Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > 3Digi FBL System

3Digi FBL System 3Digi Supoort

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Atomic Skull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2018, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Self-level assistance or 'rescue' style Auto Level alone

I am just setting up a couple of 3Digi units on 500/530 size machines. It doesn't worry me (I have set a 'Rescue' type auto-level on a temporary switch for myself, although, hopefully don't need it!), but my friend has used the Bavarian Demon style self level feature before, and would benefit from this. As far as I understand, the 3Digi style system gives the 'rescue' style function only. Am I correct in this thinking? A system of self level with stick override would be a boon for him, i.e. let go of sticks, heli self-levels. 3Digi does not seem to allow any cyclic control while Auto Level is activated. Many thanks for your insight.
sales@jetiaustralia.com
AndrewJHawes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJHawes View Post
I am just setting up a couple of 3Digi units on 500/530 size machines. It doesn't worry me (I have set a 'Rescue' type auto-level on a temporary switch for myself, although, hopefully don't need it!), but my friend has used the Bavarian Demon style self level feature before, and would benefit from this. As far as I understand, the 3Digi style system gives the 'rescue' style function only. Am I correct in this thinking? A system of self level with stick override would be a boon for him, i.e. let go of sticks, heli self-levels. 3Digi does not seem to allow any cyclic control while Auto Level is activated. Many thanks for your insight.
Andy,
I am unfamiliar with how the BD system works, it sounds like you are saying if you center the sticks rescue takes over.
The 3Digi system rescue is activated via one of two ways, a designated switch or being switched into a parameter set (Bank) that has the self level activated in it. Basically either way you have to use a switch, either momentary or otherwise. It can control either cyclic only, or cyclic and collective. And you are correct, the system takes over cyclic until deactivated.
Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Autolevel screen shot.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	743636  
Citizen - #202
Dowquest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2018, 02:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks Jerry,
Yes, that far I have got. Unfortunately, when Auto-Level is activated on one of the parameter banks, it is then not possible to override the cyclic.
In Bavarian Demon 'stabilisation' if one lets go of cyclic controls, heli will self-level, the speed/degree of which can be selected (% stabilisation), but it is still possible to then override with cyclic control - gives a sort of contra-rotating twin rotor stability (can't for the moment think of the proper term for that!). Goes one step beyond pure (docile) agility setting.
The 3Digi unit offers so many various premium options, it is just a pity that it doesn't offer this!
sales@jetiaustralia.com
Old 04-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
T gives a sort of contra-rotating twin rotor stability (can't for the moment think of the proper term for that!). Goes one step beyond pure (docile) agility setting.
The 3Digi unit offers so many various premium options, it is just a pity that it doesn't offer this!
Not all coaxials self level:

KiwiBlair likes this.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very nice set up Atomic Skull! Yes, Co-axial is the word. I have seen some very clever Kamovs and K-Maxs recently.
sales@jetiaustralia.com
Old 04-20-2018, 04:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Very nice set up Atomic Skull! Yes, Co-axial is the word. I have seen some very clever Kamovs and K-Maxs recently.
It's not mine but I am considering getting one. The 3DIGI is AFAIK the only FBL system out there that supports proper yaw to swashplate mixing. Normally you have to use a program mix on the radio for this which limits you to rate mode only. Basically you are mixing the rudder channel input into the collective channel where with the 3DIGI you can mix the yaw rate output from FBL rudder servo channel into the collective.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Andy,
I already thought about such a feature. But in my opinion it does not make much sense at the moment.
At first there is not much demand for it. There are only a very few people who would use it.
And at second you learn a completly wrong way of heli flying if you use it. If you are used to such a feature you will have many problems switching to "normal" heli flying.

But you can nearly the same function if you deactivate the AutoLevel pitch control.
Then your friend could fly his heli with "normal" control inputs and he would really learn heli flying. If he feels unsafe he can push the AutoLevel switch on his transmitter and the heli would just go back to horizontal position.

Dirk
www.3digi.de
DirkS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2018, 02:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkS View Post
Hi Andy,
I already thought about such a feature. But in my opinion it does not make much sense at the moment.
At first there is not much demand for it. There are only a very few people who would use it.
And at second you learn a completly wrong way of heli flying if you use it. If you are used to such a feature you will have many problems switching to "normal" heli flying.

But you can nearly the same function if you deactivate the AutoLevel pitch control.
Then your friend could fly his heli with "normal" control inputs and he would really learn heli flying. If he feels unsafe he can push the AutoLevel switch on his transmitter and the heli would just go back to horizontal position.
If I disable the collective pitch control and use rescue mode during a trim flight to keep the heli level in a hover what effect would it have on the trim flight?
Old 04-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting idea. I never tried that.
But I think the normal 3Digi hovering is so stable, that there wonīt be much difference between normal hovering and AutoLevel mode.

Normal hovering does also have the advantage, that you can position the heli so that the sideways drift is minimized before you start the trimming.
AutoLevel always positions the heli parallel to the horizon and so there might be slightly more sideways drift.

Dirk
www.3digi.de
Old 04-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Dirk,
Before I introduced my friend to the BD3SX, he was just about ready to give up helicopters. He is currently 78 and has a lot more confidence now (which was his main issue before - the lack of, and inability to advance). I have really toned-down the agility, and introduced some significant expo, and he is not unhappy with flying style now (3Digi).
I myself have been very pleasantly surprised with how well the unit works, but have only one little gripe, and this probably wouldn't effect others in the same way. That is, that having got used to radio integration, I have had to research where I can buy, and send off for the 4 pin XZ style connector to servo plug lead so that I can work the Jeti integration. I am still waiting for the XZ lead and will have to finish making the lead before I can get this working. Can you please recommend someone stock a version of this lead please, with other plug installed. Maybe I will just start stocking them myself!
sales@jetiaustralia.com
Old 04-24-2018, 01:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Andrew,
sorry but we donīt have a stock integration cable yet.

But itīs just a standard JST ZH 4-pole cable with a normal servo plug crimped or soldered to the other side.

Dirk
www.3digi.de
Old 04-24-2018, 03:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No problem, thanks Dirk, got it sorted out!
sales@jetiaustralia.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.