Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OXY HELI > Oxy2

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Oxy 215 Sport build

I've done a build thread for all my other kits so why stop now?

This is my first Oxy. I wasn't planning on buying any more helis (this year anyway) but I thought I might to be too busy to get out to the field much this season so wanted a nicer small heli that I could fly in my backyard, something better than my Blade 230s and 180cfx. Well that's my weak excuse for impulsively buying yet another heli. At least it's a small, relatively inexpensive one this time.

Anyway, I have most of the parts here. Unfortunately thanks to Amain's use of Surepost (aka Slowpost), I won't have the kit, esc, and receiver until next Tuesday. So I guess this post is premature but I got a bunch of parts in today and am excited.

This will have to be a pretty quick build because I won't have much time to work on it between the time I get the kit and a fun fly on the weekend and then vacation the next day. But I will still try to take plenty of photos as I go.

Kit: Oxy 2 215 Sport
Blades: Zeal 215
Motor: Lynx EOX 1911
ESC: Hobbywing 25 v4 (the lynx version)
Servos: Lynx DS-895-HV (plastic case) cyclic, Blue Arrow tail
FBL: micro Brain2
Receiver: Spektrum 4649T
Batteries:
Tattu 3S 1050mah 45c
Gearing:
15t tail shaft, 13t or 15t motor pinion. I'm going to start with the 15t pinion and see how I like it. Thinking about head speeds from 3500-4500, but don't know for sure until I fly it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0251.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	746490  
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Start around 4000 rpm and work your way up or down from there.

This heli hauls ass at 4500 rpm on the 1911 motor.
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2018, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sweet, will be following this
slogoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl5973 View Post
Start around 4000 rpm and work your way up or down from there.

This heli hauls ass at 4500 rpm on the 1911 motor.
Cool I'll try that. I was planning on lower head speeds because I think I'll mostly be using this to practice circuits and figure 8s in various orientations, so tamer handling and longer flight time would be nice for that sort of thing.

I'll have 3 head speeds so 4000 will likely be the middle one.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm at the start of a nearly identical build. Only difference is I got the 75C version of the 1050 mah Tattus, which have a slighty different shape compared to the 45C.

I will be going with the 15T pinion, for governed headspeeds of 4000 - 4700 rpm.

I have the 15T tail pulley ready to go, so will probably stick that in there from the get go.

Did your Lynx DS-895-HV servos come with the carbon fiber mounting plate? Mine did not.

See your going with XT60 connectors - are you not concerned they are too bulky?
nickthenorse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are those XT60 connectors? If so, you will grow to hate those over time. Just too big and bulky for such a small compartment.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2018, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use XT60's but with the 850 mah 75C tattus...no problem. Haven't tried to larger packs though.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went with XT60s for a few reasons, mainly because that's what comes on the batteries. But also because I already have an XT60 parallel charge cable and some 1300mah packs with XT60s that I thought I might want to try occasionally. (I know those are a bit too heavy but the extra flight time could be nice when practicing some stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthenorse View Post
Did your Lynx DS-895-HV servos come with the carbon fiber mounting plate? Mine did not.
Neither did mine. Is that something I'll need?
Old 05-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrataco View Post
I went with XT60s for a few reasons, mainly because that's what comes on the batteries. But also because I already have an XT60 parallel charge cable and some 1300mah packs with XT60s that I thought I might want to try occasionally. (I know those are a bit too heavy but the extra flight time could be nice when practicing some stuff)

Neither did mine. Is that something I'll need?

My lipos also came with XT60s, but I plan on switching over to XT30s (will have to have to trim down the AWG 14 wires a little).

As for the carbon servo plates - I donít know if we need them, Iíve just seen them referenced on the forum and in some product images of the servos it shows the carbon plate included in the bag.
nickthenorse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2018, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome guys, i'm on the fence on this heli. I also have little time now a days and want a great back yard heli.
flyswatter40 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyswatter40 View Post
Awesome guys, i'm on the fence on this heli. I also have little time now a days and want a great back yard heli.
The way this heli flies is all in the set up.

