Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DCflyer
  • 1 Post By mb-1953

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Shape S8 maiden

I finally got the Shape airborn today. Took me a while to find a bag big enough to carry it. I am pleased to say both the heli and the bag worked perfectly.

It required no adjustments whatsoever, not even tail gain, it flies perfectly without having to touch any FBL settings. I'm using a Spartan VX1, just did the usual setup and it's bang on the money.

I actually expected it to look bigger and maybe feel different. It does look big on the ground but basically my first impression is that it flies very much like my low -ish headspeed 700s. The tall profile makes it very visible even far away, so maybe I was flying it higher and farther as a result.

I had Zeal 800s on it this time but I have the X807s and I'll put those on next time out.

So far so good, everything is running cool and very smooth :-) And I'm flying it on the same packs I fly in my 700s, cheap 4000mah off-brand, some very old Turnigy 5000s, some Opti 5000s. The battery layout will even allow my lightest 4000mah packs (Zippy Compacts) to fit and still get a good C of G. (pictured with my Beam E4 SE)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080136-sm.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	751277   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080141.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	751279   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080160.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	751280  
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.

Last edited by trillian; 07-21-2018 at 02:51 PM..
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Grats dude. The frame on that thing is enormous. Very unique layout. I wish they had gone with a thicker boom on it but still looks good. I’ve never seen one in person but have always been a fan of these machines.
trillian likes this.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah, a few months ago when it started to warm up here and I got my enthusiasm for helis back, I wanted something new and I began browsing around and by accident ran across the Shape website. Even though it came out (I think) around the beginning of 2015 / end of 2014, I had never seen it before and it really caught my eye.

The boom is bigger than the Aligns or the Logo 800 but maybe a bit smaller than the HD Cell 750. But I like the way the tail pushrod runs inside the boom.

The frame layout is a very different approach to the more conventional designs you usually see. I like the battery arrangement because it's easy changing packs between flights and allows all sizes and shapes.

One thing I would do differently if I was designing it is that I would simplify it to a direct-to-swash setup for less parts and links etc. But it all works really well.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice job, I enjoy mine but had the tail drive gears strip. The tolerance is very small between working or stripping. I had to use 2 shims.
mb-1953 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb-1953 View Post
Nice job, I enjoy mine but had the tail drive gears strip. The tolerance is very small between working or stripping. I had to use 2 shims.
Are you talking about the gears at the rear in the tail case / tail shaft? Or the gears in front with the crown gear?

I had heard the crown gear mesh has be to be just right and if it's too tight the crown gear can overheat.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

crown gear can either melt or strip if mesh isn't just right
trillian likes this.
mb-1953 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb-1953 View Post
crown gear can either melt or strip if mesh isn't just right
OK, cool. That is something I had heard about. I forgot how many shims I have but I think it's just right. I checked the gear periodically in my first couple flights and it was always cold, it runs totally smooth with just a tiny bit of backlash.

I'm also flying at very moderate headspeeds and I don't do a lot of piro moves or aggressive tail stops etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in