Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Velos Rotors > VelosUAV - UAV Helicopter

VelosUAV - UAV Helicopter VelosUAV Discussion

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Dual Rotor Brake Test

The building, installing and the testing of the single rotor brake was fun but I needed to see how fast the big rotor of the Velos UAV could be brought down from flying speed to a stand still.

I found out with the second rotor brake installation and test.
It takes about 2.45 seconds after dual rotor brake actuation.

I am super satisfied with that...but was very nervous throwing the rotor brake switch for the first dual brake test in the video.
My wife told me to take "lots of photos" before the running test , she was a little worried too.

Enjoy the short video, what you can't see in the video is me dancing happily after the quick successful stop.
I knew it would work really well...I was hoping anyway.

Velos UAV Dual Rotor Brake Test (1 min 22 sec)
jlureone likes this.
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2018, 11:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Single Servo Dual Rotor Brake

So the single servo single rotor brake concept was tested as was the dual servo and dual brake system... both performed very well and that leaves the concept of a single servo driving dual rotor brakes which is covered in this video along with a side by side comparison of all three systems.

The Velos UAV design made it easy to design build and test these brake systems.
There may be one more brake system concept to build and test and it may turn out to be the best yet.

This machine is just too much fun.
Enjoy!

Single Servo with Dual Rotor Brakes (2 min 59 sec)
Old 10-06-2018, 08:17 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Velos Rotor Brake Advances

Stay tuned...the design of the Velos rotor brake is coming to its 4th iteration.

With this version, the brake disks will be increased in diameter significantly.
The brake will be actuated directly from a single servo mounted from the inside of the fuselage side plate. It should provide a strong quick rotor stop during shut down.

I am expecting to see the same or better performance from this new version than what I saw from the dual brake/dual servo version.

The larger disk and the added leverage it provides in disk area and diameter should remove the need for the second servo with brake to achieve the super fast rotor stops.
This will also make the brake system simpler and lighter.

So why the need for a rotor brake?
Safety is a big factor but if you are out flying a job and need to get in that last bit of surveying or video shot for a client who wants it done now and you were surprised by a pop up rain shower...
...you hustle the Velos UAV back to base and in the process of landing, it starts to pour rain.

Your on the ground listening to the loud pop of rain drops hitting the rotor blades when you hit TH.

Then you wait for rotor spool down so you can get the Velos to a dry area.

How long does that take? I can tell you from experience, standing in the rain, it takes two hours.

With the rotor brake, the rotor has stopped turning seconds after landing. That makes a huge difference in the outcome.

There are many more advantages.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Still Testing Rotor Brake Ideas

I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, just been busy with full scale helicopter work and with many tests of different configurations of rotor brake for the Velos UAV.

I'll have more video latter but I'll leave you now with this.
I have a new admiration for having a rotor brake installed on my UAV.

Today during ground testing it suddenly became very windy and gusty.
I had very light winds when I started, the extreme gusty conditions were unexpected.
I was still under power so I had the choice of pulling pitch and fly away from the ground.
Instead, in between gusts, I quickly applied the rotor brake and stopped the rotor before the next gust hit the model.

In retrospect I can see the advantage of using a rotor brake in strong gusty winds. It can greatly reduce the probability of roll over after engaging throttle hold and the rotor is spooling down in that gusting wind.
kavic5150 likes this.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Best Performance Velos UAV Rotor Brake

OK...its been a long road of discovery with the Velos UAV rotor brake project.
I had good luck with the initial design with a stopping time below 3 seconds.
Thinking I could build a better "mouse trap" than my original, I designed a total of 5 different rotor brakes for the Velos. I spent all summer on this endeavor.
I am here to tell you "it ain't easy", I was just real lucky early on.
Every idea that would seem to be a logical improvement with brake performance didn't improve the systems performance at all and most performed poorly with long stopping times.

For entertainment value I was going to post the videos of all the failures, puffs of blue smoke on rotor brake actuation and rubber dust everywhere to mention just a couple memorable failures but decided to just showcase the best performing and consistent brake system.
And its an awesome rotor brake system as you can see in the video.
For safety, control and efficiency of operations a rotor brake is a necessary tool.

Improved Velos UAV Rotor Brake (1 min 56 sec)
Old 11-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Slow motion rotor brake video for your entertainment.

Just for fun and entertainment I created the rotor brake video in slow motion.
I love how the big Velos mimics full scale sounds so accurately when played back in slow motion. TURN UP THE SOUND!

All I have left on this project is to polish and paint the system components
The rotor brake performs perfectly...now it has to be pretty to match the rest of this beautiful flying machine.

