Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OXY HELI > Oxy2

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default how to change pinion

heat? with soldering iron?
i think i’m a little low on HS. i need to change pinion to
14T. using 250mx motor. currently @ 3800/4000/4200 on 3s.
i think im maxed out with my current setup.
with this formula 3.7*#cell*kv*pinion/110.
i want to bump it to 4200/4400/4500.
thanks.
prophead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup..works surprisingly well.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2018, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

cool.
thanks.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophead View Post
cool.
thanks.
No heat...
prophead and Reddog15 like this.
Blade mCPX BL, nano CP S
tporter416 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tporter416 View Post
No heat...
haha.
got it.
not cool, heat it.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, heat and a flathead screwdriver. I don't have a link handy but there are some good YouTube videos showing the technique.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2018, 03:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had no problem removing the pinion. 2 flights was all it took . Just don't sand the shaft when installing the pinion

But seriously, good to know
mr. mark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tuning question:

I just upgraded from 1611 to 1911 motor. I think I had the default setup (11T pinion).

For the 1911, I got the 15t/16t pinion. I'm running 3S. I glued 15t pinion and I believe with throttle maxed out my max RPM is about 4850.

For the 1611, I was only running 80% throttle.

If I want a bit higher headspeed, and a bit less throttle usage, would it be better to go with 16t pinion? Does running at 100% power vs 80 - 90% cause any issues, is one better then the other?

Thanks,

Chris
caddyman67 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The general wisdom is that brushless motors and ESCs work most efficiently in the 80% - 95% throttle range. I have 15T pinions on both of my OXY2s and this gives me (governed) HS of 4400 / 4500 / 4600m - I'm really happy with this (sports / light 3D)

If you have already glued the 15T on then you might as well try it, see what HS you get (or more importantly if you are happy with them).

If not enough HS the fit the 16T instead.
mr. mark likes this.
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyman67 View Post
For the 1911, I got the 15t/16t pinion. I'm running 3S. I glued 15t pinion and I believe with throttle maxed out my max RPM is about 4850.

If I want a bit higher headspeed, and a bit less throttle usage, would it be better to go with 16t pinion?
Is this a 190? 4850 looks about right - you could definitely govern around 4800 with a little headroom. That is enough to do anything you want with the O2 unless you're really into smack or speed. The 16t would allow you to govern over 5000.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Tuning question:

Chris
You might want to check your throttle end points. With the 1911 and 15T (and a fresh battery), I am clocking 5280 RPM as the max throttle. This is on the Sport. I am flying max 4800 governed with this setup.
tryzub is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks all for the replies !

I only have the headspeed calculator app. I've been flying it, definitely flys nice with more power for sure. I'm really into speed and getting better at smacking around so I'll probably stick with 15T for awhile and see if I can get a better way to calculate headspeed.

I haven't used the governed ability since I only had a DX6i. I got a DX9 new but had to send back to Horizon immediately for repair. Once I get that back, I'll have more options.

Thanks again !

Chris
Old 06-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Chris,

I have a 1911 motor and I'm about to buy a 1611 to save weight. (I'm building a 215 sport as light as possible). If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to move to a 1911 motor?

Greg

Last edited by Grewrob; 06-01-2018 at 02:27 PM..
Grewrob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks all for the replies !

I haven't used the governed ability since I only had a DX6i.

Chris
If your Tx has a throttle channel and you have an ESC or FBL governor then you can govern.
tryzub is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewrob View Post
Hi Chris,

I have a 1911 motor and I'm about to buy a 1611 to save weight. (I'm building a 215 sport as light as possible). If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to move to a 1911 motor?

Greg

Greg - what's going on, no worries. I guess I didn't really realize how much weight matters. I do notice the extra weight of the 1911. However, I think the Tato 1050 batteries make up for that based on what the Turnigy 1000Mah and Turnigy Graphene 1000Mah batteries weigh (that I've been using).

Honestly, I can't say that I'm completely blown away by the difference between 1911 and 1611...however, for my flying style (basically beat the hell out of it ) , then I really like the 1911's power better.

