Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy76 View Post
Just spoke with my dealer and he's got my back, (HeliHangar.ca - been great to deal with), so once I get new carbon sides for the tail, I may re-evaluate my comment about design and stand down. I'm hoping that's the case.
What was wrong with the plates? Can you post pictures?
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 02:46 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCA View Post
What was wrong with the plates? Can you post pictures?
Well, I'm not too proud to admit when I'm wrong. Took the tail apart today and placed the 2 carbon sides against each other and slid the tail shaft through to make sure the bearings were properly aligned.

I found that I was definitely correct. All the bolt holes were grossly mal-aligned by a 2-3mm!

Then it occurred to me that I should flip the small side over and check again. And then I felt stupid. All the bolt holes aligned perfectly so I immediately reached for the manual and realized that while I thought I had followed the directions, I must have inadvertently flipped the small piece over when fastening the aluminum lever holder to it. This resulted in that piece getting installed incorrectly and I've since learned, this matters!!

For a guy who's job is 95% critical thinking and problem solving, this was a tough moment for me, lol.

I rebuilt the tail properly and everything aligns perfectly. Only issue I had was that the distance between carbon sides across the belt tensioner support was too close. The kit came with 3 shims in the tail bag so those got thrown onto the tail shaft (2 on the fin side, 1 on the rotor side) and that allowed for perfect spacing at each of the 6 points of fastening.

I called my dealer and called off the replacement tail plates and am officially finished the building portion.

Awaiting my motor and tail servo, and will then get it wired up, set up and maidened.

Thanks for the help along the way guys.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

ryguy76 likes this.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Then it occurred to me that I should flip the small side over and check again. And then I felt stupid. All the bolt holes aligned perfectly so I immediately reached for the manual and realized that while I thought I had followed the directions, I must have inadvertently flipped the small piece over when fastening the aluminum lever holder to it. This resulted in that piece getting installed incorrectly and I've since learned, this matters!!
Glad you found the issue. You will also notice that by flipping the small side over that the bearing flange is now on the inside as it should be. This ensures that the bearings are captive and can't pop out of the side plates like they could if the flanges were on the outside. Small things like this are easy to overlook, especially with Mikado's exploded-view style manuals that are very sparse on instruction.
ryguy76 likes this.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Glad you found the issue. You will also notice that by flipping the small side over that the bearing flange is now on the inside as it should be. This ensures that the bearings are captive and can't pop out of the side plates like they could if the flanges were on the outside. Small things like this are easy to overlook, especially with Mikado's exploded-view style manuals that are very sparse on instruction.

Yep, exactly. Makes perfect sense in hindsight and still bothered that I didnít pick up on that detail, but whatevs. Itís good now.

Youíre not wrong about this style of manual being easy to overlook, lol, but lesson learned Mikado! I officially rescind my comment about poor tail case design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ryguy76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Happens to all of us.

Changed out a main shaft on my logo 690 the other day. In bed later that night I was thinking how I never remembered tightening the two head clamp bolts. Flew at 2k rpm that day- something I never do. Got lucky. No issues. Duh.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I officially rescind my comment about poor tail case design.
I've come to admire it. It is a bit fiddly, but it is very light.

The 480 tail case is actually a little easier to assemble than the larger models. On the 480, you can assemble the whole tail case without any tension on the belt, taking your time to get everything square. You then pull the boom back to get the proper belt tension.

On the 550, the boom is slotted in the front so you need to pull back on the tail case to get the proper belt tension while you tighten the tail case bolts. Once you get the bolts semi tight you will invariably find that either the belt tension is wrong or the vertical fin is not quite vertical. It often takes me several tries to get everything right.

On the 690, it is a little easier because the boom can rotate. You still need to tighten the tail case bolts while getting the proper belt tension. However, a slight misalignment of the vertical fin from vertical can be corrected by rotating the boom.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog View Post
Happens to all of us.

Changed out a main shaft on my logo 690 the other day. In bed later that night I was thinking how I never remembered tightening the two head clamp bolts. Flew at 2k rpm that day- something I never do. Got lucky. No issues. Duh.
It's a wonder you didn't shear that small Jesus bolt!
Old 03-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Happens to all of us.

True dat.

Nice to know others think about helis as they doze off too. Sometimes my sleeps suffer from not being able to shut off my brain. I just sit and spin, or fall asleep and have weird heli dreams.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I've come to admire it. It is a bit fiddly, but it is very light.

The 480 tail case is actually a little easier to assemble than the larger models. On the 480, you can assemble the whole tail case without any tension on the belt, taking your time to get everything square. You then pull the boom back to get the proper belt tension.

On the 550, the boom is slotted in the front so you need to pull back on the tail case to get the proper belt tension while you tighten the tail case bolts. Once you get the bolts semi tight you will invariably find that either the belt tension is wrong or the vertical fin is not quite vertical. It often takes me several tries to get everything right.

