Fireball very tail heavy - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Goblin 280

Goblin 280 SAB Heli Division - Goblin 280 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fireball very tail heavy

Had my Fireball flying pretty good although it was always pretty tail heavy. I just set it up with new iX12 (from gen 1 DX8) and now heli flies like crap. Not sure what I’m missing but hover is very unstable as it lists heavily to the back right. I should add that last time it flew was when my DX8 wigged out and heli crashed, hence replacement radio. I believe everything is repaired and like new but I’m just at a loss. Any help is appreciated.

iX12, AR7210BX, BK servos, Pulse 1050 pack 75C, everything stock.
Gobby 500 Sport USA Ed. #55, Gobby 500, Goblin Fireball w BK servos, Oxy 3 Tareq edition 6S, Fireball on iX12
RMJ22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2018, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check for vibrations, if it crashed then something might be bent that you missed, or maybe a bad bearing. If your FBL has a vibration logging capability check the log. The main shaft and feathering shaft are the two most obvious items that may have got bent in a crash and a small bend is easy to miss. Also check for damaged servos, check them over their full travel range with some load applied.

If it looks perfect mechanically check the FBL setup again.

The tail heaviness seems to be a design fault with the Fireball especially when using the smaller battery. It's unlikely to be the cause of your problem here because presumably it was always tail heavy even before the crash/new Tx and it flew ok then. Tail heavy wouldn't explain it being 'unstable' anyway. Having said that you should stick some weight in the nose to balance the heli. It wont fix the problem you have but it will make the heli fly better once you get to the cause of the specific issue at hand.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Someone posted a pic here a while back they successfully mounted the esc up front on top like a mini comet. Iím surprised that more people arenít doing it. Basically just fits there without much headaches. That should make the weight problem go from itís definately tail heavy to close enough.
jsbach#1 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2018, 02:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doing my research and think I came across the new location for the esc thread. https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=794586
Almondsaz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I havenít looked at it much until today. Still need to replace head shaft. However, I test flew my Oxy 3 for first time with the new radio today and itís doing the same thing as my Fireball. . .tilting hard right and back upon spool up - so bad I canít get it in the air. Same AR7210BX set-up. Iím thinking something is set up wrong because the Oxy3 has always flown perfect.
Gobby 500 Sport USA Ed. #55, Gobby 500, Goblin Fireball w BK servos, Oxy 3 Tareq edition 6S, Fireball on iX12
RMJ22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 05:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Running 1250mah packs in both my Fireballs and both fly smooth.. Both running Neoís.. No tail issues and both feel well balanced in flight

how to upload an image to the internet
Vcontrol/Neo
Locktite is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

How are you liking those switch blades? I picked up a set but weather has me grounded.
blade 230 S, DX7 GEN 2
junior10 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ22 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I havenít looked at it much until today. Still need to replace head shaft. However, I test flew my Oxy 3 for first time with the new radio today and itís doing the same thing as my Fireball. . .tilting hard right and back upon spool up - so bad I canít get it in the air. Same AR7210BX set-up. Iím thinking something is set up wrong because the Oxy3 has always flown perfect.
It sounds like you may have a swash configuration or cyclic mix issue in the Tx setup. Iíd go through the Tx configuration from scratch to find the issue.

So many heli's, so little time.
Crashalotjoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior10 View Post
How are you liking those switch blades? I picked up a set but weather has me grounded.
Switch, RT, SAB Blades all fly great.. You canít go wrong with either.. I do prefer the RT tail blades over the plastic..
Vcontrol/Neo
Locktite is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.