Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade 400 - 23 flights and counting!

Can't be many of you B400 die-hards frequenting this part of the forum anymore, but I'm most definitely one of you now and would like to share my first real CP adventure with you.

Finally got the helicopter properly set up with decent pitch and throttle curves and hoping all I need to do now is maintenance, sim-practice and fly!

So here's about where I'm currently at, my mate didn't video the whole flight so you don't get to see my stall turns or loops, but he did catch my second attempt at inverted. That thing doesn't half move quick when you want it to!

I think I just need to tidy up precision of manoeuvres; keeping level altitude in turns and during transition to/from FFF. After that, I think I'll play a little with inverted hovers before tackling FFF backward flight.

Already tried come backwards stuff on the sim and I just cannot do it, talk about uncoordinated!
It'll just take time though! More sim time!

Blade 400 3D Helicopter 21st Flight - Inverted Hover! (2 min 11 sec)
Beserkr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a great old heli . I had seven but decided to retire two for more parts. I have enough to last my lifetime.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

How's the hand coming along BD? Hope you're gonna be back on the sticks again soon.

One question I have for you... How do you lubricate the motor bearings?

Mine is obviously second hand and no idea how many flights it's been through, or how well it's been looked after. Add in the numerous reports of bearing failure and I'm starting to worry.

Thing is, I have no idea how to do it. I took my spare motor off another airframe I have and tried to disassemble it. Damn the mounting block screws were in tight, so tight i stripped the head of one of the screws. I did manage to loosen it however, but the block was still solid. I can reach in with a needle to oil the top bearing, but the bottom one still remains elusive.

How often do you lube them, and what with? Getting at that bottom bearing is such a ballache I'd rather not have to strip the thing down every ten flights which some people say they do (or did ten years ago!).
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjxIBBszfXNcHtNCM7dbELg
Old 08-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hand is better. Thumb still hurts but I can fly . Thanks for asking.

I just spray mine with this stuff every now and then. It gets in everywhere and doesn't attract dirt and grim. It's a Teflon based dry lubricant. I use it on just about everything and haven't had any issues. My old 230S V1 got well over 1000 flight before I decided to replace the main motor due to bearing wear. It's tail motor is still going. For motors I spray it through the holes and spin it a few times.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad to hear it! I've damaged ligaments and snapped tendons so I know how bad such an injury can be.

That Teflon spray certainly sounds easy to use! Do you just spray the inside of the motor with it? Is there no worry of fire with lube (even the Teflon) sprayed all over the insides of an electric motor?
Perhaps I'm overly anxious, I still have memories as a kid having a 1/10 traxxas truck with the old resistive speed controller...sprayed the controller with WD40 to make it waterproof.
Set on fire instead 😂

I'd also question whether it would penetrate enough when used like that, but I guess your experience says otherwise!
Old 08-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup just spray it inside the motors through the holes. Never had anything bad happen yet. It does leave kind of a white film on things so if that bothers you just wipe it off. It's a thin liquid until it dries.

I use it on all the moving parts of my helis and it's been great so far. It will even make the gimbals of your radio silky smooth.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome thank you!

Just ordered the UK version (WD40 brand, but still PTFE dry lube).

And also another B400 for parts, and as it comes with a nice aluminium hard case. And because I'm addicted 😂

Gonna have to stop spending on this thing and start putting some away for next year's heli, whatever that may be!
Old 08-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's definitely time to start thinking about another heli. I want to see that list start growing in your signature line.

The things I don't use the spray on are brushed motors and open linear servos that have the carbon track.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
It's definitely time to start thinking about another heli. I want to see that list start growing in your signature line.

The things I don't use the spray on are brushed motors and open linear servos that have the carbon track.
Believe me, I'd love to start expanding my fleet, but I think the missus would lynch me after putting so much in the the B400. Need to be patient and wait a while. Besides, I think I'd like a newer kit and a slightly bigger bird. This would likely mean 6S etc. so quite a bit of money to splash out....

Plenty to get out of and learn on the B400, so happy to stick with her for now. May ask the missus for a Nano or something for Xmas to help me get through the winter...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in