Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great point made above. I wouldnít go fixed pitch at this point. Itís more like a toy for you for basement flying. I highly recommend getting back on the sim again. Itís better to spend on that rather than on the 70S and get a 230S to fly on. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liduno View Post
I think with your experience you're beyond the 70. On the other hand it is super cheap.

Flying fixed pitch is good for learning orientation, but I would assume you already have that from the drone and the coax.

If you absolutely refuse to get a sim, I would recommend something like the MCPS, it has stability mode too, but don't use it too long, it will hamper your learning curve. If you fly over grass and hit the throttle hold before it hits the ground, you can usually just pick it up and keep flying.

If you're positive your going to get a 230s or bigger in the future, just get a dx6 or better radio. Don't even mess with the RTF radios.

In the end, my advice is worth what you paid for it..lol No hard feelings if you completely ignore it
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
Great point made above. I wouldnít go fixed pitch at this point. Itís more like a toy for you for basement flying. I highly recommend getting back on the sim again. Itís better to spend on that rather than on the 70S and get a 230S to fly on. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My problem with sims is I just cant do it. I need an actual heli in front of me. I tried many times and it was just to hard to focus for me. I still have time to decide what I want to do, but nothing wrong with a toy to kill time during a pretty bad winter (I do driveways, haven't had much snow here this year)
Old 01-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

While I agree that sims are helpful, I rarely sit down with one these days. At the beginning I did some for a month or so, but itís too boring.

I started with a xk k110 rtf which I feel was a good move. A 230 wouldnít have worked well with how I needed time for my brain to handle orientations and two sticks, but thatís just me. More power to other folks that progress faster. The k110 is super cheap to repair and crashes like a baus.

If money isnít an issue, Iíd at least go for a Dx8g2 or dx8e to have the flexibility for a 230 or larger. I have the rtf dxe and itís a decent start, it Iíll likely use it for buddy box or sim.

Iíd try to steer away from the small rtfís with crap txís that only work for that heli. Itís a shame they didnít let the new 70 be a bnf as well.

With that said, it sounds like you have more experience than I did when starting out, so the slower approach might not be needed. Iíd still take it slow with a 230. Despite being a good [lower powered] trainer, it can still move fast and pack a wallop.
HateTheDrake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypizano View Post
My problem with sims is I just cant do it. I need an actual heli in front of me. I tried many times and it was just to hard to focus for me. I still have time to decide what I want to do, but nothing wrong with a toy to kill time during a pretty bad winter (I do driveways, haven't had much snow here this year)
The MCPS is like a real life sim..lol It crashes much better than a 230s too, and you will crash A LOT while learning.

It's also small enough that you can probably use it indoors with stability mode, as long as you have a decent size room. Some really talented experienced guys can do some crazy 3d indoors with a MCPS, but that's a whole other deal.

Another plus to the MCPS is it's pretty good outside, especially on a calm day. The 70, if I had to guess, is probably pretty limited outdoors with even the slightest breeze. But yes, it will probably be fine in the living room. Like I mentioned though, flying in stability mode or flying a fixed pitch heli for too long can hamper your ability to fly collective pitch.

IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED WITH DENTAL FLOSS, THEN IT CAN'T BE FIXED..LOL
Liduno is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 07:47 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nano CPX or CPS will learn ya real quick.
Will sharpen your reflexes real quick.
Will be fixable even better when and if you do break it.

Flying one will make the 230 boring too

Seriously, the sim is the place to start. Practice the hovering.
Then jump into the CPX or CPS and or the MCPS like Liduno recommends.

Once you fly them for a month or 2 you'll wonder why anyone would ever need the safe mode on the 230.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am in a similar boat getting back in after a many year hiatus. I just received my XK110 today and after one pack can tell you this thing will be great to learn on and is defiantly a handful.

Its widely recommended here as a practice heli for its durability and it seems to pack a bunch of performance as i was shocked how much power this thing has.
photocycler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I will be picking up a Blade Nano CP S this weekend.
HateTheDrake and 6spowahhh like this.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had the opposite experience with the little helis. I had a XK110, and currently own a CPS and Trex 150. I can't get either one to fly right after small crashes. 230s on the other hand is super easy for me to work on and most crashes cost less than $10.00 unless you bust the main blades.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

If no one else said it, rchelicopterfun.com is a great place to learn all about flying RC helicopters.
darren.ankney@gmail.com is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypizano View Post
How bad is the RTF radio? I was thinking of getting the RTF one to start out, then getting a Dx8 later on?
I actually really like the DXe, which is the Tx that comes with the 230s RTF. It's actually a 9 channel transmitter too, though I've never attempted to use more than 7 channels with it. It's so nice in fact that I use it to fly my Align 470LT as well. Programming it requires an OTG cable and a programming cable, but I don't mind that at all. It also works with most sims through the trainer port on the back.
The downsides to it though are:
-no model memory. need to plug it into your phone anytime you want to use a different model, and then re-bind to that model
-no screen (not terrible though, because the layout in the mobile app is better than the screens of most Tx's under $1k)
-no timer alarm.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also to add, the 230s is the most recommended first heli over all other heli's. And for good reason. It was also my first heli, long before I ever even attempted to use a sim, and I'm very glad it was my first heli. It did everything I wanted it to do and then some. I've been flying a few years now, and I still love taking the 230 out almost as often as my 470.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:48 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
... It also works with most sims through the trainer port on the back....

You can go wireless with it now as well with the Spektrum WS1000 which should work with any current Spektrum radio. Thats what I'm using with AccuRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
Also to add, the 230s is the most recommended first heli over all other heli's. And for good reason. It was also my first heli, long before I ever even attempted to use a sim, and I'm very glad it was my first heli. It did everything I wanted it to do and then some. I've been flying a few years now, and I still love taking the 230 out almost as often as my 470.

