Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mba83
  • 1 Post By Buzzing Around
  • 1 Post By Wargamer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Buying a used T-Rex 250

Hi Forum,

i'm currently looking for a used T-Rex 250.
By looking over the different offers, i have the impression that there are a lot of different variants over the years and i can't exactly figure out how to compare them.

So right now i'm having the following questions:
- How long have paddle helis been sold by Align roughly? I see a lot of such offers in my budget but many people don't know exactly how old they are.
- How many variants of the T-Rex 250 with paddles have there been? I often see the T-Rex 250 (looking like this: http://q8rc.com/rc/wp-content/upload...rex-250....jpg) and the T-Rex 250 SE (looking like this: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...bo-AGNKX019005). Are there only these two variants? Is every T-Rex 250 SE newer than the T-Rex 250 shown in the first picture?
- Are there some special parts indicating very old models? I read that the t-rex 250 had some problems with his tail assembly causing tail instability. Can i somehow check if the model at hand doesn't have this problem?
- Are there any other details i should check?

That's a lot of questions. I hope someone can help me
Abovetheclouds is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2018, 03:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I type stuff...then erase it.

...then type stuff and erase that.

(be objective) I tell myself.
(promote the hobby) I tell myself

Problem is..I Googled two things trex 250..read them..and was almost in the fetal position on the floor in the corner...again.

I can't go back..I just can't.
(scene from aliens when Ripley shoots awake from the nightmare that changes her mind about going back)
Ripley : 'We're going there to kill them, right?..Not to bring back..not study..but to to wipe them out?".. Right?
Burk, Carter J : 'You have my word, kiddo'
Ripley (reluctantly) : 'I'm in' (click)

We know how that turned out.
Game over man..game over.

That being said...I too have a xenomorph...that I can't let go. 2 days ago I decided to sell my 250 to facilitate the purchase of a Oxy2. Dug around for all things 250 for the sale..took pics of stockpiles nip parts for it...but..when I got to the model and popped the canopy off...and studied it for first time in a while...my mind changed..again.
There's just somethin about 'em...especially if you've rebuilt one...a few times.

I'll say this:

If you're in this for 'the size'..then I beg you consider a oxy2/3, a 180cfx or fusion 270.

But...If you're in it for the 'Trex 250' ..then know it..and buckle up..

Actually..all drama aside...the consensus is if you put a 'really REALLY good servo' on the tail you'll PROBABLY be fine. It's when you try to figure out why this is still a necessity after 12+yrs, tens of thousands of units sold including the release of at least 4(?) different model versions, that makes your brain cry. (sshhhHHH..be objective damn it!)

Don't get me wrong...welcome to the thread.
I look forward to seeing where this goes.

I'll have more positive things to say when the above google searches wear off.

"Engineered to the quality expected for a T-Rex. There were a few initial problems with the tail but it was quickly handled and fix with a new metal replacement."

(shaking head)

Last edited by Tech 4 9; 07-04-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Tech 4 9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get the dfc pro, which is the latest version. I'm still flying mine because, after 2years it is finally setup right and im skeptical an oxy2 flies better if the mass is the same.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let's start here:

Do you want belt or torque tube tail?
(leave trex tail issue out of decision as issue persists with all iterations of align 250 tails. Though there were 'improvements'..but a true cure was never released...with trex parts anyway. Many have had acceptable results with newest tt tail with better pitch slider and a servo that can pull tree stumps out the ground)

Gyro or flybarless?

Do you want 'a project' or do you wanna just go fly?

The newest model iteration with tt and a 'stump puller' (ie..robust..hight speed/high torque) tail servo is easiest, quickest route. I recently saw a pair for sale for $190 although I'm not sure what that included for electronics.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My advice: get an oxy2 or oxy3 instead. I had 3 or 4 250s and none of them came even close to my oxys.
Cman likes this.
mba83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2018, 04:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your answers so far

I think i should also let you know what's the budget, so you know which options are suitable for me.
Generally, i would be fine with having a gyro + flybar copter for around 130 USD max. When there is a nice FBL offer, i would be fine to spend a maximum of 170 USD.
Both offers should include everything in terms of mechanics and electronics so i only need to put my receiver + battery into it and start setting everything up for flying.