Build it light and add weight via bigger lipo if you prefer the heavier feel. This way you get longer flight times.

I personally prefer the heli light on the 1611 motor.

This heli flies great if you keep it light. It can be as floaty as a 450 machine if you keep its RTF weight below 350g. I like it around 320 to 330 grans. Heli feels effortlessly light and floaty.

Once you get around 360g to 370g The heli starts to feel heavy and fast. Like a goblin 380. I do not like this set up on a 1911 motor. The torque of the motor can make the heli speed up in hurricanes very quickly and the heli drops fast when you start doing knife edge stuff. In hurricane and funnel transitions it feels like you desperately trying to keep it up there on knife edge rather then it just sits nicely when the heli is light.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Over the years of flying I have discovered the best set up for learning new sklls is a light set up with an average powered motor and lower headspeed. This is all dependent on what the lowest headspeed you can fly without having the tail let go

If the motor is too powerful the heli becomes too quick if it is light.

If the heli is heavy you need a powerful motor to counter the extra weight and you also face the problem adding extra headsped counter the extra
weight which can make the heli too fast for you for learning new skills or you need to play around and find another set of more expensive blades to give you more lift to keep headspeed at a manageable level.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got the bigger motor because I figured the torque would help with lower head speeds.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I got the bigger motor because I figured the torque would help with lower head speeds.
It definitely does at all haedspeeds

I do not know if the 1611 motor will bog at headspeeds below 4000 rpm if you stuff up your collective management to a point where the tail lets go.

I have not tried a 1611 motor at headspeeds below 4000 rpm.

My point is if you keep the heli light you probably do not have to worry about that.

The problem with the 1611 motor is you need a 9 tooth pinion to have it governed properly at lower headspeeds below 4000 rpm. Unfortunately Luca has tested a 9 tooth pinion for 2mm shaft but it was not possible to produce a reliable one that did not crack in testing.

The reason people use the 1911 motor for low headspeed is becasue Lynx was able to manufacture pinions with teeth low enough to govern the heli properly at headspeeds below 4000 rpm

The 1611 motor needs the correct pinion to be governed properly so that it will not bog at lower headspeeds ( below 4000 rpm).

The 1911 motor does not because it has so much torque.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

got the kit today

I only have about 2 evenings (maybe 3) to build it so need to work rather quickly. I will take pics as I go but will probably not get around posting them until after I'm done unless I have questions. I'm excited.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice
Old 05-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

dang it. I don't have a 1.3mm hex driver. I really should have looked over the manual earlier. I've never built a heli this small and didn't occur to me I might need any new tools. oh well. I'll get as far as I can without it and go pick one up tomorrow.

edit: ok that turned out to not be a big deal. The only thing that needed it so far is the tail crank ball.

I spent a long time deciding what pinion to run and decided on the 13t for headspeeds from 3700-4500. I skipped ahead a little and installed the esc before the second frame side. I got as far as installing the boom. So next up is the main gear.

I took lots of pics so will be posting those later

edit #2: I found a 1.3mm so I don't need to buy one after all.

Last edited by ultrataco; 05-30-2018 at 04:46 PM..
ultrataco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 01:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is taking longer than I had hoped due to time constraints but still making progress. Tonight I got the electronics set up and some of the fbl. Tomorrow (er I guess technically today, Friday) I'll do the wiring and finish the fbl setup, and then should be ready for maiden on Saturday.

And pics are coming I promise.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

crap. got all my wiring done and plugged it in and one of the cyclic servos is messed up. they all seemed fine yesterday.

Edit: I've ordered 2 replacement servos to be safe. (hopefully) I'm going on vacation for the next 2 weeks but I'm bringing the oxy and having the servos shipped to where I'm staying. So hopefully I will be able to maiden later next week.

Last edited by ultrataco; 06-03-2018 at 12:05 AM..
ultrataco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 11:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
crap. got all my wiring done and plugged it in and one of the cyclic servos is messed up. they all seemed fine yesterday.
Perfect time to get us pics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in