On the 690, it is a little easier because the boom can rotate. You still need to tighten the tail case bolts while getting the proper belt tension. However, a slight misalignment of the vertical fin from vertical can be corrected by rotating the boom.

Ya, itís much better when it all lines up! I was thinking that if it takes this much messing with to get squared up, then I ainít never going to want to mess with it. Was pretty painless after sorting out the alignment.

I had already loctited to boom at the frame so was applying belt tension from the tail case. As you described, definitely not as easy and I had to correct for tail fun straightness a couple times all while keeping tension. I was in a better head space so kept calm knowing I solved my main issue. It got done even though I knew I was going about it the least easiest way.

Tell me, I have crappy digital callipers that the battery died on so was in the ball park of the 22.3mm the manual recommends, but no way of knowing for sure based on the callipers lack of resolution. What I did was set the distance based off of the underneath metal cross support (which looked to be in that roughly 22mm and change on the callipers). Once I locked that spread, I just made sure the other 5 bolts were fastened up enough to make the distance the same all around. Anybody else use that method?

Old 03-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Tell me, I have crappy digital callipers that the battery died on so was in the ball park of the 22.3mm the manual recommends, but no way of knowing for sure based on the callipers lack of resolution. What I did was set the distance based off of the underneath metal cross support (which looked to be in that roughly 22mm and change on the callipers). Once I locked that spread, I just made sure the other 5 bolts were fastened up enough to make the distance the same all around. Anybody else use that method?
Yep,I do the same. As long as the tail case can't move and is square, you're good.

I also use these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AQEZ2W/

They work great, but I do remove the battery after every use otherwise it drains it in storage.
ryguy76 likes this.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I do is throw in my battery, loosen the cage then let it hang with the weight of the heli. Then align/tighten the bolts. Once you do it a few times its easy.
ryguy76 likes this.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I made a spacer the correct width and move it around to each bolt I am tightening until it just fits snugly into each position. This ensures the tail box is nice and parallel and no excess tension on tail bearings. Makes a nice smooth tail.Your use of the spacer to set your calipers will make sure the box is parallel also.
ryguy76 likes this.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the tips, fellas.

Now that itís built, Iím getting real excited to get this in the air!

Old 03-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, fellas.

Now that itís built, Iím getting real excited to get this in the air!

For me it made the true size 500mm blade helis obsolete. The logo is way lighter, easier on batteries and has amazing presence and visibility in the air.

I can fly for much longer than on my other 500s.

In fact I've sold all of my 500 helis except for one and it's going too. I just don't see the point. To me the 500 true size just doesn't make sense. Heavier, harder on packs and no better visibility. So what's the point? I've come to think it's marketing/sales size more than practicality size. 550 is the better next logical step. Truly 570 is better yet and can start using 12s packs for overall better performance /flight time.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
For me it made the true size 500mm blade helis obsolete. The logo is way lighter, easier on batteries and has amazing presence and visibility in the air.

I can fly for much longer than on my other 500s.

In fact I've sold all of my 500 helis except for one and it's going too. I just don't see the point. To me the 500 true size just doesn't make sense. Heavier, harder on packs and no better visibility. So what's the point? I've come to think it's marketing/sales size more than practicality size. 550 is the better next logical step. Truly 570 is better yet and can start using 12s packs for overall better performance /flight time.
Yep, I'm totally picking up what you're putting down. The kid in me wants one of everything, but the responsible Family man in me seems to think I might have all the helis I need now.

The fact that I can pack share with my Logo 600 will be a double edged sword. I wanted this for cost savings of buying/re-buying lipos, but realistically, the 480 is likely to be the most flown heli when I head to the dedicated club field being that I can get twice as many flights, as well as it being big enough that the visibility is still great, but small enough that I will fly it as hard as I want without fear of crashing due to associated replacement costs. The downside is that the 600 will see a lot less flight time.

There will be models that grab my eye, but I think the only likely model I might get enticed by is the 550 class, but that forces me into a new lipo I don't have and the 600 on 12S is still a more efficient machine and in the ballpark of the same 550 presence. I dunno.

I don't see a point for me in a 700, so really, I might be good to go with my current helis. That kid inside me though, he's going to want something new and fancy eventually though, and likely prevail.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also share my packs between my logo 480 on 6s and 600 on 12s.
ryguy76 likes this.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I also share my packs between my logo 480 on 6s and 600 on 12s.

Same here 6s 3700..its been a few years now and i am heli satisfied.
ryguy76 likes this.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

this would be a neat addition to your 480..

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=824475

works pretty slick..
Old 03-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys-heli View Post
this would be a neat addition to your 480..

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=824475

works pretty slick..

Thought about it but once I sorted my issue out, I figured Iíd see hw it works as is before spending more money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in