Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OXY HELI

OXY HELI OXY HELI Factory Support Forum

Like Tree104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's possible the the heli shown at IRCHA was a stretched version of the Oxy5, hence 12S and bigger "look".

My guess is unstretched 520 stretched 570. Then it's neither a 500, 550, or 600
mba83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlane4osu View Post
I think the perfect 6s heli size is 505-525mm or so.
Me too
Old 08-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Look at the height of the boom and diameter of the main shaft compared to the Vbar Neo on the back plate. My guess is its smaller than you think
Old 08-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahbouni View Post
Look at the height of the boom and diameter of the main shaft compared to the Vbar Neo on the back plate. My guess is its smaller than you think
In the pics next to people it looks no bigger than a 500. Only thing throwing me off is people seem pretty sure the servos are full size. Full size servos in anything smaller than a 500 makes no sense to me but maybe this thing is just built to be battle ready lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
rlane4osu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2018, 06:13 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

The ESC is a Scorpion 130A 12S, right? I haven't seen one in person, but that thing would look huge on a 500, right? Oh, the suspense is killing me

But I guess without the canopy it is also hard to judge size
Hobee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mba83 View Post
It's possible the the heli shown at IRCHA was a stretched version of the Oxy5, hence 12S and bigger "look".

My guess is unstretched 520 stretched 570. Then it's neither a 500, 550, or 600
I've done some more scaling from the pics. The servos are KST MS(or X20) 2208 on the swash, they are clearly identifiable, you can see the letters KST and no other KST servo has that same case design and colour. The tail servo you cant see as well but will logically will be be a KST 1035. These servos have a 40mm long case, I know this for a fact because I have some, plus the KST spec says so.

From the known servo dimension and using the photo of the heli on the ground, it is very easy to scale off the length of the heli between main shaft and tail shaft. The length scales at 695mm and I'd say to put a tolerance of +/-10mm on that. As a double check I can scale off the length and depth of the battery, which comes out at 115mm and 37mm. This is spot on for what you would expect for a 2600mAh 6S pack so proves the method quite nicely.

As I guess you all know, the maximum size of the blades a heli can spin is dictated by the distance between main shaft and tail shaft (to avoid main blades and tail blades clipping)

Here are some comparison dimensions from helis in my fleet:
  • Goblin 420 = 570mm
  • XLPower 520 = 695mm
  • Trex 600 Pro = 800mm
  • Trex 700X = 920mm

I'm 100% confident that the 'main shaft to tail shaft' dimension of this Oxy 5 very closely matches my XLPower 520, which is a '500 class' heli which can spin up to 520mm blades.

I've really got no doubt that the heli in the photos is what we would conventionally call a '500'. Like most other 'full 500' class helis can take blades up to 520mm give or take a few mm. This puts it in the same size class as the XLP 520, Goblin 500, Synergy 516, Logo 500 etc.
The fact that Oxy call it the Oxy 5 kinda proves the point!

I appreciate that Oxy insiders have flat out denied this but IMHO they are playing a game of 'smoke and mirrors' or maybe the heli is so secret they themselves dont even know. The evidence is right there in front of us, anyone with a rule can prove it..

I'll repeat again, the heli in the photo is a 500 that will spin a max blade size of 520mm, give or take a few mm. If the final production model is different is always possible of course.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's definitely interesting that the size appears to be a true 500 while the servos and battery are more appropriate to a larger heli. But then that also looks like a Trib 130A, which would be total overkill for a normal 500. Luca likes his helis to have crazy performance on the high end though, so maybe it's a 500 designed for insane HS.

That would also explain the full-size servos on cyclic, and starts you wondering what that motor is!

Old 08-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quite a few 'true' 500 size helis use full size cyclic servos. The Synergy, the Goblin and the Logo all can use 'standard'/'full size' servos.. so that's nothing at all unusual, in fact it's more the norm.

The 130A is the smallest Tribunus made for 12S, so no smaller option if you want to use a Tribunus.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Certainly fun to speculate. Just wonder how long goes by before that ends. Excited about what it may be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2018, 11:59 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobee View Post
The ESC is a Scorpion 130A 12S, right? I haven't seen one in person, but that thing would look huge on a 500, right? Oh, the suspense is killing me

But I guess without the canopy it is also hard to judge size
I have a Jive Pro 120HV on my stretched Logo 480 spinning Switch 503mm blades. The logs show max currents over 130A even when not pushing it too hard and with tired old batteries. With a hard flight and a new battery it can easily exceed 200A
Old 08-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have a Jive Pro 120HV on my stretched Logo 480 spinning Switch 503mm blades. The logs show max currents over 130A even when not pushing it too hard and with tired old batteries. With a hard flight and a new battery it can easily exceed 200A
yeah, but i guess that's running 6S? With 12S the current is halved for the same power.

There are many 700 being flown very hard on 130A HV ESCs on 12S, so it is overkill on a 500 but like i explained, it's the smallest 12S Tribunus available, so no option.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer View Post
starts you wondering what that motor is!

