Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC > Spartan Vortex

Spartan Vortex Spartan RC - Vortex VX1 Factory Support Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RotorHeadKen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Vortex + Datapod + Remote Tweaks = Nirvana

I don't know why I resisted using the Datapod when tuning my helis. It really cuts down on the time needed to dial in the settings.

My 450 is flying rock solid now.

That is all.
iscripter likes this.
RotorHeadKen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh yeah, remote tuning is superb. I've got a datapod and Jeti integration, tuning is stupidly quick :-)
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Absolutely! The DP makes setup and tweaking so quick and easy and it's totally portable. It's massively convenient.

I've only had a few other FBL units but the Spartans are by far the easiest to setup and I find the default settings and heli / style wizards often arrive at settings that are bang on the money right from the start.

My only (minor) gripes are that if you update the firmware in one unit you have to update the DP and then it won't work with any others still on the previous firmware. Also, in the swash setup I wish it was possible to step back, like when setting subtrims on the servos you have to cycle all the way through if you need to go back to servo 1 again.... but a very minor thing.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I agree. I've spoken to Angelos in the past about both, on the DataPod there's limited code space if I remember correctly, so it just wasn't possible to have it support multiple versions, and the GUI needs a total rewrite to support back buttons as the process under the hood is designed to support you as you work through the setup steps.

Angelos is aware of both, but there's no easy fix for either unfortunately.

On the plus side, I totally agree, the Vortex has the best setup wizard and easiest config of any unit I've tried so far.
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

is it worth the 65 USD if you only have one unit?

im paying with loonies up here in canada.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey fellow Canuck, its worth every penny. Love my Datapod!!

Steve
Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, I suspect that the answer to this is entirely subjective. If you find that you end up setting your Vortex up on day one, after only a few packs, and have not touched it since, because you are happy with how it flies and also find it no trouble taking your PC to the field with you, because the field is outside your back door, or if your vision is such that you need a magnifying glass to make out the writing on the datapod, but can manage with the text on a PC, then no, it's probably not worth it.

If however, you like to tinker, often, changing head speed, and other settings, and want to adjust them, on the fly, to match, or if your flying is progressing rapidly and you want to alter the heli accordingly, and the field is miles away, and you detest taking a PC with you, for security reasons, or whatever, and your vision is 20 20, then yes, I guess this is for you.

I haven't adjusted either of my Vortex equipped helis in years, and can't read it anyway, so I guess I fall more into the former group rather than the latter.
sutty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutty View Post
Well, I suspect that the answer to this is entirely subjective. If you find that you end up setting your Vortex up on day one, after only a few packs, and have not touched it since, because you are happy with how it flies and also find it no trouble taking your PC to the field with you, because the field is outside your back door, or if your vision is such that you need a magnifying glass to make out the writing on the datapod, but can manage with the text on a PC, then no, it's probably not worth it.

If however, you like to tinker, often, changing head speed, and other settings, and want to adjust them, on the fly, to match, or if your flying is progressing rapidly and you want to alter the heli accordingly, and the field is miles away, and you detest taking a PC with you, for security reasons, or whatever, and your vision is 20 20, then yes, I guess this is for you.

I haven't adjusted either of my Vortex equipped helis in years, and can't read it anyway, so I guess I fall more into the former group rather than the latter.
Good points

I believe one of the main reasons people did not get the spartan FBL unit in the past was because you needed to purchase an additional datapod to set it up and tune it. They did not want to pay extra for it.

Then all of sudden vbar comes up with vcontrol and integration with the FBL unit. Now for some reason people decided yeah that seems to be the way to go. I will fork out big money to get a transmitter that allows me to progam and tune the FBL unit from my transmiter yet getting a seperate box that cost 10 times less to do the same thing was not cool.

The world works in mysterious ways.
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Besides, if you fly planks like I do, Vcontrol is worthless for that purpose.

I did setup my first Spartan FBL with laptop and it was ok. Now I won't bother. I do everything with Datapod and I like that a lot.
I have tried Vbar, Brain, 3GX and from all I find Spartan Vortex easiest to setup. Normally I do not have to tinker cyclic at all and only minor tweaking of tail gain. After getting to know the heli I tend to fine tune small things like headspeed, gov start and tail. For all this Datapod is very good, not to mention transmitter tuning any parameter when Datapod is onboard.
ini_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in