Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would recommend you run this engine with Red Line 2T synthetic, its a thin oil and run it with an 18% oil mixture

MStudios makes a muffler for them, I keep them in stock

MStudios was founded by one of Mr. Hatori's employees so they are very similar in construction............and price

carey shurley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey shurley View Post
I would recommend you run this engine with Red Line 2T synthetic, its a thin oil and run it with an 18% oil mixture

MStudios makes a muffler for them, I keep them in stock

MStudios was founded by one of Mr. Hatori's employees so they are very similar in construction............and price
Cool thanks for all the good info thatís sounds really good. I got to wait a while though I just got a Jeti TX so itís going to take some time to recover from that.
joecass2 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw0513 View Post
It's simple in my mind. It's the form factor and light weight making a 550 to 600 size gasser a possibility. A Zenoah in a 600 size airframe just doesn't have the same appeal to me. But I well understand I'm alone with this viewpoint.

Good on OS for having a go. Making an engine suitable for a heli application is obviously not easy.

Oh I get that , I'd never want to stuff a Zenoah in a 600. Too heavy.

My point was that the cost of this engine and the O.S. pipe, a GT15HZ powered 550 costs just as much as a 700 anyway ($2-3k+ all up)

If I'm spending 700 money, I want a 700
, Futaba 18SZ
jharkin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey shurley View Post
I would recommend you run this engine with Red Line 2T synthetic, its a thin oil and run it with an 18% oil mixture....
This flash point comparison seems to support Redline too :
http://www.rmms.com.au/manuals/OILS_AINT_OILS.pdf
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2018, 05:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
Ö
If I'm spending 700 money, I want a 700
I completely understand. It's a known quantity with a good number of existing recipes with almost guaranteed success.

But the form factor of the GT15HZ was attractive to me. Imagine if OS had developed a cooling system that worked across multiple platforms or teamed up with Align to market a "working" airframe. Too much to bite off no doubt.
brw0513 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use Castrol Power 1 Racing 2T oil. From the datasheet of the oil:
Quote:
Burns fast and protects well

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/F...PXE-9MWDP5.pdf
Trex 600 Gasser FBL | HeliXHeli conv. | OS GT15HZ | iKon | Homemade onboard generator
Azalin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

And the flash point is 73 deg C.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/F...PXE-98RLQA.pdf

I guess its time for me to change the oil.

I used to use Motul at 25:1 but that oil is way too thick.
Trex 600 Gasser FBL | HeliXHeli conv. | OS GT15HZ | iKon | Homemade onboard generator
Azalin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
And the flash point is 73 deg C.
The flash point of oil ingredients is important but needs to be read with care.

73 deg C is very low and probably associated with a dye or detergent or some other ingredient that is not responsible for actual lubrication at much higher temperatures.

Beware with published flash point temperatures. Find out what they are associated with before deciding on quality. From memory, the best datasheets show two flash point temps - one for the lowest flashing chemical, the other for the actual lubricating base.
brw0513 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Didn't Go Engine actually get something like this to work just by taking their nitro heli engine and converting it to gasoline? It would fit in a stock Trex 600N or Raptor 50 airframe with just a cooling fan swap. I wonder why OS didn't just do that?

I always wondered if you could fit the GH-56G in a Pantera P6, it has the space for a .90 engine so you might be able to drop the engine a bit to make room for the taller fan hub. Or possibly the raptor fan might work. If it worked it'd make for a very inexpensive gasser, the Pantera kit costs like $380.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 09-18-2018 at 06:11 PM..
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lots of companies have tried taking Nitro engines and just swapping in a gas carb and spark plug. One of the first was Super Tiger gas .90 back in the 1990s. OS, Saito, and others have all done it as well.

Most of these conversions fail for a couple key reasons:

1 - They run WAY too hot. The cooling fins sized for alcohol are not nearly large enough to handle the heat load of gas (both due to the lower latent heat of vaporization and the lack of all that excess oil to carry heat out the exhaust)

2 - They are under lubricated. Nitro engines designed for 20% oil use wrist pin bushings and other design elements that fail miserably in a 2% oil gas environment.
, Futaba 18SZ
jharkin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I always wondered if you could fit the GH-56G in a Pantera P6, it has the space for a .90 engine so you might be able to drop the engine a bit to make room for the taller fan hub. Or possibly the raptor fan might work. If it worked it'd make for a very inexpensive gasser, the Pantera kit costs like $380.
I did some testing several years ago with the Pantera (I still have one with a YS91 in it) and one of the 60 size gas engines.

Although John has been pretty successful with making the model flexible with a number of platforms, the fan shroud is molded into the frames. So unless you completely cut it out and improvise your own fan shroud you are stuck with what cylinder head and fan will fit.

the stock fan is designed for glow engines, which in fact if you add enough oil and sport fly them will run with no fan at all due to the cooling of the alcohol fuel and oil. Its not adequate for any of the larger gas engines.

The G56 may work, it didn't exist at the time of my testing. Run it with 18-20% oil if you're going to try

Old 09-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I heard a rumour there was a Version 2 of the GT15 coming out.
If you could get it to fit in the new Synergy 556 it would be a nice combo
Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

there is an R2 of the GT15HZ that will be out later this year, I hope to have one probably next week to show you. It will not fit in the 566 without making new engine mounts, fan shroud, fan, hub, frames

The GT15-600 is available now in its fully updated version which has a very large cooling head however it requires the same parts to be made as its basically a 90 sized engine format

either will bolt directly into the Goblin 570 gas conversion with no modifications
Azalin likes this.

Last edited by carey shurley; 09-19-2018 at 09:22 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.