Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2018, 07:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Zenoah TRM 310 - Cylinder Head Bold Removal for Temp. Sensor Install?

Good morning all,

I am just wondering if this is easily done, or if I am just asking for TROUBLE!

I have the Jeti temperature sensor, which is two wire loops with small sensors in the center of each loop. My intention is to put one sensor between the top two cooling fins at the top of the cylinder head. And I was going to put the other temp. sensor in the cooling fins at the bottom of the cooling fins just above the exhaust output. To me, the cleanest install would be to remove two or three of the cylinder head bolts one at a time to get the sensor wire behind the bolt so it would rest between the bolt and cylinder head, then replace the bolt and move to the next one.

Questions:

1. Is the above bolt remove procedure acceptable, or should I just leave well enough alone and stuff the wire into the opening as best I can?

Assuming this is an acceptable install procedure:

2. What type Loctite or thread lock should I use when I reinstall the bolts? Red? Or Blue? And I have no torque wrench, but would tighten the bolt firmly, but not tight enough to snap off the head!

I am using JB Weld High-Temp Red Silicone gasket maker and sealant and will push the sensor wiring into small drops or beads of the silicone material.

Thank you for your comments.

Steve
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You got it!

I use hi temp red on cyl bolts, have since day one. Probably not required but good insurance.

One bolt at a time is correct.
You have to remove all 4 bolts so the wire drops into the groove.

I only install one sensor in fin groove just above exhaust port, thatís the critical area.
I donít use RTV on sensor, I add some nitro fuel tubing slot down the centrr then zip tied over the wires to hold it in place and add protection and it has worked well. I drilled a small hole in the plastic cylinder shroud near the carb to secure the wire.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.

Last edited by fastflyer20; 07-29-2018 at 11:02 AM..
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fastflyer,

Thank you for your response and comments. It sounds like I was on the right track. Interesting about using the high temp. silicone on the bolt threads. I have read that in some older threads, so it sounds like still works.

With the fuel tubing, on top of the sensor wiring, I assume there is not a problem with some decreased air flow in the area where the tubing is inserted?

This is my afternoon project. Thanks!

Steve
Old 07-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry I meant hi temp red loctite on cyl bolts.

I will try and get a pic of the tubing, itís to cinch the loop tight.

TRM Power
Old 07-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using Jeti as well. I have a sensor on a nitro heli.
Can this be used as a tuning aid?
bclark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Yes or Kinda Sort of : You will learn a lot !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark View Post
I'm using Jeti as well. I have a sensor on a nitro heli.
Can this be used as a tuning aid?
I'm using a Older RC. Car remote on board temp sensor made by Traxe's on a Nitro Test Bed.
It has a data logger and powered by a Mercury Nickle battery.

You will learn some neat stuff ! Like A LOT !!!! Some pretty unusual too

The thermocouple wire is pretty special stuff as it is electrically resistant sensitive dependent on how hot it gets : In this case it is known as K wire. It is in the electrical resistance feed back. Their are at least 3- types of Thermocouple Wire

Mine is directly touching in hard contact with the cylinder wall, - Under the cylinder head full circumference, -again in direct contact with the cylinder - deep inside the #1 fin.

It must be in direct contact : It's wedged tight against the surface with a few small bit's of balsa then carefully potted or encapsulated full circumference - Mine is in a Loop configuration.

It's Neat - To Tune by It > ?? Wait till you get the readings it provides - It's shocking
GREYEAGLE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Temp is for reference only, there are way to many variables to use someone else’s temp as a magic number. Once you have an engine tuned in, use the temp as a reference, it can help give warning if something goes wrong and it gets hot. If your TX allows, setting an alarm is ideal.

TRM Power
Old 07-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Well ? It's a TEmp but what is TOO Hot or TOO Cold ? >>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastflyer20 View Post
Temp is for reference only, there are way to many variables to use someone else’s temp as a magic number. Once you have an engine tuned in, use the temp as a reference, it can help give warning if something goes wrong and it gets hot. If your TX allows, setting an alarm is ideal.
How do you set the parameter ????

Can you be TOO Cold ??? YES

What is Hot ? Its in your fuel mixture - too lean is too late :

Have had temp's as high as 343 F in a Non Lean Condition " Loved it " BACON !
But told too not do that - Too much head speed for a plastic head.

No Damage - It's a Dog Motor too

Then on the same exact run on a 90 degree high humidity day- watch it come off the pipe on a setting Idle / watch the real time temp gauge -- and drop too ((((( 70 F ))))) degrees on the cylinder contact wall under the # 1 fin .

That is on a 90 degree - Ugly heat / High Humidity day

SO - Y ?
GREYEAGLE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastflyer20 View Post
Sorry I meant hi temp red loctite on cyl bolts.

I will try and get a pic of the tubing, itís to cinch the loop tight.
Fastflyer, thank you for your comments! And thanks on the red Loctite clarification. I got one bolt out easily, but have decided to wait a few weeks to finish my build. I made a good effort on the build this past weekend, but I am probably way overthinking this project as I assemble. I just don't want to be too rushed and forget something critical.

Also, I promised my co-pilot a mini-vacation with a few stops before IRCHA. That has not worked out so well. So before any more time passes, I need to start my 20 hour drive from Florida, in the next few hours.

Bclark and Greyeagle, for me, the temperature sensor is like what Fastflyer20 said... It is just a reference and will satisfy my curiosity at times. So many gassers in the air without telemetry or sensors, but since the technology is available for me, I NEED it! Really just one more bit of technology/bling.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.