Velos VRB in Slow Motion (1 min 30 sec)
kavic5150 and jlureone like this.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A Big Thank You to Aris at Velos Rotors

I would like to acknowledge and thank Aris, the creative, inventive mind behind the Velos 880 and now the Velos UAV and the driving force behind Velos Rotors.

It was because of an email conversation I had with him, and with his assistance, that the idea for the UAV rotor brake was born.
As they say, one idea leads to another and the UAV rotor brake is a good example of this.

With my proposed business model using the Velos UAV as a hovering platform to clean the exteriors of buildings and roofs, I needed to look closely at safety which is the reason I chose Velos in the first place.

Flying closely to buildings creates unique hazards, mitigating those hazards is the responsibility of the UAV operator.
Even with the work area closed off and using a spotter, you never know when some kid will come running around the corner out of nowhere to get a better look just as you hit throttle hold.
Or the dog who would like nothing more than to take a bite out of the interesting looking chew toy.
How about losing control because of an electronics issue and the UAV is heading for persons or property in a crash.
About the electronics for safety, I do have all the working systems servos (rotor brake servos and spray boom servo) controlled by a secondary RX, separate from the primary RX and the flight controls.
And yes, getting caught in the rain and needing to shut down quickly or shutting down in gusting winds.

In all of these situations removing energy from the rotor will always contribute to a better outcome.
Removing rotor energy in less than 2.5 seconds means to me that in the first second alone, significant energy is already gone.
Throttle hold alone will not bleed off rotor energy fast enough to prevent it from doing significant damage in an emergency situation.

So for my proposed work, the rotor brake gives me confidence I can shut the rotor down quickly in an emergency, that means a lot.

I believe having this ability will be seen by the public as a positive move toward their safety and will help change their attitudes about the use of these fantastic flying machines to do work.

It's one step at a time and one idea creating another.

So...Thanks Aris for having the imagination and the ability to make dreams a reality.

Attached are some photos of my finished dual rotor brake system, all polished up, painted and looking to go to work.
Hope you like them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9234.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	760259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9270.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	760260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9273.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	760261   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9275.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	760262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9282.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	760263  

Name:	IMG_9284.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	760264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9287.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	760265  
jlureone and Velos Rotors like this.

Last edited by A VIKING; 11-07-2018 at 07:52 PM..
A VIKING is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well done Alan!!!!
A VIKING and Velos Rotors like this.
mb-1953 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Cargo Hook

Decided to create a new cargo hook for the UAV.
It will allow me to carry sling loads and act as an attachment hard point for my spray boom and swing arm.

Working from what I did with the Velos 880, I stayed with a dual slot cargo hook block to allow me to control two loads if needed.

The Velos UAV cargo rails made it easy to create and mount the assembly.
The hook block is made from 1/8 inch aluminum angle and strap and the controlling servo mounts perfectly between the cargo rails which I found very convenient.

The cargo rails allowed the mounting of the cargo hook block directly under the CG of the UAV which is important.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rotor Brake Helifreak.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	763099  
Velos Rotors likes this.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Happy Holidays!

To all my friends Happy Holidays!
For all the UAV flyers, keep the shiny side up and to all the 3D flyers, just pick the side you want up.

Holiday Greeting (0 min 58 sec)
Velos Rotors likes this.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:46 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Happy Holidays 2.0

A little difficulty with my last holiday video so here is the reboot.

Seasons Greetings (0 min 58 sec)
Old 01-08-2019, 02:10 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=A VIKING;7585067]I did get a phone call from the FAA and they can see no reason for me not to proceed with my proposal of using my Velos UAV as a cleaning platform to clean the exteriors of commercial and residential buildings where the height of the building is challenging for other normal cleaning methods.

Re: Cleaning Buildings
Great minds think alike!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Cleaning-Drone
tony#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=tony#1;7677991]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
I did get a phone call from the FAA and they can see no reason for me not to proceed with my proposal of using my Velos UAV as a cleaning platform to clean the exteriors of commercial and residential buildings where the height of the building is challenging for other normal cleaning methods.

Re: Cleaning Buildings
Great minds think alike!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Cleaning-Drone
Thanks Tony for the link!

Yup...it just makes sense that one can use these machines for cleaning tasks that would otherwise be dangerous or difficult.

Everywhere I go I think to myself....Oh yeah...I can clean that one and that one...and the neighborhoods that have houses built with no or few trees...I can easily clean all of them and commercial store fronts would be super easy...and it would be fun.

