Wiring in a power switch for the RX battery - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wiring in a power switch for the RX battery

I am putting together an Align 600E Pro DFC with Align DS610 swash servo's and a DS650 tail servo. I am using a Hobbico LiFe Source 2100 mAh RX battery. The battery has a main power lead with a Dean's plug with 14 ga wire, two servo connector leads with 22 ga. wire and a balance plug with 24 or 26 ga. wire (not sure because gauge not printed on insulation)

On some 4 channel planes I wired the switch through the balance plug on the battery because I wanted to be able to charge the RX battery through the switch. If I do the same for the heli, I am concerned that the 24 or 26 ga and the JST-XH balance plug will not be able to handle the current drawn by the servo's (and RX).

Per https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm 24 gauge is rated at 3.5A for "chassis wiring" and .577A for "power transmission." Not sure why the difference but being conservative and recognizing that I am powering the servo's with it, I am looking at the .577 A limit. For 26 gauge, it is of course worse with the numbers being 2.2A and .361A respectively. The JST-XH plug, I am told, is rated at 3A.

I am reluctant to wire it the same way through the balance plug because of these limits but am seeking advice.

The other option which I am leaning toward is wiring the switch to the servo connector leads which are 22 ga. wire but the rating on that size is 7A chassis and .92A power transmission. That would make it slightly more complicated to charge but that is acceptable. Should I be concerned with the current draw for the heli exceeding the limit for even the 22 ga. nd servo connector which I believe is rated at 5A?
Align 600E Pro DFC, Blade 230 S, Blade 200 SRX, Blade MCPx BL, Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)
jackcutrone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

switches fail and get faulty connections. best to plug in directly and eliminate as many failure points as possible.
I don't trust the small servo connectors as an each time connect so I run it off my deans. Made a deans to servo wires and done.

I have a switch on my Nitro but it is an old fromoco and closed is off open is on for the regulator. Old school.

That being said it can still fail, but it carries no load.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would use the deans or swap it out for some other appropriately sized connector.

As said i would stay away from connecting / disconnecting the normal servo plug.

The only place i use a switch is on a back up battery. Never the main rx pack / supply.

I always power the heli on with the secondary battery to make sure it works. This is with a kosmik.
cjm180 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.