblin 280 power loss mid-flight but letting my phone upload all day works fine anyway thank you for reading
I am out of answers. Here is a link haveing trouble uploading. Around 1:50 in the flight it drops and tries to regain.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sudden loss of power like that will 9 times out of 10 be due to a bad soldering joint either in your motor/esc wires or you battery/esc wires. Also, make sure your throttle signal wire (the one that comes off the ESC and plugs into the FBL) is well secured into the FBL Unit. If you're using and ESC with an internal BEC, a loose connection here will cause the entire system to lose Rx power.

What kind of FBL are you using? What ESC? Are you running Spektrum, Futaba, Vcontrol? etc. Provide more details.
DCflyer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
Sudden loss of power like that will 9 times out of 10 be due to a bad soldering joint either in your motor/esc wires or you battery/esc wires. Also, make sure your throttle signal wire (the one that comes off the ESC and plugs into the FBL) is well secured into the FBL Unit. If you're using and ESC with an internal BEC, a loose connection here will cause the entire system to lose Rx power.

What kind of FBL are you using? What ESC? Are you running Spektrum, Futaba, Vcontrol? etc. Provide more details.
I thought I listed my set up in the beginning but I look back on the data sheet for Skookum 720 and I never lost power as far as the flybarless system shows .03 to .07 very very good. I knew from my set up. As look down the data sheet all seems fine acept when it hit the ground and it registered 26.7 in magnitude. I have a video it's on YouTube I can't get it to load up here when I walked up to it it was still powered on when it was flying it sounded fine and then it's almost like I hit throttle hold and then switched it back on which I know I didn't do. I would never ask the question I would simply pretty much figure it out but if you listen in the video you will see that will make you think
"Goblin Fireball 280 loss of power mid-flight" you tube
Old 01-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just copy/paste the link.

SAB Goblin 280 power loss in mid flight (3 min 4 sec)
Old 01-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very strange.

From the sound, it's like you all of a sudden lose power, but then the motor revs up back again but you get no lift. As if the shaft had de-coupled from the motor. Weird. I don't have this particular heli so it's hard to tell.

EDIT: heard it a couple more times. looks like the motor goes off then back up gain. If you had lost the FBL (full loss of power aka brown-out), you would have to wait until initialization. So to me looks like there is something wrong with your motor. Looks like you lose the motor, then regain it and likely you flipped the heli and thus the large "THUD" sound on the crash. Doesn't sound like it just "dropped from the sky" but more like slammed into the ground. I would say that the only thing that loses power momentarily is the motor. I don't know if someone else agrees with this theory.

EDIT 2: just brainstorming here. Or the ESC bailout kicked in and revved the motor back up after a loss of throttle signal. So maybe as DCFlyer said it's a bad ESC throttle wire. Maybe all the way down to the ESC. I think since the ESC is cheaper than the motor you could start by replacing the ESC. But again just brainstorming. On issues that are difficult to troubleshoot, sadly the best way is to simply start replacing components until you find the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backshed904 View Post
I thought I listed my set up in the beginning but I look back on the data sheet for Skookum 720 and I never lost power as far as the flybarless system shows .03 to .07 very very good. I knew from my set up. As look down the data sheet all seems fine acept when it hit the ground and it registered 26.7 in magnitude. I have a video it's on YouTube I can't get it to load up here when I walked up to it it was still powered on when it was flying it sounded fine and then it's almost like I hit throttle hold and then switched it back on which I know I didn't do. I would never ask the question I would simply pretty much figure it out but if you listen in the video you will see that will make you think
"Goblin Fireball 280 loss of power mid-flight" you tube
Old 01-23-2018, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't see the video but from the description this sounds like LVC (low voltage cuttoff)
This is especially likely in cold weather. Have you tried reducing the LVC value?

