Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Heads and Rotor Blades

Heads and Rotor Blades Heads and Rotor Blades Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Head balancing

I'm using the Align 3-blade head on my 600 size AS350. I just replaced the main shaft with a longer one to get the correct scale height of the rotor over the doghouse. Because of that, I am now using a Vario swash driver instead of the stock one.
I am now wondering whether I should dremel off the lugs on the central hub that the orginal Align swash driver was mounted to, to improve the balance of the rotor head. The size of that lug is about 5x5x10mm^3; even if it was steel (which it is not, besides probably some inserts for the threads - not sure) its weight would be about 2 grams. The lug is about 1cm from the center of the main shaft. The static imbalance would be equivalent to having one 600mm long blade (COG 35cm from the axis of rotation) being about 60 milligrams (0.06 grams) heavier than the others.

This difference seems tiny, but I would really like to get some input here.
Thanks!!!
getsuyoubi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Hi:

A picture of the offending lug would really help with this. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Don,

Here you go.
It was a little late last night to sneak out to the garage to take pictures...

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head-lug1.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	784355   Click image for larger version

Name:	head-lug2.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	784357  
Old 03-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Having the lug on the same side as the counterweight of the swash driver doesn't help, either. For what it might get you, the lug on the bottom of the main rotor hub could easily be removed without any ill effects. If you spool it up before removal, have a look at the skids or horizontal and vertical fins to see how they are moving. These surfaces can give you tell tale signs of something out of balance. A gyro, like a Skookum or iKON2 can give you vibration logs that can tell you if there is anything amiss.

At times, annoying vibrations and buzzing parts can drive you around the bend but if you look at where they might be originating, you can look for items running at the same frequency as the graphs will show you. If the graph shows a vibration at 1600 (typical head speed), then you know it is something spinning at the same rpm as the main rotor. If it is 10,000, you can just about nail it down to the motor but each individual helicopter will have different readouts for those frequencies.

So let's say you have a large deflection at 1600 rpm, remove the lug and then see what change to the chart it made. If you saw that it lowered the level some (or a lot), you will be on your way to reducing the vibrations a bit at a time overall in the helicopter. In many cases, the counterweight (or lack there of) can be as much to blame as a slight imbalance of the blades. I have some helicopters that have vibration levels so low as to be non-existent. Hope this helps.

Don
Old 03-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Don,

I use an original BeastX (not the Plus), and don't have vibration logging.

I guess I will just remove the lug, assuming that the Vario swash driver by itself is reasonably balanced. Do you think that's a fair assumption?
I always hate burning bridges by cutting things off, though I will almost certainly never go back to the original configuration.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I would hope it would be close. Having an adjustable swash driver gives you are very quick method of setting up the phasing of the blades. No need to hook it up to a computer to make minor corrections. Even if a multi-blade head is perfectly set so that the blades track at 90 degrees ahead of their rotational position, a helicopter may not track perfectly straight. It may drift slightly to the right or left, depending on the individual helicopter. The slight correction to the left or right (sometimes less than a degree or two) will bring the helicopters' flight path inline with the control sticks. It is rare but it does happen and I am fairly certain that I have some phase correction in my MH-6. Hope this helps.

Don
Old 03-25-2019, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright, I guess that's my task for the weekend then.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, the lug is gone. Even if it did not contribute any significant vibrations - which I will never know due to lack of vibration logging - it certainly looks better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head-without-lug.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	784785  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in