I think this budget range will not allow me to have a Oxy 2/3
There are also not many options for Oxy 2s in my area.
T-Rexes however are very common here so getting spare parts is fairly easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech 4 9 View Post
Let's start here:

Do you want belt or torque tube tail?
I'm fine with both of them. As far as i read both have their pros and cons.

Quote:
Do you want 'a project' or do you wanna just go fly?
I don't need something that can fly perfectly out of the box.
For that, i have a little quadcopter and a cp copter in the 100 range
So i'm fine with fiddling a bit around on the 250.

Quote:
The newest model iteration with tt and a 'stump puller' (ie..robust..hight speed/high torque) tail servo is easiest, quickest route. I recently saw a pair for sale for $190 although I'm not sure what that included for electronics.
But this wasn't including all the necessary electronics, right?
Old 07-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abovetheclouds View Post
Thank you very much for your answers so far

I think i should also let you know what's the budget, so you know which options are suitable for me.
Generally, i would be fine with having a gyro + flybar copter for around 130 USD max. When there is a nice FBL offer, i would be fine to spend a maximum of 170 USD.
Both offers should include everything in terms of mechanics and electronics so i only need to put my receiver + battery into it and start setting everything up for flying.

I think this budget range will not allow me to have a Oxy 2/3
There are also not many options for Oxy 2s in my area.
T-Rexes however are very common here so getting spare parts is fairly easy.

I'm fine with both of them. As far as i read both have their pros and cons.

I don't need something that can fly perfectly out of the box.
For that, i have a little quadcopter and a cp copter in the 100 range
So i'm fine with fiddling a bit around on the 250.

But this wasn't including all the necessary electronics, right?
Did you get a 250?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 250 which I bought used from helifreak classifieds few years ago - it turned out to be a 250SE super combo model with 3G FBL (non-DFC head) with microbeast. Took it apart and reassembled correcting several mistakes - it was my first "kit" heli but I was able to follow through the manual. I broke one of DS410 servos during reassembly (pulled the wires); so, installed very inexpensive Emax MG servos keeping the DS420 for the tail. Despite the Emax servos, It flew well; unfortunately, after several months of flights, it landed inverted due to a fail-safe after I flew too far from me (I guess, because of an underpowered 10mw Devo 7E Tx running Deviation firmware). The only part needed to be replaced was a bent spindle plus some scratches on the carbon main blades. I took the whole heli apart and stored it in the drawer.

After reading this thread, I decided to assemble it back together; however, I cannot find the second rubber damper that goes into the main hub. 250 3G FBL head manual suggests using 70 degree rubber damper; however, only thing I can find locally is 75 degree ones. Do you guys think it should be fine if I use the "harder" dampers? Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt this thread
Cman likes this.

Last edited by Buzzing Around; 07-12-2018 at 01:15 PM..
Buzzing Around is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is an excellent thread on dampers, especially post #4 by Ah Clem.

Short answer is, give them a try. You may notice some slightly different flight characteristics, but nothing that would be a "fail".
Buzzing Around likes this.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer View Post
This is an excellent thread on dampers, especially post #4 by Ah Clem.

Short answer is, give them a try. You may notice some slightly different flight characteristics, but nothing that would be a "fail".
Great info, thank you
Buzzing Around is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2018, 04:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Did you get a 250?
I got a nice offer for a T-Rex 450 Pro recently that i couldn't resist.
So i guess the 250 has to wait a bit
Old 07-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many would say you'll be happier with the 450.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Many would say you'll be happier with the 450.
I second that. Now that I have my 250 set up and flying I enjoy it but I can also say that it quickly outgrew it’s purpose of being able to practice inside. I can fly the 450 in my barn and outside and the 250 is too far away from the 500 to be a good cross trainer although it does get you quick on the sticks.
T-Rex 250SE (1 min 57 sec)
Tug Driver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in