Motor is a Scorpion HKII 4025 either 550Kv or 650Kv. This is again by scaling off and also the number of cooling holes in the top which nails it as an HKIII rather than the new HKIV

It's normally considered a 550 or 600 heli motor so yes, very OTT for a 500. But the motor does look 'big for the heli' in the photo and is consistent with the claim that the heli brings a level of power and performance never seen in the class before.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suppose there are three plausible theories here:

1. They used an OTT motor, ESC and battery combination, along with full-size servos, because that's what they happened to have lying around...

2. They went with those components because it's actually designed for OTT performance...

3. Those aren't the intended components but they wanted to confuse everybody to crank up the rumor mill...

Old 08-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’m sure it’s ‘option 2’ with the exception of the ESC which if you want a Tribunus is the smallest there is for 12S, so no real option.
I guess that the airframe will be designed to be flexible enough to take different power train options, probably including 6S for those that want single pack simplicity. But it makes sense when torture testing a prototype to put in the most OTT hardware. If it can cope with the most extreme hardware then all other options should not even break sweat.
mr. mark, KiwiBlair and Wargamer like this.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
yeah, but i guess that's running 6S? With 12S the current is halved for the same power.

There are many 700 being flown very hard on 130A HV ESCs on 12S, so it is overkill on a 500 but like i explained, it's the smallest 12S Tribunus available, so no option.
Yeah it's 6s but for me that's the whole point of having a 500mm blade machine. It's so convenient to just slap 6 x 6s packs on parallel charge and be on my way to the field after an hour. If I have time to charge more packs for 12s, I'm taking my 700. I have a Logo 550SX here with a 12s setup but I've not flown it at all this year. I don't even have batteries for it any more
Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yeah it's 6s but for me that's the whole point of having a 500mm blade machine. It's so convenient to just slap 6 x 6s packs on parallel charge and be on my way to the field after an hour. If I have time to charge more packs for 12s, I'm taking my 700. I have a Logo 550SX here with a 12s setup but I've not flown it at all this year. I don't even have batteries for it any more
Yeah, I wasn't commenting on the convenience of 6S vs 12S, only that current (Amps) will be much lower at the ESC for a 12S setup. So you you can use a much smaller Amp rating ESC on a 12S setup vs a 6S setup (assuming same power in both cases)

But as you brought up convenience.... Personally i dont find 12S setups any significant inconvenience. Sure, it gives you one extra connector to plug in, it takes a couple of seconds to do that. Batteries can be tray mounted on most helis so actually installing the packs can be the same either way.

Charging time is no different. It takes exactly the same time to (parallel) charge 2 x 2600 6S packs as it does to charge 1 x 5200 6S pack. So the difference comes back to the extra connectors you have to plug in (no big deal IMHO).

Having said that the performance difference between 12S and 6S is also often greatly exaggerated. At 500 size there should be no reason you cant get similar performance from either setup, you just need a higher Amp rated ESC for the 6S heli.
Thickfog likes this.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:55 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
Charging time is no different. It takes exactly the same time to (parallel) charge 2 x 2600 6S packs as it does to charge 1 x 5200 6S pack. So the difference comes back to the extra connectors you have to plug in (no big deal IMHO).
Not if you parallel charge. I can charge 6x 6S packs in 20 minutes, and head out to the field for an hour's flying.

If I were flying a 12S setup I'd be getting 3 flights rather than 6. 6S is pretty convenient for a grab & go flying session :-)
Jason Courville likes this.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
Not if you parallel charge. I can charge 6x 6S packs in 20 minutes, and head out to the field for an hour's flying.

If I were flying a 12S setup I'd be getting 3 flights rather than 6. 6S is pretty convenient for a grab & go flying session :-)
You get 10 min flights on a 500 heli running 6s packs? Wow.

I can easily run 10 mins on my logo 690sx running 12s, 4200 mah packs, but the best I've ever got on my lightest heli anywhere near a 500 is the logo 480xx running 6s 3100mah packs. And I can squeeze an 8 min flight sometimes. 9 with low headspeed, but my collective management has to be spot on as I'm flying above trees and around obstacles in my yard. That makes lower headboard less fun and more stressful given the conditions.
My first logo 690sx flight almost hit 13 mins. I had a low headspeed around 1400 and as it was a maiden, so flying was easy style.

My other 500 size helis struggle to get 7 mins. Doing that even, and packs are coming down way to low at 3.6v. 6 mins is more realistic on those.

And this is all at mediocre headspeed and sport flying. I'm no 3d master here.

Gotta fully agree with GOM.
My 12s heli setups batts are on a plate. Same time to charge, easy in and out and one more plug to do. Doesn't take any longer. But it just feels so different. Doesn't feel like I'm pushing my electronics. Everything comes down lukewarm. My 6s helis are darn warm to hot.

This has me contemplating selling all of my 500 size (3 goblin 500 sport) helis.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog View Post
You get 10 min flights on a 500 heli running 6s packs? Wow.
Lol, no, I get 3-8 mins a flight depending on the flying style (mAh telemetry rocks!), but between tinkering, changing packs, changing helis, and chatting, 6 packs usually take up an hour :-D
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post

Yes, even if you parallel charge it takes the exact same time. With the 12s setup you just have twice as many packs connected to your charger, but as each pack is haft the capacity then charge time is identical. The only difference is you have more connectors to make and break which is hardly a big deal.
If your parallel board only takes 6 packs simply use two boards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in