All this is just getting started, it will progress rapidly with large companies getting on board building specific flying machines to do specific cleaning tasks.

One day it will be a normal to see an RC helicopter or drone doing some cleaning on a building.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:39 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=A VIKING;7678305]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony#1 View Post

Thanks Tony for the link!

Yup...it just makes sense that one can use these machines for cleaning tasks that would otherwise be dangerous or difficult.

Everywhere I go I think to myself....Oh yeah...I can clean that one and that one...and the neighborhoods that have houses built with no or few trees...I can easily clean all of them and commercial store fronts would be super easy...and it would be fun.

All this is just getting started, it will progress rapidly with large companies getting on board building specific flying machines to do specific cleaning tasks.

One day it will be a normal to see an RC helicopter or drone doing some cleaning on a building.
Hi A VIKING,
Re: Posting #32
I hesitated to place the link and appreciate your positive response.
Best wishes for the progress of your project and I trust that 2019 will be a great year both for you and for Velos,
Regards
Tony
tony#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Skookum Steel FBL Isolation Plate

In the interest of improving position hold on my Velos UAV I got some valuable help from Alvin and Art at Skookum.

Alvin helped me understand that my knowledge of the SK900 setup was flawed...just because you re-read something a dozen times doesn't mean you truly understand the concept.

Art and Alvin mentioned doing better with my vibration levels. I had one rogue peak at 1.5 on the Skookum vibe charts and a vibe score of point 4 (.4) so I couldn't imagine it getting any better.

I had few options as I could see it to reduce the vibe levels further so I turned my attention to the steel isolation plate Skookum includes with their FBLs.
I have never been interested in using the plate before because of two things...weight and the possibility that it may come loose in flight because of its weight loosening the double sided tape used to attach it.

Looking at the penalty of weight, the Velos UAV has a useful load of about 25 lbs. so the addition of the little steel plate has little impact on my load capabilities.

Looking at the possibility of the plate coming loose in flight I was concerned so I came up with a method of attaching the isolation plate that allowed it to do its work yet be secure on the airframe.

See the photo.
The entire FBL platform is supported on the airframe by soft rubber servo grommets. Finally found a use for all those that I have accumulated over the years.
In each corner of the steel SK isolation plate I drilled down leaving a depth of 3mm to allow the insertion of a rubber servo grommet.

The FBL carbon fiber plate was drilled to match the isolation plate and rubber servo grommets were inserted in those holes as well.

So the steel FBL isolation plate rests on two rubber grommets at each of the four corners and the stack up is held together by screws and lock nuts. It can't go anywhere...ever.

With the FBL plate now being supported on rubber grommets it was super easy to set level of the FBL to the head block. A little twist of the mounting screws provided the perfect adjustment.

So with all this done and on my first flight I was treated to a vibration score of point 1 (.1) from the Skookum 900 with all my vibration peaks well below .8 with most including the main and tail rotor coming in at point 1.
See the photo.

I was super happy with that and my position hold performance was very good as well.
You don't know how well these excursions will turn out but it's good to see success at the end of all the hard work.

Here is a snap shot of my vibration graph...lowest I have ever been able to achieve on any RC helicopter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Velos UAV with SK900.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	770905   Click image for larger version

Name:	SK900 Custom Velos UAV Isolation Mount.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	770907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Low Vibration Graph Velos UAV.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	770909  
kavic5150 and jlureone like this.

Last edited by A VIKING; 01-18-2019 at 01:11 AM..
Old 01-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I like the rotor brake...a lot.

So I really didn't know how much I would enjoy the rotor brake and just how much it would benefit me but now that I have been using it a while I have to say I can't live without it.
Aside from adding safety to the high energy rotor system I am finding out it is saving me time.

I haven't had it long but a quick check with a calculator using 45 seconds saved for each shut down, I have been given back 20 minutes of my life that I would have spent standing around waiting to stop the rotor by hand at a low enough RPM.
The time saved for each shut down can add up quickly.
At the end of the year I would have saved many hours with the rotor brake.
For a busy UAV working steady jobs the time saved with the rotor brake at the end of the year could easily reach 30 hours.
Do the math.
If you worked steady but not everyday you may be looking at 15 hours saved in a year.
It maybe just 45 seconds at each stop but it adds up and becomes something much bigger.

The multi-rotors drones with direct drive props can spool down quickly using their motors, plus their props are fixed pitch, small and much lighter than large high energy variable pitch helicopter rotor blades.

Helicopter UAVs and full scale helicopters can't do that, we have one way bearings so our rotors are not direct drive.
But we can do something our direct drive counterparts can't...we can auto-rotate.

