Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > 3D Printing

3D Printing Discuss 3D printed items and 3D printers as they relate to RC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2018, 06:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Legality of posting STL's for repair parts.

Just got my Gaui NX7 in the air last weekend and due to a setup issue I broke a skid strut. I have replacements on order but they won't be here for a week or so and it occurred to me that I could easily design and print a custom strut to use in the meantime. I designed a two piece interlocking strut because my printer is too small to print the whole thing and it is printing right now but the point is it's an entirely different design than the original. I am reasonably sure that I am okay for personal use and I suspect posting them is fine but does anybody know if there would be any legal issues with posting these on Thingiverse?
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are many items on thingaverse that refer to its intended use by stating the manufacturers name on model. Haven’t heard of it being an issue.
vebbyson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

i never share anything on thingiverse because believe it or not there are bums that will print and try to sell if its a perfect part. i myself have made a few pennies designing and making a few parts. so i think if you dont use key words like "align trex 600 skid" and maybe say "trex 600 compatible skid" youd b ok. after all it seems as align has abandoned us for the most part for parts. but they still own the name "align" if that makes any sense. if your printing for your own use u wont have any problems its only when u try to sell.
madmorgan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I designed this for the T-REX 500X last year. It worked very well.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/F2...li=marketplace

Sold at least one, but have since lost access to my account on Shapeways since I signed up using Facebook, and I have since closed that Facebook account. I just contacted support about hopefully getting access to my account again. Unfortunately if they can't help me it looks like I'm screwed, I don't think I even have the original 3D file anymore

Because it is not a copy or even similar to the original pulley I don't believe there's any risk in me selling it. And realistically, as long as I don't claim it to be the original ALIGN part (not this pulley necessarily but anything I was to design and sell) I don't think they could do anything. After all, clone heli parts are sold all the time still. However, one thing to note is that if you just straight up copy say a skid strut for example, more than likely it would be more expensive to buy it 3D printed than to buy the original part. That's the main reason I suspect any heli company wouldn't have any reason to fear 3D printed parts.
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2019, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well if you guys think about it. Lynx and KDE and others have been making parts for other helicopters for years, some of them direct copies or extremely similar with slight tweaks. If they can CNC it, I think you could print it as a compatible part and sell it. Super late to enter this conversation but I think itís relevant. I found a really good copy of randomheliís skid clamps on Thingiverse, and one of the employees for RandomHeli complimented the designer. He made a 9/10mm version which the company didnít offer, but it was a clone of their design.
Sherer46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in