Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Brain2 Mini with OpenTx

Hi all,

I've done lots of searching and haven't found anything regarding my issue and my work around yet...so I'll throw this out there.

Just picked up a Protos 380 with the Mini Brain2 unit. I'm an OpenTX user with a Horus X10S.

Of course I want to connect my FrSky receiver of choice to the Brain unit using SBus. When I get to the receiver setup screen of the software wizard I naturally select the option for "OpenTX FrSky", however when I get to the Transmitter Setup screen it does not see any of my stick movements.

After trying multiple receivers, multiple cables and different binding scenarios it hit me that I should just try selecting "Futaba S.Bus" on the receiver setup screen...Bingo! Now the Brain software is seeing my stick inputs...

Not sure if this is a bug in the software or if it actually expects something other than S.Bus when using a FrSky receiver but hopefully this post will save some head scratching for anyone else experiencing the same thing.

If anyone has a better work around I'm all ears!

Cheers!
cosmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was using the Futaba Sbus option with no problems for quite some time. The Frsky setup diagram is how you need to do it if you want to use the telemetry options which may or may not be important to someone.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromer View Post
I was using the Futaba Sbus option with no problems for quite some time. The Frsky setup diagram is how you need to do it if you want to use the telemetry options which may or may not be important to someone.
I'm very new to this, but if I understand correctly I won't be able to get mah consumption and rpm passed on to my receiver unless I use the Brain2 in FrSky mode?

In that case, with all the latest software/firmware has anyone got the FrSky mode to work?

Is it possible that FrSky won't work at all without the FrSky integration cable? I assumed that special cable was only for telemetry and that control would be handled through S.Bus. Obviously I don't have that cable yet to try!

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmith View Post
I'm very new to this, but if I understand correctly I won't be able to get mah consumption and rpm passed on to my receiver unless I use the Brain2 in FrSky mode?

In that case, with all the latest software/firmware has anyone got the FrSky mode to work?

Is it possible that FrSky won't work at all without the FrSky integration cable? I assumed that special cable was only for telemetry and that control would be handled through S.Bus. Obviously I don't have that cable yet to try!

Thanks!
In most of my helicopters I use a X4R SB and a current sensor in SBUS mode with the Brain.

In one heli I use a X4R SB with the MSH telemetry cable and a Brain2 in FrSky mode to read the telemetry data from a Hobbywing 130.
Hydros27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydros27 View Post
In one heli I use a X4R SB with the MSH telemetry cable and a Brain2 in FrSky mode to read the telemetry data from a Hobbywing 130.
I think this is the setup I'll be trying.

You're still using the SBUS from the X4R to Ch3 on the Brain? Did you happen to notice if the controls still worked if that special MSH telemetry cable was unplugged?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The SBUS goes through the MSH cable into the SAT1 port. The Smart Port goes to channel 3. I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure it won't work with the MSH cable unplugged.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydros27 View Post
The SBUS goes through the MSH cable into the SAT1 port. The Smart Port goes to channel 3. I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure it won't work with the MSH cable unplugged.
Okay, that makes good sense. Obviously it is expecting control signal through SAT1 not CH3. Cable is on the way!
Old 02-04-2018, 06:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need the cable to make FrSky mode work.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got it. Thanks a lot!

The wizard makes it pretty idiot proof, but for whatever reason when I looked at the wiring diagram I kept seeing SBUS going to channel 3...now I see that it is actually S.Port.

Do any of you use a Hobbywing ESC by any chance? I'm hoping to get mah consumption and rpm without any extra sensors. Starting using mah consumption in my planes this summer, best thing I've ever done for my flight time and lipo health!
Old 02-04-2018, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have the Sab 60A on my Fireball which is really a Hobbywing 60A V4 and everything works well however the 60A does not offer mah consumption.
I also have a Gaui X3 with a Castle 50 Edge Lite on my Frsky radio and all the telemetry is working on that also. That ESC does have current consumption and it is working but it appears to be way off calibration at the moment. I have not had good enough weather to fly it to try and dial it in yet but at least it is working.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromer View Post
I have the Sab 60A on my Fireball which is really a Hobbywing 60A V4 and everything works well however the 60A does not offer mah consumption.
I also have a Gaui X3 with a Castle 50 Edge Lite on my Frsky radio and all the telemetry is working on that also. That ESC does have current consumption and it is working but it appears to be way off calibration at the moment. I have not had good enough weather to fly it to try and dial it in yet but at least it is working.

I am using the Hobbywing 130 with FrSky and Brain2. The RB1C, which is the consumed MAH calculated by the Brain, is spot on. Voltage and temperature telemetry is accurate also. The current reads extremely high as does the consumed MAH calculated by the radio. I have just been ignoring the Taranis current readings and using the Brain RB1C. I don't know why there is such a difference. Anybody have any thoughts?

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=797745
Old 05-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does anyone have an eepe file they would be willing to share. I have a Sab Fireball that I've been trying to set up. I get it to hoover but my settings are a little wacky. Would anyone be willing to look at my setup to see what I'm doing wrong. Currently using Jumper T16 radio.

Thanks,
Tomas
tavila71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You can look at oscarliang.com for suggestions on how to get inverted S.Bus signal out of certain FRSky receivers. This will make SBus work from FrSky and allow telemetry as well.

If you're really curious and decent at soldering small things, you can convert an X4R-SB to F.Port and use a single wire. However you need to be on the not latest FrShlky ACCST protocol.
Ivan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in