If someone asked me if I would spend the 50$ again on the 1911, I probably would. I haven't had the opportunity to really fly that much the past few weeks with the 1911 but definitely feels stronger for sure.

I'm not sure how all the above changes with 4s and the 1911 but I can't speak to that.

In addition, if I was to recommend, I'd say keep the 1911 as I think it more than makes up for the weight difference in power.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 06-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryzub View Post
If your Tx has a throttle channel and you have an ESC or FBL governor then you can govern.

I see what you mean. I think I was just governing by adjusting the throttle curve (flat) in stunt mode between 65% and 100%. When I had the 1611 with 11T, I think I had it set at 85%, now with 1911, I'm around 97.5% or something like that. I will look into further.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I see what you mean. I think I was just governing by adjusting the throttle curve (flat) in stunt mode between 65% and 100%. When I had the 1611 with 11T, I think I had it set at 85%, now with 1911, I'm around 97.5% or something like that. I will look into further.

Thanks,
Chris
fly the oxy 2 with 1911 motor with a fibreglass canopy and with no canopy. This will give you a good idea how much lighter it will feel with 1611 motor. If it makes a noticable difference you will prefer the 1611 motor. If it does not then stick with 1911 motor.

Im use to lighter set up heli in general so when I tried the 1911 motor the heli just felt too heavy for me. It dropped too much for my liking and it would take me a while to get use to it. When a heli flighs light you do not have to bring the collective stick back to centre as quickly as you do with a heavy set up. This throws out your timing and takes a while to get use to. Timing becomes more critical with 3d flight otherwise you start driving the heli into the ground fast.

I noticed the difference in power but not significant. I went back to 1611 motor for that reason.
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I find that with lighter set up and less powerful motor....

1. the batteries don't work as hard

2. The heli sits allot nicer and does not speed up on you as fast as a heavier set up.in hurricanes and funnels or knife edge maneuvers

The 1611 motor is no slouch it can do pretty much do anything but may stuggle a bit if you use too much collective and jam the stick in the corners of your transmitter.

The 1911 motor on the other had will power through anything you throw at it. So no need to worry about collective management or how much pitch you have set up in the main blades.

This is probably the best way I could describe it having flown both motors back to back.
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl5973 View Post
fly the oxy 2 with 1911 motor with a fibreglass canopy and with no canopy. This will give you a good idea how much lighter it will feel with 1611 motor. If it makes a noticable difference you will prefer the 1611 motor. If it does not then stick with 1911 motor.

Im use to lighter set up heli in general so when I tried the 1911 motor the heli just felt too heavy for me. It dropped too much for my liking and it would take me a while to get use to it. When a heli flighs light you do not have to bring the collective stick back to centre as quickly as you do with a heavy set up. This throws out your timing and takes a while to get use to. Timing becomes more critical with 3d flight otherwise you start driving the heli into the ground fast.

I noticed the difference in power but not significant. I went back to 1611 motor for that reason.

I tend to agree. I definitely noticed me having to be quicker on collective and had it drop into the ground a few times on me which I certainly wasn't used to. Everything I do I tend to like to max out to the fullest and that's why I got the 1911. I like to do full pitch fast forward flight and snap it back and also I could do way more more predictable in a large field (I'm not an expert whatsoever), but with the 1911, I was more confident in my erratic pitch changes and whatever else. After typing this, I think, for me, obviously my opinion is that the 1611 is better for small space (like my yard) and 1911 where you can just go balls to the wall in an open field.

Great discussion for sure.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl5973 View Post
I find that with lighter set up and less powerful motor....

1. the batteries don't work as hard

2. The heli sits allot nicer and does not speed up on you as fast as a heavier set up.in hurricanes and funnels or knife edge maneuvers

The 1611 motor is no slouch it can do pretty much do anything but may stuggle a bit if you use too much collective and jam the stick in the corners of your transmitter.

The 1911 motor on the other had will power through anything you throw at it. So no need to worry about collective management or how much pitch you have set up in the main blades.

This is probably the best way I could describe it having flown both motors back to back.

This is a great explanation as well. I agree with both these posts 100%. Awesome. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in