Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade 230s V2 for a first helicopter?

Well, I know my avatar is a Blade 400 that I had and traded for some rifles before ever flying it, and I have been a member for quite some time, but I am looking to get a helicopter. (I will have to fix that later lol)

For some background information, I have flown a MCX before, quite a bit in fact, and have been flying drones for a few months so I do know the basics. I want to get into proper helis this spring when it warms up, as its pretty cold here in northeast PA now.

I was looking at a Blade 230s V2, since it has SAFE. Would this be a good heli for me to learn on? I tried on a sim when I had the Blade 400 but I never was able to do it, and would end up being distracted and just messing around with the planes.
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2019, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

With it's stability mode and you having some flying experience it would be a fine first choice.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2019, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

When in stability mode, will it hands off hover like a drone? Can it be switched back and forth quickly, like if i find myself having issues keeping it hovering in place, I can just switch back to stability?
Old 01-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get back on the sim. A collective pitch heli, even with stability mode, is very different than a drone or a coax heli. With that being said, a 230s can be a first heli. You can switch back and forth between modes, but it's still not as easy to fly as the drone and the coax.

IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED WITH DENTAL FLOSS, THEN IT CAN'T BE FIXED..LOL
Liduno is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2019, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liduno View Post
Get back on the sim. A collective pitch heli, even with stability mode, is very different than a drone or a coax heli. With that being said, a 230s can be a first heli. You can switch back and forth between modes, but it's still not as easy to fly as the drone and the coax.
When I got rid of the Blade 400 I gave him the sim with it, so I don't have it anymore.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypizano View Post
When I got rid of the Blade 400 I gave him the sim with it, so I don't have it anymore.
Without a sim I wouldn't recommend the 230 as a first heli. You will crash often while learning.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need to get down flying using all the sticks with a heli most of the time unlike a plane, quad, or coax heli. I'd recommend getting a sim back. I had assumed you still had it.

If you want a first time heli that can take a beating and also has 6G stability there is the XK K110. The Nano CPS and mCPS are other choices but the Nano has no where near the performance of the K110.

You can learn on a 230S but will probably break things which might make you quit again. The smaller helis will let you get started hovering around inside before spring.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the idea of a 230 S V2 as a first heli for three reasons. It’s cheap, easy to find & replace parts, and has stability mode.

Stability mode can be switched on/off at will if you know how to program a transmitter. Lots of info on that in the 230 S forum. But even with stability mode, it is not as stable as a quadcopter.

Before you turn Stability mode off, make sure you are up high and have practiced on any sim.

Expect to crash with or without Stability mode, though.

I recommend getting at least a DX6 transmitter, not the RTF version of the heli.

As others have said, a Nano CP S is great too, before spring arrives.

Last edited by xoexoe; 01-26-2019 at 11:29 PM..
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
You need to get down flying using all the sticks with a heli most of the time unlike a plane, quad, or coax heli. I'd recommend getting a sim back. I had assumed you still had it.

If you want a first time heli that can take a beating and also has 6G stability there is the XK K110. The Nano CPS and mCPS are other choices but the Nano has no where near the performance of the K110.

You can learn on a 230S but will probably break things which might make you quit again. The smaller helis will let you get started hovering around inside before spring.
Breaking stuff won’t make me quit, I had to repair a gimbal cable on my Mavic Pro, so I am okay with fixing stuff.

Want to get something larger as my house is small, so I need something I can fly outside.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pick up a spare head assembly with the 230S (around $16). It makes for a cheap super quick fix and then you can get parts to repair the broken one. Use FBL tape to hold the skids on and they will pop off in a crash and not transfer all that energy to the frame.
powderhound332 likes this.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Pick up a spare head assembly with the 230S (around $16). It makes for a cheap super quick fix and then you can get parts to repair the broken one. Use FBL tape to hold the skids on and they will pop off in a crash and not transfer all that energy to the frame.
I was planning on that, and some blades, second batt maybe, etc etc

What radio is better? DX6 or DX8e?
Old 01-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I was planning on that, and some blades, second batt maybe, etc etc

What radio is better? DX6 or DX8e?
I really like having the voice. The DX6 will have that but not the DX8e I believe. But it's nice to have the extra channels for when you start flying kit helis for things like Rescue and Bank Switching. Your best bet might be a used DX8 or DX9. The DX6 though will get you started just fine. I had one before I bought my DX9 on here from a member.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also started with a DX6 and have been happy with it. Recently I built a kit that has a more adjustable FBL, so I’m about to retire my DX6 and upgrade to DX9 for the channels. If you do go DX8 or 9 it’ll have everything you need unless you want to change brands in the future. If you stick with Blade helis, DX6 is great.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Next weekend I will be picking up the Blade 70s, I have given it some thought and I will see if so can fly it in my house.