Its going to be my first Heli (well - not really - i have a blade Scout CX and I did have a Blade MSR S until the board went bad from too much crashing - But I don't figure that those count ).
darren.ankney@gmail.com is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I wrote to Darren in the 360CFX thread https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=7738765 might also apply to the 230s in some parts.

Do you have a good friend or local HH dealer in helping you to setup the FBL, do the mechanical CP setup and program your transmitter?

Just to let you know:

I got my XK K110 (CP, BL, 60g, 450-540mah or 600mah lipo) and received the Robbe external S-FHSS module for my Devo10 two days ago.

Today I made my 3 real maiden flights and the 1-2 hovering lipos from yesterday (indoor + outdoor) were not going that great.
It was a tough fight against the wind with the 60g

Even I know this CP stuff (4503D flybar, CCPM mixing TX setup, V120d02s, Tarot ZYX, mechnical adjustments, etc.) I am only one foot away in throwing this CP heli (K110) into the corner for the next weeks or returning it.

Why?

Because I am redoing the mechanical and electronical setup over and over again and I have invested at least 1,5 days in the heli + more in the TX programming.

- The manual obviously gives me wrong informations about the correct 6G vs 3G gyro values and I did the whole setup wrong becvause of this.

- the 6G (stability) trim mode is giving me just crap hovering with toilet bowl effect

- after the 6G trim mode flight the 6G forward flight is very much tilted forward (ELEV) and I had to switch off my DualRates to fight with "ELEV pull" against the stabi

- 3G mode in forward flight was very quick and I had to use higher stunt throttle values and increase my negative pitch to be able to really try three lipos in the today wind conditions

- doing the FBL setup and TX programming again showed me how complicated it really is, what you can do wrong or what problems you might run into (e.g toilet bowl, servo horn adjustments, linkage length, uneven swashplate; now that almost everything was done - probably the wrong way 6G vs 3G mode because of the new board version - the fixed linkage to the head gives me a bad blade tracking; and I haver no idea how to weight blades with ~1,8-1,9mm (M2) holes as I have no equipment here).

- after doing the servo horn 90 degree stuff I made sure that all three links have the same length by taking them off, measuring and adjusting them and putting them back on (probably in the "wrong" mode according to the manual)

- when I got my swashplate level tool ready I just wanted to verify and surprise: the right ail (PIT, looking from behind) was not level even it had the same linkage length as the other roll servo as both servo horns looks quite equal (could be the "wrong" setup mode, dunno)

If I had been a real (CP) beginner neither the maiden flights would have been recoverable (try to catch a heli which does everything wrong in hovering) nor would I have had the balls to toss it around in the 3G mode and avoid all crashes (the mode which should have been the 6G mode).

Actually the swashplate separated when the K110 run into the chair in simple indoor hover mode on the 2nd lipo (so hard it was to control in hovering out of the box).

I do not think that a MSRs will make you ready for the above list where I am losing a bit my nerves) and get you started with a 360CFX (no matter what of the three versions) or lets say a 230s.

You still have not any clue about the CP setup, throttle-/pitch curves and how to fly a (micro) CP heli with constant throttle in the stunt mode.
I am also not sure if you are trained to use the throttle cut / hold switch instead of the typical FP thing to push down the throttle stick to -100 (I had the 120SR and did it all wrong, even in a crash situation with my 4503D!!).

Please don't take a BNF/RTF heli like the 360CFX or 230s and think that it works out of the box (it is not called "bind and fly" in reality!).
Even the Blade NanoCPX was very off in the settings (no mid pitch, no zero pitch, wrong max/min pitch values, etc.) when I took it out from the box; I learned quite some stuff setting it up.

I do really think that this is quite confusing for a beginner and you need external help or you need to be really really patient.

A flybarless fixed-pitch heli is of course better than a FP with a 45 degree mechnical fake flybar ("Stabistange"), but it surely is not a K110, NanoCPX or NanoCPS or any NineEagles / Walkera FBL CP helicopter.

But IMHO you are still missing the "next step" in your heli career ladder.

It is your own decision what next step you want to take, how much you have trained on a SIM, if you want to go for a micro CP heli, get the 230S or try your luck with a 450/360-380 CP model.

If you want to do it:
- seek for some help
- get someone trusty to fly your heli first (maiden flight)
- make your first steps with L/S (teacher / pupil transmitter cable or wireless setup; taking over control per single function step-by-step)
- bring plenty of time with you and some good nerves to get started with the CP heli basics and transmitter setup (dial in, tuning, taming down, etc.).

It is not simply enough to type the HH manual numbers into your transmitter...you need to understand them too! :-)

Some positive / negative examples:
- I could "hover" my 4503D, that is keeping it in the air with my previous 120SR + many hours SIM training, without crashing it (basically the heli flew me, not the other way round; it took the whole green field to "hover" it; a "real hover" on a fixed spot / smaller area from a good heli pilot is something very different!)
- I crashed the 4503D in the 3rd curve which I tried to fly without any previous micro CP heli experience (SIM is better than nothing, but has its limitations for a true beginner)
- a friend of mine took the Coax -> MSR (FP) -> MSRx (FP FBL) -> MCPX -> 450X ladder and was successful in doing so
- I finally could fly my 4503D incl. curves after several months of NanoCPX (CP) training
- I think I could have easily stepped over the 120SR (FP but not FBL) - because of the Reflex XTR SIM training - and should have taken something like Mcpx, Walkera or V977/K110.

Good luck!

With best regards
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...Blade 200QX BL Quad...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D Mustang...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss; 03-25-2019 at 08:24 AM..
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in