Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 180CFX

180CFX Blade 180CFX Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Number
  • 2 Post By FR4-Pilot
  • 1 Post By JonJet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Let's list how you solved 180 CFX tail wag issue

Recently I bought used 180 cfx (IKON installed) from here and owner mentioned that it had tail wag issue. First of all I didn't have any idea what was up with it.

I re-programmed IKON and checked tail servo (DS76T), the tail wag still was there. I tested the tail servo and knew it was working properly. Finally, shortened tail servo horn, and did test flight. It flew just it should have been. The tail wag was completely gone.

So I decided to write little note here that if someone has tail shake or wag issue with IKON on 180 cfx, please keep in your mind that IKON likes shorter tail servo horn. It solved violent tail wag on my 180CFX
mytdbm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Solved it by getting an Oxy2, lol
Indokast and Flyguytruckguy like this.
https://kc3dprint.com - 3D Printing on Demand and Printed RC Helicopter Upgrades
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive never had one so bad it bothered me, i guess after years of flying MCPX;s i was used to a little wag. mine normally doesn't stay still long enough for one to notice the wag.
just picked up a used one off here and the guy got the lynx stretch kit but so far only installed the longer boom and TT i guess. said its flyable but will come with stock tail boom and the longer blades i keep meaning to look up the kit before it comes i have no clue about it but he said he made it longer so the wag would go away. not sure it helped or not.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've read that ikons don't like the 180s torque tube. The only experience I have with my trio is with the Lynx belt upgrade. Even with the belt I had wag with ikon 1 but since upgrading to the 2 simply for the integration I was pleasantly surprised at how it improved flight. I have tail gain at, like 30 where it used to be at 10..and still had some wag. With the ikon2 my 180 trio flies more like my oxy 2. Also moved up to castle talon 25 but don't know how much that matters.
Tech 4 9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

This would be a neat all-heli thread rather than just 180 CFX. Loads of good info for others to look through.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
Ive never had one so bad it bothered me, i guess after years of flying MCPX;s i was used to a little wag. mine normally doesn't stay still long enough for one to notice the wag.
just picked up a used one off here and the guy got the lynx stretch kit but so far only installed the longer boom and TT i guess. said its flyable but will come with stock tail boom and the longer blades i keep meaning to look up the kit before it comes i have no clue about it but he said he made it longer so the wag would go away. not sure it helped or not.
Using the stretch boom will greatly improve tail authority IF you stay with the stock main blades...

Using the stretch blades You will probably need to swap to the 9T pinion (included in the kit) to help the motor

Every 180CFX I owned that had any type of tail issue got the stretch kit...and that was all but a couple before I sold most of the 3 dozen or so I had across My work bench

I've done a stretch on most every Blade heli...nCPX - mCPX - mCPXBL - 130X - 180CFX - 450X in nearly every configuration You can imagine...(even the 120SR years ago)

Most with amazing results compared to the stock versions
Old 01-22-2019, 05:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
Solved it by getting an Oxy2, lol
My wife is buggin' me, I'm going outside to ...... AMA #1037635
joyd69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the stock pitch control arm ... Make sure the brass sleeve and insert aren't stuck together. If stuck, the added friction makes the tail servo overdrive which also causes wagging.

The ones on the left are good The ones on the right are stuck together (bad) and won't come apart.

My heli wagged until I fixed this.
mytdbm and tony#1 like this.

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 01-22-2019 at 08:35 AM..
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
Using the stretch boom will greatly improve tail authority IF you stay with the stock main blades...

Using the stretch blades You will probably need to swap to the 9T pinion (included in the kit) to help the motor

Every 180CFX I owned that had any type of tail issue got the stretch kit...and that was all but a couple before I sold most of the 3 dozen or so I had across My work bench

I've done a stretch on most every Blade heli...nCPX - mCPX - mCPXBL - 130X - 180CFX - 450X in nearly every configuration You can imagine...(even the 120SR years ago)

Most with amazing results compared to the stock versions

Thanks for the input. i have extended all my MPCX's normal and Bl, nano never did my 130x, didnt have it long. the 180 cfx and trio i had never needed anything.
I had planed to get the full fuse for my next 180 but i guess it won't fit with the stretch boom unless someone makes one for it.
he said the pinion and everything that came with the kit is included. so with the pinion change and bigger blades they fly well or leaving stock pinion and blades flys best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
On the stock pitch control arm ... Make sure the brass sleeve and insert aren't stuck together. If stuck, the added friction makes the tail servo overdrive which also causes wagging.

The ones on the left are good The ones on the right are stuck together (bad) and won't come apart.

Very good info, I want to get the aluminum tail case for this one, not sure you can use the plastic one on the aluminum one i kinda wanted to get the aluminum slider also.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
Thanks for the input. i have extended all my MPCX's normal and Bl, nano never did my 130x, didnt have it long. the 180 cfx and trio i had never needed anything.
I had planed to get the full fuse for my next 180 but i guess it won't fit with the stretch boom unless someone makes one for it.
he said the pinion and everything that came with the kit is included. so with the pinion change and bigger blades they fly well or leaving stock pinion and blades flys best?

I would guess that the stretch kit with fuse might tax the stock motor...
I never tried the pinion swap because the tail authority was so amazing after I went back to the stock blades
Most of the 180's I sold went with the longer blades and a suggestion to try the stock
Epoweredrc likes this.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default tail wag

I have purchased my second used 180cfx. .But this one had a terrible tail wag--fast and about 45 degree sweep.
The whole tail mechanism felt stiff.

I freed up the control rod and oiled it -- no change

I serviced the Al tail box and shaft -- no change
I service the Al bellcrank -- no change . I thought about buying a plastic one because the bushing is loose.

I changed the PIDs radically up and down -- no change
I changed gyro settings radically in my TX -- no change

Then I noticed the servo arm wasn't centered when I first power up. Centered the arm--BIG CHANGE-- steady tail. Go flying even at 1 or 2 degrees (C) today. .
Old 04-29-2019, 05:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post

Thanks for the information and the great images, FR4-Pilot. How did you manage to spot this issue?
tony#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony#1 View Post
Thanks for the information and the great images, FR4-Pilot. How did you manage to spot this issue?
I was just making sure that the tail pitch slider's movement was 'buttery smooth', but it wasn't. Started digging in and found the control arm wasn't moving smoothly. It was when I assembled the heli, so something must have changed over dozens of flights ... the brass parts somehow became stuck together.
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in