So I am living in my perfect world, quick spool downs like the multirotor drones and the ability to auto-rotate in an emergency.

For those that say auto-rotation is not important, you'll have a different opinion with your first motor power failure and as they say, if it can happen, it will happen. If not caused electronically then by human error.

Unfortunately, I already own both tee shirts but had the ability to auto-rotate which saved everything.

Rotor brakes and the ability to auto-rotate...I like a lot.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rotor Brake b.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	771975  

Last edited by A VIKING; 01-22-2019 at 08:44 AM..
Old 01-31-2019, 08:25 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Motor Balancing

I have been on the subject of vibration and since the weather is unflyable I decided to tackle the small vibrations I did have on my SK vibration chart.

The only vibrations worth considering, and truthfully if I didn't have anything else to entertain myself with, I wouldn't even give it attention, is the vibration in the 12,000RPM range.

Checking that frequency against the RPMs of the dynamic components of my Velos UAV I see the offender is a motor. I have 295kv motors so it matches my vibration frequency or RPM.

I have had very good luck in the past balancing my 535kv motors using a good 5 minute epoxy for the balance weight.

Here is my process.
Disconnect the motor belt.
Run the motor for about 30 seconds to get a starting vibration reading. In this case I am using the vibration graph of the SK900.
Cut a small square of shipping tape and press it onto the side of the bell.
Anywhere will do, this is the beginning of finding the out of balance.
Run the motor again and check your balance chart.
Did it get worse or better?
If it got worse, your in the wrong place on the can, try another spot 180 degrees from that location.
If the vibration got better, keep adding tape to that location until the vibration gets as low as it can or as low as you want to go...this is time consuming.

Once you have identified the area of the bell that needs weight, remove the tape, don't forget to mark this location so you don't forget, and mix up a small amount of 5 minute epoxy.
Hold the motor sideways with the area of the motor to receive the epoxy pointing straight up. This will keep the epoxy in place and prevent it from running down the side of the can where you don't want it.
Take a tooth pick and swirl it around in the epoxy to get a good dab on the end. Use a round tooth pick that you have cut the pointy end from to make it flat.
The flat end will allow a good amount of epoxy to cling too for application on the motor bell.

Now take the drop of epoxy and dab it right on the side of the motor bell.
Clean any oil from the bell first so the epoxy has a clean surface to cling too.
The amount you dab on will be determined by the amount of tape you needed to balance the can dynamically.
I look at the tape and imagine that if I took the drops of epoxy I had just applied to the bell and smoothed it out, it would cover the same area on the bell at the same thickness as the tape. This will get you very close to the right amount without many tries.

DO NOT brush the epoxy on, if you guess wrong and need to remove some weight you will have a big mess.

If you apply the epoxy in drops as in the photo, you can simply flick of the epoxy drop with a box cutter before it cures or even your finger nail.

The longer you wait before removing the extra epoxy the harder it will be to remove it so don't let any epoxy sit overnight and try to remove it the next morning, it will be much more difficult.

I have had excellent results balancing motor bells this way but of course there are other methods as well.

I have never lost any epoxy from any of my motor bells including the fast turning 535kv motors.
That being said please wear safety glasses when finding the out of balance with tape on the bell...it may fly off during the run, I have had that happen only one time...but it can happen.

Check out my vibration charts in the attached photos. The motor vibration went from a little over .8 to just a little over .2. ...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Balance epoxy on the bell..jpg
Views:	319
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	773811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Balance material..jpg
Views:	300
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	773813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor balance before and after comparison..jpg
Views:	310
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	773815  
kavic5150 likes this.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:00 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great post Aviking I have just balanced a Align 850mx 490 kv motor with the zip tie method and that worked awesome. On my Spirit vibe chart I had a value of 72 and now its 3 which is awesome . Spirit recommends nothing over 50 I believe so with the value of 3 I wont go any further .On the other note I just left the zip tie on the bell with some ca glue I think it will work and not come off .I have put 6 flights and all is good .
A VIKING likes this.
Morrchew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2019, 03:15 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Morrchew and thanks for sharing your zip tie experience with motor balance.
I'll have to give it a try one day.
I know some have added weight to the inside of the motor bell for balance as they do at the factory but that sounds very complicated and super time consuming when zip ties or 5 minute epoxy can get it done.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:10 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flying Time!

Weather finally improved allowing for some flight time this past weekend.
My wife brought out the camera and took some beautiful shots. This one is a favorite of mine. It really captures the beauty of flight, hope you enjoy as much as I do.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Velos 1.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	774781  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in