Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters > Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme

Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme Helicopters Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Raptorapture
  • 1 Post By gadawg58

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2018, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Logo 800

According to Mikado USA, they can still order 800 airframe kits with a 3-4 week lead-time.
Interested in going this route but does anybody know if there will be an update to this bird in the coming year? Or is this my last chance before the 800 goes away all-together?

It would be nice to see a bird of this size but with a simpler parts count and doing away with the torque tube/belt hybrid tail drive and go all belt.
FNFAL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
According to Mikado USA, they can still order 800 airframe kits with a 3-4 week lead-time.
Interested in going this route but does anybody know if there will be an update to this bird in the coming year? Or is this my last chance before the 800 goes away all-together?

It would be nice to see a bird of this size but with a simpler parts count and doing away with the torque tube/belt hybrid tail drive and go all belt.
I have heard no such plans to update the 800. There just isn't enough of a market for them. Most "800's" these days are simply longer boom versions of their 700/750 counterpart. The Logo is a "true 800" meaning 14mm mainshaft, 12mm spindle, main gear the size of a dinner plate, the biggest head block you've ever seen, massive frame, enormous canopy, and if you go with the boom cover it really does look like a 900 in the air. It weighs 14-15 pounds depending on which battery you go with, but you really don't feel it in the air past 1800rpm due to the massive blade / low disk loading. It is certainly a very unique machine.

All that being said, I have no shortage of complaints regarding this machine. The frame comes pre-assembled. I disassembled the entire thing because whomever put it together didn't clean any of the machine oil off the frame bolts - instead they gobbed on loctite and gorilla torqued them on.

Further, the holes for the landing gear supports on my frame were drilled incorrectly by a couple of mm on one side - as a result my frame did not sit anywhere close to level with the landing gear bolted on. I had to file and dremmel the frame and bolt holes to get everything squared up.

Lastly, the frame itself. Its basically two frames sandwiched by a dozen carbon plates and pieces. It can honestly and only be described as a deck of cards. If you ever crashed it, as heavy as this machine is, it would crumble - there would be nothing left IMO. As a result, I land this machine as gently as I can.

Lastly, when I ordered my boom cover, the holes on it were also drilled incorrectly and required a few hours to get just right. It was a long and drawn out build. One, which I will never do again.

But all that being said, the machine certainly flies like you'd expect a logo to fly.......razor sharp and precise. However, you cannot escape the mass/size of this machine in the air. It took about 20 flights before I finally tuned everything the way I wanted. I found you need to basically max out your FBL cyclic and and agility settings to get this thing to feel anything like a 750 and not so lethargic. I also maxed out my gain settings on the YGE governor to keep the motor from bogging and went 16S so I can run reliably at 2000rpm.

The torque tube/belt drive hybrid gearbox is a bit cumbersome. There was a gentleman who converted his to belt drive, but it was a custom job. There are quite a few circumstances where people reported the tail drive gears (front and back) stripping under normal light flying. There are a few tricks you need to employ to keep this from happening, but I won't go into that here. I have 25ish flights on mine so far @2000rpm and have had good success.

There are other 800 options out there to consider, but i'd have to do more research myself before pulling the trigger. The Shape S8 is the only other "true 800" out there that I know of - built from the start as an 800. And its a very high quality machine.

shape ? the ultimate heli experience

Another consideration for me would have to be the HD Cell 800, which is probably THE best designed/built helicopter ever made IMO perhaps even over the Banshee. Everything right down to the hardware is simply artwork and completely overbuilt/robust. If these helicopters are still around in the next few years, i'll probably sell down 70-80% of my fleet and build one of these.

https://www.hd-helicopters.de/

In summary, is the Logo 800 worth it? Yes and no. It depends on how badly you want one. I knew I had to get one after seeing it in the air in person for the first time. I'm glad I have it and thoroughly enjoy flying it. But if I knew what I know now, i'd save my pennies and go for the HD Cell, Shape S8, or if you really have a wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket - the PSG Dynamics Zenyt 800.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2018, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks so much. Your comments have been most helpful. Great overview. Think I'll keep looking. Cheers!
FNFAL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

This heli is so smooth it isn't funny. Prebuilt frame is a good thing as there's just so many pieces of CF. Just don't crash and you'll love this heli.

Frame is pretty sturdy. I've crashed many times and no frame damage. Grips a bit soft so keep blades tight and don't forget to hit TH! The drivetrain is unique and pretty cool once bedded in. I've not had any issues there.

Some say tail needs a bit of alignment. That's been written up. I've not needed to. Rebuilt TT recently. Went together nicely.

It's not a 3D beast but a beautiful big air machine, although i love skimming the grass with it! Going to keep a while longer
DonovanDow likes this.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Truly a unique bird, an experience hard to pass up, still is.
tjmarti is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Can you even still get parts for the 800 Extreme any longer? I don't see them on the Mikado website so I'm assuming support is over or did I just miss it. I have one but been out of the hobby for a few years ... surprised to find the XX gone?

XXtreme 800,XXtreme 700, Goblin 770,Goblin 700, Trex 450 Dominator, Blade 180
gadawg58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 03:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

They are coming out with a new 800. Lighter and at least partially plastic if not full plastic chassis.

Mikado USA has a lot of XXtreme parts still:

https://shop.mikadousa.com/Logo-800-...rts_c_776.html

And you can still get parts from them in Germany:

LOGO 800 XXtreme | LOGO 800 XXTREME | LOGO Helicopters
nismoflip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 07:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I forgot about German site ... looks like they had most of the parts I couldn't find on Mikado USA site. Think I'll get a big parts order together! Love my 800

Thanks!
ah_liang likes this.

XXtreme 800,XXtreme 700, Goblin 770,Goblin 700, Trex 450 Dominator, Blade 180
gadawg58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

FYI: I sent an email to Mikado in Germany yesterday, asking when the new 800 would be available in shops in Europe. Ralf Buxnowitz from Mikado replied today, and I quote, that "the Logo 800 will come in october". That's it. But that's enough for most of us I guess.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is this Heli not popular, seriously lack of pics and videos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in