The fact that it occurred during a pitch pump points strongly to it being LVC rather than a random radio glitch.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by backshed904 View Post
My setup is a pulse 1050 45 C hobbywing 50-amp Platinum ESC BEC is set at 7.4 volts cyclic servos kst 215 tail Servo SAB DS12. Skookum 720 BE no GPS
I am out of answers
SAB goblin fireball 280 loss of power in mid-flight (1 min 32 sec)
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00009500146723

Last edited by backshed904; 01-23-2018 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: Add video
Old 01-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default thanks for the help uploading

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
thanks i thought thats what i was doing but it works from face book that way
Old 01-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Electrostatic discharge...That exactly what it looks like...did you run the ground wire?if you did, did you securely solder both sides? If so, did you scrape the motor plate until the black anodizing came off? if any one of these issues was not done, that's your answer...almost guaranteed...
Chase 360, Goblin Fireball, Protos 380, Trioblin 570, Trioblin 700, Chronos 700, Synergy N7, Protos Max V2 Leggero 800 EVO, DJI Inspire 1, Mavic Pro, Vortex 280, Mojo 280, Blade 200x, Jeti DS-14 MSH Brain2
RCHN #604
rchelipastor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelipastor View Post
Electrostatic discharge...That exactly what it looks like...did you run the ground wire?if you did, did you securely solder both sides? If so, did you scrape the motor plate until the black anodizing came off? if any one of these issues was not done, that's your answer...almost guaranteed...
took it out today without any issues actually ran the battery lower I did not scrape the anodize I figured the screw threading would catch enough of that I did run it inside the plastic tail boom I have the carbon fiber boom on there now I will check that again and make sure
Old 01-28-2018, 07:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

To rule out a LVC issue, where is yours currently set to and is it set to "soft"? You could lower the LVC point quite a bit to see if it goes away.

IMO, sounds like a static hit. This will usually cause a signal loss then to fail-safe which kills motor power. Power still remains to everything and the motor will try to start back up immediately if you have not hit TH once signal is regained.
Thickfog likes this.

Oxy 2/3/4; P380; Logo 700 project starting soon; DX9
Lynx Heli Innovations Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2018, 04:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was a condition called load soar from rotor lockout similar to what you're saying... Not a ESD IT WAS GROUNDED LOOK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rub away antistatic~2_1517222957537.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	736096  
Old 03-31-2018, 03:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ever resolved?

Backshed,
Did you ever get this issue resolved? Had my g280 go in a couple of days ago in what sounds like a similar problem. Different FBL (ikon2) but otherwise sounds similar. Sudden drop into the ground at slow forward level flight. I'm suspicious of a static hit as I didn't have the static kit installed but belt was well lubed with silicone. Looks like you had the kit installed so now I'm wondering again.
--Tom
Old 04-01-2018, 09:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvoth3 View Post
Backshed,
Did you ever get this issue resolved? Had my g280 go in a couple of days ago in what sounds like a similar problem. Different FBL (ikon2) but otherwise sounds similar. Sudden drop into the ground at slow forward level flight. I'm suspicious of a static hit as I didn't have the static kit installed but belt was well lubed with silicone. Looks like you had the kit installed so now I'm wondering again.
--Tom
Mine got taken down twice by static. Did you some testing to verify and yup. Installed the static kit and all good. Killed my mini vbar though.

I silicone my belts too. Didn't help in this instance.

Verify that everything stops working though. If it's a static hit servos, motor will stop briefly or for a while. Then start right back up depending on your radio system and settings.
Thickfog is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog View Post
Mine got taken down twice by static. Did you some testing to verify and yup. Installed the static kit and all good. Killed my mini vbar though.

I silicone my belts too. Didn't help in this instance.

Verify that everything stops working though. If it's a static hit servos, motor will stop briefly or for a while. Then start right back up depending on your radio system and settings.
OK. Thanks Thickfog. When I rebuild I'll be sure to use the static kit.
Tom
Old 04-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Electro

That's for sure an electrostatic discharge I just had the same thing happen once close to the ground and the second resulted in a crash. You have to completely grind away the hard powdercoating and solder it up right and your golden
Heliboy8613 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.