Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 120A ESC in a 700

Just want some general feedback - I think this is the correct forum...

I have an "older" Trex 700e DFC, which I bought from Andy at Aero Hobbies several years ago - the combo kit, and it came with a CC 120A ESC. Worked perfectly for MANY flights over a few years, then it did fry (burned cap), and I replaced with a new CC Edge 160A, which seems to be pretty popular.

Well, I got a TSA 700 kit last year and I had a Talon 120A sitting around so I stuck it in there. I wanted to use the BEC anyway. It's performing very well, although I might be pushing it pretty hard. I'm not a smack pilot. I have gotten the "overcurrent" warning beeps a couple times only.

So, 2 questions really:

Is a 120A ESC basically OK for a 700 sport flyer? If I got to, I will sell the Talon and get a higher-amp, like Hobbywing. I have a HWing 100A in my 6S Goblin 570 and it's perfect and does not get hot.

Why do some you ya'll spend more on an ESC (like Kosmik) than on the actual kit itself? (Wondered about this for a long time... )

Thank you.
gmann is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am building a lighter weight 700 on a J120. I feel with my flying style (sport/big air) it should be more than enough. Yes, to answer your question. You should be good flying sport.

I use to use HW esc’s. They were reliable and had a strong BEC. I eventually switched over to Kontronik because I started using vbar, telme and vbc. They work flawless together. The telemetry and the heli setup all done through the Tx is priceless. No more computers or guessing how much juice you have in the battery.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

We use to use 90A esc back in my day !! Just turn down the headspeed to something sane, this will keep the ESC cool and will give you longer flight times.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Reasons for spending $$$ on ESC:

Reliability ( 700 no joke)

Paranoia ( rebuilding a good 700 aint no joke, either. )

Resale value ( Latest greatest sells used for good $, so its an investment in "losing your money a little slower" than " cheap works" or "clone esc".

BEC rating ( directly related to #1, 2, and prolly #3, above. You don't have many choices when looking at the available high end high amp highly recommended BEC performance... Scorp, Kon, and HW... all of whom flagship escs are quite expensive. )

I spent 400$ on my 700, but having a brand new ESC that controls the power for all the control systems, for my 400$ heli, is worth 450$ to me.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Someone I know flies a trex 700 (well actually a assault 700 clone) on a HW 100A HV ESC and he never had any problems, his flying style is sport to soft 3D.

It surprised me to be honest, i thought he's be shutting the ESC down left, right and centre but not so.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

With my smaller helicopters I did spend some time experimenting with ESCs to push the limits of current, weight, cost and BEC output. However, when I got my 700X, I did not want to be experimenting with that so I chose the HobbyWing Platinum HV160A.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in