Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > OpenTX Radios

OpenTX Radios OpenTX Radios Discussion and Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default QX7s unable to connect to USB

Help guys. I am tearing my hair out. My newly delivered QX7S is unable to connect via USB cable to Companion on Windows 10 PC. The radio says 'USB connected' but Companion says 'no radio found'. I have tried Firmware 2.2.2, 2.2.1 and 2.2.0 installed to radio via SD card but nothing worked. Uninstalled and reinstalled Companion software with different versions but nil joy. Transmitter Bootloader says 2.2.0.

Any suggestions guys?
xp67 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I assume you tried another cable.

Did you set the correct radio type in the Companion profile?

Put the radio in mass storage mode and check you see the drive for the radio's SD card show up in Windows file explorer.

Did you try another computer?

Sorry to hear of your trouble, hopefully it's not a bum radio.
Krager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krager View Post
I assume you tried another cable.

Did you set the correct radio type in the Companion profile?

Put the radio in mass storage mode and check you see the drive for the radio's SD card show up in Windows file explorer.

Did you try another computer?

Sorry to hear of your trouble, hopefully it's not a bum radio.
How do set up mass storage mode? On the QX7s transmitter or Companion?
I have tried another cable (which is a charging cable), it does not even show 'USB connected' message on the transmitter. Probably the cable that shows 'USB Connected' is good. I will try to get another cable.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp67 View Post
How do set up mass storage mode? On the QX7s transmitter or Companion?
I have tried another cable (which is a charging cable), it does not even show 'USB connected' message on the transmitter. Probably the cable that shows 'USB Connected' is good. I will try to get another cable.
Arrrgh! Found another cable in my drawer and it works! Gosh, why would the QX7S say 'USB Connected' when there is a problem. Geesh.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad to hear it was just a bad cable. Not sure how the radio detects a USB connection, probably just senses the power pins and not data so it would not necessarily detect a bad cable.

Charging cables actually violate the USB standard so if you have any, get rid of them. The only difference is they lack the data connection. You can get data cables with heavier gauge power wires for charging so you should use those instead, will save you the trouble of mixing up the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp67 View Post
How do set up mass storage mode?
For OpenTX 2.2.1 there's options for the USB port, in the radio settings menu (joystick, mass storage, ask). Set it to mass storage and you'll see the SD card as a drive in Windows. Or set it to ask and it will provide a menu to select when you plug in the cable.

For 2.2.0 the USB cable setting is a build option so you have to set that before downloading and updating firmware (look in Companion settings for build options). You should update to 2.2.1 if you haven't already. The way the USB connection is handled is a significant change.
Krager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in