I also have a question about buying the better radio when I get the 230s later on...

How bad is the RTF radio? I was thinking of getting the RTF one to start out, then getting a Dx8 later on?
Old 01-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Next weekend I will be picking up the Blade 70s, I have given it some thought and I will see if so can fly it in my house.

I also have a question about buying the better radio when I get the 230s later on...

How bad is the RTF radio? I was thinking of getting the RTF one to start out, then getting a Dx8 later on?

I think the RTF radio is fine for starting out. That's what I did, then upgraded to a DX8, which I absolutely love.

I started out learning to hover on a sim, then flying on 2 different cheap FP heli's, then a 180 (if I recall) then moved up to a 230S later. I think I could have jumped right from the sim to a 230S in Normal mode. I flew in Normal for quite a while, then separated Stability out onto a separate switch on my DX8, then a month or so ago, started flying in IU1 without Stability engaged. Baby steps, and the slow learning progression is very much a challenge, and very fun. If I would have jumped right into flying 3D after a week, that wouldn't have been as much fun.

It will take me a while getting comfortable in IU1 without Stability, then once I get real comfortable, I will try loops, flips, rolls and maybe a little inverted hovering up high. I doubt I will ever really fly 3D with it, even though I flew r/c airplanes for over 20 years and could fly 3D with those pretty well. Heli's are way, way more challenging and difficult to fly than airplanes.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are some nice multi-protocol radios out there that use Deviation and OpenTX for programming. They wouldn't be as easy as a Spektrum radio setting up but do allow you to control many different models. I have a Jumper T8SG Plus which is like that. I prefer my DX9 though when I can as it feels and fits much better in my hands.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Blade 70S will only work with the mikey mouse RTF transmitter it comes with. It is however a good heli to learn on. I learned on its predecessor the MSR, if you can find one second hand it would serve you well. Avoid the later MsrX which is just about unflyable even for experts.
Bargee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobat66 View Post
I think the RTF radio is fine for starting out. That's what I did, then upgraded to a DX8, which I absolutely love.

I started out learning to hover on a sim, then flying on 2 different cheap FP heli's, then a 180 (if I recall) then moved up to a 230S later. I think I could have jumped right from the sim to a 230S in Normal mode. I flew in Normal for quite a while, then separated Stability out onto a separate switch on my DX8, then a month or so ago, started flying in IU1 without Stability engaged. Baby steps, and the slow learning progression is very much a challenge, and very fun. If I would have jumped right into flying 3D after a week, that wouldn't have been as much fun.

It will take me a while getting comfortable in IU1 without Stability, then once I get real comfortable, I will try loops, flips, rolls and maybe a little inverted hovering up high. I doubt I will ever really fly 3D with it, even though I flew r/c airplanes for over 20 years and could fly 3D with those pretty well. Heli's are way, way more challenging and difficult to fly than airplanes.
When I was using the sim, I was using the DX6i. I will get the RTF one then and wait on a DX8 in time. I don't intend on doing much, if any, 3D flight really, but who knows what the future holds there... i mainly just fly my drones, a DJI Spark, a DJI Mavic Pro and a Yuneec Q500 4K in circles around the yard lol.

Quote:
There are some nice multi-protocol radios out there that use Deviation and OpenTX for programming. They wouldn't be as easy as a Spektrum radio setting up but do allow you to control many different models. I have a Jumper T8SG Plus which is like that. I prefer my DX9 though when I can as it feels and fits much better in my hands.
Would prefer to stick with Spektrum, I know my LHS sells those...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargee View Post
The Blade 70S will only work with the mikey mouse RTF transmitter it comes with. It is however a good heli to learn on. I learned on its predecessor the MSR, if you can find one second hand it would serve you well. Avoid the later MsrX which is just about unflyable even for experts.
I do know that, shame they didn't make it DSM2
Old 01-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pretty sure the RTF radio on the 70S is just for that heli. I wouldn't use it on anything else. The DX6 is pretty affordable and will last you a good while when you jump to the 230S. Of course the DX8 is like really good.

Quote:

Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think with your experience you're beyond the 70. On the other hand it is super cheap.

Flying fixed pitch is good for learning orientation, but I would assume you already have that from the drone and the coax.

If you absolutely refuse to get a sim, I would recommend something like the MCPS, it has stability mode too, but don't use it too long, it will hamper your learning curve. If you fly over grass and hit the throttle hold before it hits the ground, you can usually just pick it up and keep flying.

If you're positive your going to get a 230s or bigger in the future, just get a dx6 or better radio. Don't even mess with the RTF radios.

In the end, my advice is worth what you paid for it..lol No hard feelings if you completely ignore it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in