Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > eXo

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dunkonu23
  • 1 Post By fluxcapacitor121
  • 1 Post By dunkonu23

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2018, 04:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is this right?

I'm getting ready to bolt all the major components together.

I thought I'd check the tail boom fit before I mounted the sub-frame in the monocoque.

I can't get the boom to sit between the clamps. The carbon is flexing farther than I'm comfortable with.

Have I done something wrong? I've tripled checked the manual, I don't believe I have.

I suppose once the clamp bolts are tightened, the whole thing will compress a bit. That and the top clamp halves will be bolted to the sides of the monocoque. I just don't want to break anything
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	735998  
Old Friends--Trex 700n, Trex 600n, Compass EXO, Gaui X5, Blade 450x, Blade 180cfx, Blade 130x, Blade mcpx, Walkera 4#6

Last edited by fluxcapacitor121; 01-28-2018 at 05:06 AM..
fluxcapacitor121 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Clamps

I too remember that being a problem at first but can not remember the fix. Seems like it had something to do with moving the boom all the way forward without the bottom clamps in place. Then making sure the boom was pressed firmly into the top clamp then adding the bottom clamps. May have even loosened the belt tensioners temporarily. Might even have flexed the bottom clamps a bit by pulling on them. Also make sure the front clamp is not thinner than the back clamp. Might try switching them. Like I said its been a while but once together it fits well.

Chris
Blueabyss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you look closely at your picture, the inner and outer frame halves are flexing outward. I think once you start screws into the actual clamping portion of the boom clamps, you will see things go together quite well. Additionally, you are inserting boom without any loading on the inner frame halves. I've done this, too. It works but you have to be extra careful so you do not overload the inner frames. Overloading the inner frame halves can cause them to flex to the point where the holes in the cross members do not align with the holes in the monocoque.

Scott
Ah Clem likes this.

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alright thanks guys.

I'm gonna press on.
Ah Clem likes this.
Old Friends--Trex 700n, Trex 600n, Compass EXO, Gaui X5, Blade 450x, Blade 180cfx, Blade 130x, Blade mcpx, Walkera 4#6
fluxcapacitor121 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2018, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The boom will be a tight fit no matter what you do. The reason is this: The original design had one plastic and one metal boom clamp. This was because the original boom was thinner than the production boom and because testing revealed some resonance which was isolated to the boom clamps. Changing both clamps to metal and making the boom thicker made the fit tighter. It works.

Scott
PowerDyne likes this.

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting. Yeah, it's gonna be tight. I totally see what you mean about installing the boom in the clamps without the monocoque. The clamps will be held perpendicular to the boom when I actually assemble it.

Since you mention boom resonance...

I'm trying to decide where to mount my vbar sensor. This heli is clearly designed for a all-in-one flybarless. I'm determined to install a silverline vbar, though I might have to find a used mini.

The best place I've found (or worst for all I know) is just above the boom, inverted, between the 2 upper boom clamp halves. Photo attached.

Am I asking for vibe trouble here? I've run the silverline on nitros with the thinnest of tape. I have the same sensor, inverted, under the main aluminum plate of my goblin. Same plate that holds the motor, main shaft, and gear shaft. Sab recommends that location though.

I'm sure the flybarless mount on the exo is properly isolated from vibes, but it's a little small for 2 components. If I put the sensor on there, I'm gonna be shoe-horning the control unit somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	736089  

Last edited by fluxcapacitor121; 01-29-2018 at 12:28 AM..
Old 01-29-2018, 01:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why not put the sensor on the mount intended for the FBL unit, and the other component of the V-Bar elsewhere?

One approach might be to install a second gyro tray-I did this for my antenna mount and it works well. The other part of your V-Bar could go on the second gyro mount:

Old 01-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like that idea.

Do you have a pic of the 2nd tray?
Old 01-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fulx I spent hours trying to fit the VBAR. The sensor needs to go on the gyro sensor tray. Put the control box like I have it in the pics I sent you Its easy to get to and adjust.

Chris
Blueabyss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2018, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah man.

I think how you did it is the only way. If I put that sensor over the boom and have vibes, it's gonna be a major project to get it out. Worse yet, if it falls off in flight.

Thanks again for the pics.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

fluxcapacitor121,

2nd attempt to post photo of 2nd gyro tray...HeliFreak will not allow me to post the photo a second time-not sure where it is elsewhere on HF.

My apologies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.