Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wasfixedwing
  • 1 Post By ridge-runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Replacing Dual ESC

i wanted to know if anyone has successfully replaced the dual esc with 2 single ESC's on their 230s/250cfx and how well if at all, it worked.
Jeeprogue is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have done it for one of my builds and it worked quite well.
Just use two esc with the correct amperage for your application.
Remove the heat shrink from one esc. Solder the battery wires from the second esc to the battery wires of the first esc. Rewrap the first esc with
some protection. Lightly secure the two esc together. Choose one of the three wire leads and plug it into the throttle port on the RX. Remove the positive and negative wires from the other lead, or just cut them. Make sure they can't short together and tape them back against the lead. Now plug the sensor lead into the rudder channel. Hookup the three wires from the first esc to the main motor and the other three wires to the tail rotor. If the motors turn in the wrong direction, pick any two wires and swap positions and the motor will run in the correct direction. Establish high throttle and low throttle and you should be good to go.
Flyguytruckguy likes this.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 1230S V2 ESC is running BLHeli

Why replace the ESC? The one on the 230S-V2 is a pretty good one and is running BLHeli firmware. (Not sure about the V1 but it may also be running BLHeli.) Connect it to a computer and you can turn on the governor and beacon functions. Here is a screenshot of how I have mine set up:

ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the ESC fails would this be a cheaper option?
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge-runner View Post
Why replace the ESC? The one on the 230S-V2 is a pretty good one and is running BLHeli firmware. (Not sure about the V1 but it may also be running BLHeli.) Connect it to a computer and you can turn on the governor and beacon functions. Here is a screenshot of how I have mine set up:
Wait wait wait. You're saying I can have a governor on my 230 S V2 using stock parts? You're saying this BLHeli thingy is magical and will make me happy? I need to look into this.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge-runner View Post

Which two of the four receiver wires coming out of the ESC did you use to connect to your Uno?
Old 01-28-2019, 04:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
Which two of the four receiver wires coming out of the ESC did you use to connect to your Uno?
The four wires coming out of the ESC go to two standard servo connectors:
  1. The first has three wires (Vcc, Gnd, signal) and is connected to the Rx channel 1 (Main motorThrottle).
  2. The second has only the signal wire connected to the Rx channel 4 (rudder).
All ESCs flashed with recent BLHeli versions include a bootloader that allows BLHeliSuite to talk to the ESC using the standard servo signal wire (AKA "Bootloader Mode"). Older versions required soldering separate wires to the ESC to connect using the "C2" interface (and this is required for flashing the K110 ESCs). The Blade 230S V2 ESC has a recent version (14.4) of BLHeli installed so you can simply connect the THR servo output from the ESC to the UNO (and no soldering is required).

I only modified the main moter ESC and did not change the tail ESC, thus, I only used the channel 1 THR cable coming from the ESC.

Once again, you need to read the documentation that is included with the BLHeliSuite software. I've attached a couple of the relevant PDFs to this post.

BLHeli programming adapters.pdf - This describes all the various adapters that can be used to connect the BLHeliSuite software on a PC to the ESC. The part you want to look at is the: "Arduinos as 4w-if (in BLHeli bootloader mode):" on page 16.

BLHeliSuite 4w-if interfaces pinout.pdf - This shows how to connect the wires from the ESC to the Arduino device.

Note that there are two hardware families of MCUs supported by BLHeli: SiLabs and Atmel. The 230S V2 (and XK helis) both use the SiLabs family.

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BLHeli programming adapters.pdf (768.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf BLHeliSuite 4w-if interfaces pinout.pdf (55.5 KB, 20 views)
Thomas.Heiss likes this.
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So you’re saying I should read the manual !?!?

</sar >

Thank you! Was able to connect. Was using the wrong pin on my Duemilanove.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello @ridge-runner

Very useful information. Thanks for sharing!

Does the 230s V2 ESC use the "damped mode" on the BLHeli tail ESC?
Is it activated by default?
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...Blade 200QX BL Quad...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D Mustang...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in