Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2018, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just received my brand new trex 500 tail boom case. New gears as well. Only thing not new are the two bearing that the long umbrella gear sits in. One bearing is kind of scratchy, but the two gears are rubbing hard for about 1/4 turn every rotation. This only happens when I put the case together. When the two halves are apart, everything is smooth. Ive been looking and looking for anything to figure out what is going on. I wouldnt be comfortable to put this in the way its turning. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180227-193047_1519781462041.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	738695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180227-193157_1519781535877.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	738697  

Last edited by laflyer90; 02-27-2018 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: More
laflyer90 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by laflyer90 View Post
I just received my brand new trex 500 tail boom case. New gears as well. Only thing not new are the two bearing that the long umbrella gear sits in. One bearing is kind of scratchy, but the two gears are rubbing hard for about 1/4 turn every rotation. This only happens when I put the case together. When the two halves are apart, everything is smooth. Ive been looking and looking for anything to figure out what is going on. I wouldnt be comfortable to put this in the way its turning. Any suggestions?
Maybe switch those two bearings around? front on in rear the rear in front it could help maybe but sounds like its time to get two new bearings. honestly don't think i would had replaced any of that w/o replacing the bearings. but i hate taking stuff apart.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 05:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you sure the bearings are fully seated on the gear? That would be the first area I would check. I don't have a 500, but the bearings on the 450L were pretty tight on the gear.

The second would be to look if you have some flash or malformed case. Any plastic that may be causing a mis-alignment of the gears?

Those are my guesses.
Oxy 2, Gaui X3 #1, Protos 380, Gaui X5, Synergy 766 Gasser, Assault 700
Oxy 2/X3/Protos 380/X5/766 Gas/Assault700 Consecutive Successful Flights (Current) = 30/5/56/141/6/70
Consecutive Successful Flights (Max) = 141
macdad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 05:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

So it's smooth in one half...what if you lay all the bearings in the other half? Like Macdad said, maybe there's a bit of plastic in the bearing track that is skewing the bearing?
Old 02-28-2018, 06:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tried all of that. I ordered new bearings from amain...so now I get to wait another week or two for parts to come in, which gives me a week or two to freak out about this not working.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure the umbrella gear is fully inserted. Push it in hard!! If itís out even a little it will do this.

It could also just be the gears. Align TT gears suck.
K2Freak likes this.
CrashNburn420 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had this same exact issue with my 700x! How is the gear mesh? Really tight? I ended up buying different size shims to set my gear mesh as the shim that came in the kit made the gear mesh super tight! I found my shims at Amain in the car section. I still have a slight rough spot like you describe but I have around 30 pretty hard flights and not a single problem. If I was you, I would fly it and watch for vibrations and abnormal gear wear.
ssschmidt4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm going to go ahead and wait for these bearings to come in. Install all brand new parts. If I can't get it to be perfectly smooth then I'll just put it all back together and do just that...look for vibrations while hoping all is smooth.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

More than likely has nothing to do with the bearings and I would suspect it is one of the gears is out of round/tolerance.

If its not that bad just run it and the gears will "run in" and smooth out. These are molded plastic pieces with not great tolerances.
K2Freak likes this.
fastang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The injection molded Align bevel gears are commonly out of round. The solution is to turn one of the gears until the high and low spots match up on both gears. Somtimes you luck out but most of them will have this to some degree.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
The injection molded Align bevel gears are commonly out of round. The solution is to turn one of the gears until the high and low spots match up on both gears. Somtimes you luck out but most of them will have this to some degree.

+1

Its funny, I got laughed at for suggesting this exact solution in a different thread.
Thestructured likes this.
fastang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea I'm not thinking it's the bearings either. I feel as if the new tail boom case is off as well. Where the cutouts are for the bearings to sit.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Injection molding isn't perfect by far.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
Injection molding isn't perfect by far.
It can be much better though many other helis have injection moulded gears with little and often no visible wobble while the Align ones typically wobble like a top. It's very irritating because I know they can do better than this.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

one way to get to mesh better is to use some good rubbing compound for automotive paint, put some on the gears, NOT a lot, turn by hand , this will set the gears into each other, use fine stuff. Then disassemble any clean thoroughly with soap and water use compressed air to blow out dry and make sure to oil up everything good. You should not use too much and be sure to turn by hand only, do not want to get that stuff in your bearings.. This method has worked good for me in R/C cars too back in the day of all plastic gearing. Don't know why they just don't use machined Delrin
motoxxxman likes this.
Ken487 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 11:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken487 View Post
one way to get to mesh better is to use some good rubbing compound for automotive paint, put some on the gears, NOT a lot, turn by hand , this will set the gears into each other, use fine stuff. Then disassemble any clean thoroughly with soap and water use compressed air to blow out dry and make sure to oil up everything good. You should not use too much and be sure to turn by hand only, do not want to get that stuff in your bearings.. This method has worked good for me in R/C cars too back in the day of all plastic gearing. Don't know why they just don't use machined Delrin
.... 12 years in this hobby and never once have I heard or thought about doing this and its brilliant. I am a detail nut when it comes to my cars so Ive got plenty of compound and polish to try out AND of course a brand new set of 550x red gears that are super rough to try it out on. Thank you for the great idea
heliadict1212 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 11:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliadict1212 View Post
.... 12 years in this hobby and never once have I heard or thought about doing this and its brilliant. I am a detail nut when it comes to my cars so Ive got plenty of compound and polish to try out AND of course a brand new set of 550x red gears that are super rough to try it out on. Thank you for the great idea
x2
Old 03-01-2018, 02:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken487 View Post
oDon't know why they just don't use machined Delrin
Because that would be more expensive.

STO used to make aluminum TT gears for the Trex 600 but they stopped making them because nobody bought them.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Yup, I had the same issue on my 450L, and the tail of the Blade 130X

MB
Old 03-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

When turning the gears by hand when using the rubbing compound...hard turning? Soft easy turning? Slow or fast? This idea seems to be plausible and I wouldn't mind trying it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.