Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 250 CFX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 250 Loses Main Rotor Power Within 20-30 Seconds

I have about an hour on my 250. 'About 6 months old. Only bought it to see what SAFE mode did. I usually fly 450 and 600 and Blade 180. I pulled it out the other day just to give it some exercise. I took off in Idle Up then the power immediately started cutting back, landed quickly. Engine stopped but all else worked fine. Unplugged then repeated episode. I noticed red LED on ESC was blinking about every second. I called Horizon. They said my ESC was dead. 'Ordered two new ones to add one to my spare parts box. Previously I did not have an extra one.

The new ESC was put in and the heli did the same thing. 'Checked with 3 other batteries including a 3000 mA 3cell battery. Checked voltage at battery during a wind up held on the ground, all cells at around 4.1V. I put the original ESC back and it acted the same again.

I replaced the motor (yes I had a spare) and the thing acted the act same way.

No motor is warm at all, the ESC is cold as are all the servos. What next?

???

aehaas
aehaas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2018, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

HH might have missed the diagnosis with the red LED blinking on the ESC. This indicates that the low voltage cutoff was activated for some reason. Not necessarily that the ESC is bad.

Take a look at your connectors and see if they might be causing the problem. Even though the problem was still there after changing the ESC, there is still another connector which could be the point of a voltage loss..... enough to kick in the LVC. Good Luck, keep us posted!
Bill_Van is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I hooked up the ESC directly to a 40 amp variable power supply at 11.1V. 'Same behavior. I had fully charged the transmitter. I also created a new model to see if that had anything to do with it. NO change. I wonder if the receiver can be the problem but I do not have a spare. In fact I do not see one as a spare part for sale on the parts diagram.

aehaas
Old 04-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update: I had sent the heli to Horizon as I ran out of ideas. Here is what I just got back from them:

Ali,

Here are the notes direct from the technician whom oversaw your repair request.

"I have test flown the helicopter 4 times and tried idle up several times
and did not have any issues with the helicopter. I tried with 2 DX9
transmitters and same results. I flew all the way through 4 battery
cycles. I tested the 2 ESC's that was sent in also did not shut down on
idle up nor regular mode. Possibly check transmitter settings, or the
batteries you have. I am sendiing a free battery and i did not charge
for the labor or shipping and the free tail rotor as yours was cracked. "

I'm dumbfounded. As for the service - well I certainly cannot complain - same as usual in my experience from Horizon. I still do not understand what is going on here.

aehaas
Old 04-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

All I can add is that you guys are extremely lucky on the other side of the pond. The customer service you get is outstanding.

I invested heavily in Blade when I first got into this hobby just over a year ago, based heavily on the reputation they had for great customer care. Just a couple months later they shut up shop in the UK since then the only help/reply I've had from them is to contact my local dealer.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

'Figured it out. They sent back the heli and I flew it with the new battery they sent me. It worked fine! I reinvestigated all my Venom batteries. I had two 1,300 and another something over 3 amps. Though they were all fully charged they went dead after 15 seconds or so of flight. I performed 3 charge - discharge cycles and they only took about 30 to 50 mA when charging from a low of about 3.4 volts per cell to 4.2. They kind of act and charge normally, even slowly but only take a few mA of charge. They are all DEAD. I bought these about a year ago, most likely from a reputable place as Tower Hobbies or the like. Sorry, I never buy from eBay. When using my power supply I must have had a loose connection. What luck!

While the motor was running I had a lipo volt meter on the balancing line of the batteries and the cells were all over 4 volts. They had good voltage but put out no current - do not understand this.

aehaas
Old 04-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
They had good voltage but put out no current - do not understand this.......
In simple terms, a packs ability to deliver current is heavily dependant on its capacity(mah) rather than its current state of charge(voltage). As packs deteriorate they loose capacity. So a pack that's at the end of its life may still hold a charge but as there is no capacity that charge will be lost as soon as a load is placed on it.

All lipo's have a finite number of cycles. This cycle life depends greatly on how the pack is used. Treated very poorly you could easily get less than 50 cycles, treated well you can get many hundreds.

Continually running a pack into LVC will reduce cycle life, as will over charging. The worst thing you can do is store a pack fully charged for any length of time.

When not in use packs need to be kept at storage charge - approx 3.8 volts per cell.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3.8v Storage

Interestingly, Blade manual states to store batteries fully charged. I do not agree with this either.
The 3.8v storage charge is the RIGHT way to store your batteries if you're not going to fly soon. Instead, charge the day before you plan to fly.

If you're not going to fly in a few days then run the batteries down near 3.8v. Or use the charger to safely discharge them per manual.

I am so happy yall figured it out! What great service from Horizon. That would have stumped me too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.