Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > V977/K110/K120

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By e92.M3
  • 1 Post By e92.M3
  • 2 Post By Mikej

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3D Printed micros with XK helis as donors

3D Printed Micros -clicky-

This is maybe old news to some, but i just found about it. How awesome to know that some dudes are really going unto the deep end for this kind of stuff.

The dude's blog: Blog

And so I thought I was doing a unique job of testing a Spin motor on a frankenbuild K110. (Will post about it soon).

I hope these are are tough for 3D flying specially the tail. Good stuff indeed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	740355  
mearlin and t_austin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm building mine now - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...53-RX120-build
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It looks awesome! Thd disc loading is the question.... I'll keep an eye on these threads.

CrashyCrashy
CrashyCrashy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashyCrashy View Post
It looks awesome! Thd disc loading is the question.... I'll keep an eye on these threads.

CrashyCrashy
Well, if i were Mikej i'd find a Spin motor and stick it there to spin the mains up to 6.5K. The Spin motor that i have been using on a frankenbuild made that little bugger too crazy to fly inside my garage. Mind you I do fly an Oxy2 inside that garage doing some mild 3D. But I won't even try that one K110 with the Spin motor at full bore; in a blink of an eye it's up the ceiling.

Last edited by e92.M3; 03-17-2018 at 04:44 PM..
e92.M3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
You should do the build thread here, Mike, and not in RCG. RCG's got enough planker flyers and traxxas fanbois to keep it alive unlike here where ridiculous threads and stoopid damn debates just keep on popping up.

But joking aside, that's one of helluva micro airframe, Mike. When i first saw the first frames being made last year, i thought the pictures were just being taken so well to make them look good. But seeing them in the hands of regular users made me .

Maidened it already? Weight compared to stock K110?

Give us more feedbacks, buddy. How much.? Is it tough enough to do 3D? How's the tail robustness? Etc

Please?
CrashyCrashy likes this.

Last edited by e92.M3; 03-17-2018 at 04:47 PM..
e92.M3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had a very productive afternoon - got everything assembled, really enjoyed the build.

But then it got frustrating - the ESC for the tail motor isn't arming reliably. It works about 40% of the time, but not everytime. I've stripped it back a bit and it definitely seems to be the ESC - motor works perfectly every time using another ESC, checked for bad connections etc. but all fingers point at the ESC. I've got another ESC coming so it's all on hold for a while

I'll do a mini-build thread when I get it finished...
CrashyCrashy and e92.M3 like this.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92.M3 View Post
Well, if i were Mikej i'd find a Spin motor and stick it there to spin the mains up to 6.5K. The Spin motor that i have been using on a frankenbuild made that little bugger too crazy to fly inside my garage. Mind you I do fly an Oxy2 inside that garage doing some mild 3D. But I won't even try that one K110 with the Spin motor at full bore; in a blink of an eye it's up the ceiling.
Stock tail?

Quote:
I've had a very productive afternoon - got everything assembled, really enjoyed the build.

But then it got frustrating - the ESC for the tail motor isn't arming reliably. It works about 40% of the time, but not everytime. I've stripped it back a bit and it definitely seems to be the ESC - motor works perfectly every time using another ESC, checked for bad connections etc. but all fingers point at the ESC. I've got another ESC coming so it's all on hold for a while

I look forward to it! I don't post of RCG. The 100 page threads drive me crazy!

CrashyCrashy
CrashyCrashy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

You were talking about this esc: ESC -clicky- for tail right?

You think the mcpx's XP3A upgrade esc: XP3a -clicky- will work for this purpose. I think i saw another dude the other year putting in an esc similar to the XP3A with success. I just can't find the link but definitely it's in RCG.

I'm been looking for my xp3a's and mcpx bl tail motors to upgrade my frankenbuild K110, i just don't know where. Got me interested cause now i see mere mortals like me know where to find the proper pwm signals. And not hacky russian stuff.

Please, start the thread specially the pwm soldering notes if any. I might be able to find mine.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Stock tail?
CrashyCrashy
With the SUT motor, better tail blades (just can't remember which ones), and a longer solid tail boom that i cut from a bigger piece. But despite of those mods the tail still blows out at full bore and sustained full pitch. That's why i'm looking to do double brushless. I just can't find my old stuff.

Quote:
I look forward to it! I don't post of RCG. The 100 page threads drive me crazy!

CrashyCrashy
Me too.

Thing is their stuff in there is pretty awesome. So many bright ideas and also old school flyboi stuff (unlike here ) It's just the way the whole forum was formatted that gives me headache. It's like free for all.

But i generally like the people in there. Pretty hardcore with the real hobby stuff.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You were talking about this esc: ESC -clicky- for tail right
Yeah, that's the one that I have been using - it doesn't seem to be doing what I need reliably.

Quote:
You think the mcpx's XP3A upgrade esc: XP3a -clicky- will work for this purpose. I think i saw another dude the other year putting in an esc similar to the XP3A with success. I just can't find the link but definitely it's in RCG
Yeah - that is what Remlen is using - I have one on the slow boat

Quote:
I'm been looking for my xp3a's and mcpx bl tail motors to upgrade my frankenbuild K110, i just don't know where. Got me interested cause now i see mere mortals like me know where to find the proper pwm signals. And not hacky russian stuff.

Please, start the thread specially the pwm soldering notes if any. I might be able to find mine.
I'd be interested to see this if you dig it out.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'd be interested to see this if you dig it out.
Found them! But i think i have a better second pair than these.
On first look that motor mount is a good fit with the hallow k110 tail boom. Will see in a month or two since i wont be wrenching for awhile coz of the great weather we've been having lately (finally the bigger helis are coming out at full capacity).

Any update on your build?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6454.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	741654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6455.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	741655  
Old 04-01-2018, 03:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Any update on your build?
Yeah, it's all running great.

I had a little bit of messing about to get the tail ESC working properly - I was using an ESC from BG that claims to accept PWM, but it was not reliable. So I changed to the ESC that Remlen uses and bingo, perfect tail hold

I'm still finessing a couple of other bits - my dampers are shot leading to some cyclic wag - replacements on order and want to tweak a few other bits and pieces.

But the bottom line - working well
Old 04-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Mike.

I checked out your blog after posting my question above. It really seems like you were having some fun with it. But those tail fins are quite familiar to me. It seems i have something very similar somewhere.

Anyways, how do you compare flight characteristics to the stock? Better tail hold on 3D? How's piro centering?
Old 04-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flight characteristics are very similar (not surprisingly), my 3D skills aren't great, but for everything that I can throw at it (flips, loops, rolls, inverted etc. it has held fine.

It's a personal thing, but I've never liked the look of motors hung out on the end of the boom, and imho Remlen's RX120 looks more "professional" than the standard XK K110 (quite how a toy heli looks "professional" I'm not quite sure - perhaps just a little less toy-like).

This was the first XK K110 that I did the piro centring on - I'm not a big piro-er, so hadn't really noticed anything either re the std XK K110 piro behaviour. It's now OK - not v-bar-type flat, but OK
Old 04-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Mike

I hope i see more flight reports (if not videos) on how this airframe upgrade behaves. It requires a relatively substantial amount of effort to do the upgrade coming from this side of the pond.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.