Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Goblin 280

Goblin 280 SAB Heli Division - Goblin 280 Helicopters

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Sganzerla View Post
I own a Fireball that is running a Brain2 and the OEM recommended SAB tail servo. Previously I had a kst tail servo in it with an Ikon v2 and that was a bit easier to tune than the current setup.

If you want, shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a picture of my gains.

My Fireball's tail was not easy to tune but in the end I got it to the point where I am very happy with its behavior. It's not perfect, but certainly close enough.

One thing I would suggest is to turn off your governor to see if that makes the tail any easier to tune. If so, then I would suggest turning down the P gain on the governor and/or getting rid of the drivetrain lash between main motor and main rotor.

-Gus.
One of the first things I tried was turning off the governor. No change.
I'm using a BK servo, not sure of the number right now, and mini ikon2.
I haven't worked on the drivetrain lash.
I will pm you my email, thanks.

BTY, I enjoy reading your flight logs!
bclark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for checking out the flight logs. I'm having fun writing them; but it's even more fun knowing people are enjoying the entries.

I never flew my Fireball with the drivetrain lash present, so I don't know if that lash hinders tail performance. But I thought it might so I got rid of it by folding a small piece of 3m double-sided tape over the flat wedge on the end of the motor's axle and then sticking the axle and 3m tape into the slot in the main shaft coupler. It's an easy and simple procedure.

Picture of my Fireball tail gains is in your email inbox.

Regards,
-Gus.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:00 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Sganzerla View Post
Thanks for checking out the flight logs. I'm having fun writing them; but it's even more fun knowing people are enjoying the entries.

I never flew my Fireball with the drivetrain lash present, so I don't know if that lash hinders tail performance. But I thought it might so I got rid of it by folding a small piece of 3m double-sided tape over the flat wedge on the end of the motor's axle and then sticking the axle and 3m tape into the slot in the main shaft coupler. It's an easy and simple procedure.

Picture of my Fireball tail gains is in your email inbox.

Regards,
-Gus.
Thanks Gus. Got it. I will try that next.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

bclark,

I'm very interested in your posts as I have the same issues with my mini comet. I am using a BK Servo as well as a mini Ikon2.

I will try all these suggestions as well to see if I can get mine to go away. Please share any solutions you find as well in this thread.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I have tried Gus' tail gains and nothing changed at all. As far as I know I have tried everything suggested except the tail servo. It is on the shelf for now, got to take a break from it. Looks like I'm not going to accomplish what I wanted to do with it.
I wanted to get the headspeed down to keep it calm and practice with it in my yard. Not sure I'm going to get there.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Out of curiosity, I'm using a DS-3005HV on the tail. Which servo are you using?
Old 05-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail servo is a BK. Can't find the number right now. It was a set/combo from Anything Heli. Will see if I can find my info later.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:16 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark View Post
The tail servo is a BK. Can't find the number right now. It was a set/combo from Anything Heli. Will see if I can find my info later.
The BK is a 3005 servo
JimJW is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm... I wonder if our issue really is the servo? It's curious that we are both having the same exact problem with the same exact setup. I have checked vibration logs, upgraded tail parts, disassembled and re-assembled the tail… all to no avail.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:00 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

I may let someone else try a servo. It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to use the Fireball for what I wanted to anyway.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

So....

Same setup:

Brain 2, Fireball Comp, BK 3005HV...Same Result.

I've used Brain 2 on 4 different helis at this point, all successful (one was an Oxy 3 Tareq).

Not only is my tail wagging like crazy even with 15 gain, but I have major cyclic oscillations even with a main cyclic gain of about 15...This is really puzzling me.
HammerFest93 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

I should point out that I am flying a mini comet. I will eventually replace the servo and report back if that helps.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by echopoint View Post
I should point out that I am flying a mini comet. I will eventually replace the servo and report back if that helps.
What servo are you going to try?
Old 05-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure. I usually fly only BK servos. Whatever I can get that's not too expensive.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Geeze Louise

I have a Fireball 280 kit as well. It is my first flybarless. I have the same tail wag issue right out of the box. I have tried all the painful suggestions to no avail. Plus, after reading all this and doing all these things, I want to throw it in the trash can and forget about it. I think I'll keep the iKON2 for something else. So much for Goblin quality control for me. You'd think a $500 kit would come pretty setup and with some quality control. I'll buy a used one that flies like it suppose to. That's $500 down the toilet. Good Grief says Charlie Brown.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I have mine up for sale. I guess that's why I have no bites!
dgrubb001 likes this.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good luck. Somebody will buy it for parts. However, don't keep trying to fly it. The tail wag will eventually jerk the threaded control rod out of the tail control rod and it's a .02 cents worth piece of garbage and not strong enough to handle anything severe. Then, you have no tail at all. Hind sight is always 20/20.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:32 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a used fireball and it did have a wag. For me at least, I found there was side to side play on the rear pulley, I have another parts 280 that was also used and yet to fly it but this one had no play. Not sure if the one I have currently flying has anything to do with assembly from previous owner but once I shimmed it up and got rid of the play the wag is pretty much gone. I intend to rebuild it soon with new parts. Its a shame about the wag people have, I love how this heli flies and I will be getting another one and will more than likely get my parts fireball flying as well.
I also made sure the rear servo linkage rod was not too tight on the ball links as well as adding a little grease on the links.

I would like to be able to get the fireballs flying great without wag and share my fixes, tips and tricks as I think these are great little helis. Over time hopefully I can build some knowledge with testing and help others with their problems.
Krea likes this.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrubb001 View Post
Good luck. Somebody will buy it for parts. However, don't keep trying to fly it. The tail wag will eventually jerk the threaded control rod out of the tail control rod and it's a .02 cents worth piece of garbage and not strong enough to handle anything severe. Then, you have no tail at all. Hind sight is always 20/20.
In defense of SAB’s design; I think the tail is strong enough. A typical servo can push about 8-9 lb. the rod will buckle before you break pull the threads out of the carbon pushrod. (A little math will show the strength to be greater than 85 lb) I tested mine with a scale up to 10 lb.
JimJW is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have ordered a SAB tail servo to replace my BK servo. I will see if that helps the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in