Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade Nano S2

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tips for new Nano or Nano S2 owners.

Binding
When binding a Computer based radio like a Dx9 make sure to move your rudder stick to full right rudder. If you need to rebind the included non-computer RTF controller move the rudder full left.

Throttle Cut
In addition to the instructions in the manual, configure Throttle cut to the same switch as throttle hold. This should be sending -130 on throttle. Very important on S2. The 3d mode seems to ignore all throttle settings and run at 100%, even ignores throttle hold, throttle cut is needed to stop the motor in 3D mode on the S2.

Level the Swash
To double check that the swash is level center the servos. With the radio off install and connect a battery to the Nano, it will center the servos. Now eyeball the swash vs. the main shaft. You want them to be perpendicular (90 degrees). To adjust pull a link by putting your nails behind it and on each side then pull/pop them off. You can shorten or lengthen a servo link one full turn at a time. You cannot do half turns as the links only go on one way, larger hole on first. When you press them back on be sure to have a thumb or finger behind the post for support or you will bend the plastic arm.

Main gear
The main can slip on the shaft. The typical symptom is a loss of pitch and not able to lift off. While pushing down on the head slide the gear back on, flat spot to flat spot. Place a dab of white glue on the gear and shaft where they meet. Do not use super glue, if you do, replacing a broken main gear will require you to also replace the shaft as you won't be able to separate the two.

Installing an AL swash plate
Highly recommended.

You will need to pull the head off first. Disconnect all the servo links. Undo the two screws on the head that hold it to the shaft. Pull the head off. I've never been able to do this without also pulling the whole shaft out. So I always end up having to glue the main gear back on(see note above about glue).

If needed insert the main shaft and glue the gear on now.

Disconnect the blade control arm links from the swash upper plate. Set the head aside and install the new swash over the main shaft and connect the servo links. I find now is a great time to check for a level swash, seems easier to see than when the head is on. See note above on how to level your swash.

Slide the head on the shaft lining up the screws with the flat spots. Don't tighten the screws yet. With the servos centered and the swash level connect the blade links to the swash. The head has some adjustment up and down on the shaft. We will use to set zero pitch of the blade. Fold the blades so they are almost touching. Move the head up or down on the shaft until the blade tips are level with each other. Now tighten the screws.

Congrats you have a new AL swash that is level with the correct zero pitch set. Might be a good idea to do a trim/ calibration flight, the instruction are in the manual. I've found I might need to do the trim flight multiple times to get a good calibration. If you crash hard you might need to redo it also.
senzafine, Wizza, xoexoe and 2 others like this.

Last edited by drparker151; 03-28-2019 at 09:49 PM..
drparker151 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good info.

Some ideas for edits:
  • The heli is "Nano S2" rather than "Nano V2"
  • Mention that throttle cut should send a -130% throttle value. This is default on my Spektrum TX, but couldn't hurt to mention.
  • Your binding instructions are for computerized TXs only, not the RTF TX. You go full-left for the RTF transmitter.
  • Maybe mention that the 3D mode always seems to run at 100% no matter what throttle value is sent by the TX (except, of course, throttle cut).
Old 03-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
Good info.

Some ideas for edits:
  • The heli is "Nano S2" rather than "Nano V2"
  • Mention that throttle cut should send a -130% throttle value. This is default on my Spektrum TX, but couldn't hurt to mention.
  • Your binding instructions are for computerized TXs only, not the RTF TX. You go full-left for the RTF transmitter.
  • Maybe mention that the 3D mode always seems to run at 100% no matter what throttle value is sent by the TX (except, of course, throttle cut).
Thanks will update
Old 03-28-2019, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the tips Dr I leveled the swash thanks to you had a bad drift and now feels way better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by drparker151 View Post
When binding a Computer based radio like a Dx6i

Throttle Cut
In addition to the instructions in the manual, configure Throttle cut to the same switch as throttle hold. This should be sending -130 on throttle. Very important on S2. The 3d mode seems to ignore all throttle settings and run at 100%, even ignores throttle hold, throttle cut is needed to stop the motor in 3D mode on the S2.
What default value is the throttle for hold? -100?
And it is not working with that to kill the motor with a -100 value?

Be aware that the Dx6i is the only Spektrum transmitter which has that annoying throttle cut push/release switch on top which works kind a bit like the Trainer push button from the more modern Spektrum transmitters.
Not any of the other Spektrum have a dedicated TC push/release button on top.

WARNING:
If you put the -130 TC value not on a spring-release button (like trainer) but instead of a 2-way switch you must be VERY careful when you connect the flight battery the first time on bootup.

Most ESCs do have an auto-learn mode, so they check the initial signal and arm their range according to the minimum throttle signal that they see (electronic settings usually should be -100) the first time.

If you have a dedicated TC 2-way switch with the -130 throttle value and you have it in the position when you power on your transmitter, load the heli and turn the Nano on, the ESC of the board might learn this throttle value as the new "-100" minimum throttle value.
If this is also the case with the Nano S2 I can not tell...

This means when you finally release the TC and hold switch (especially if it is on the same 2-way switch) and have your throttle on the minimum, the new -100% value from the stick will be interpreted as -70% throttle and will drive your motor on low stick throttle!!

I have had exactly this phenomen with the DX8G1 (silver) when the TC value is configured for the wrong value (-130 vs -100) with several ESCs and should not be any different with newer Airware transmitters.

The -130% TC value shall normally not to be used for electric, but for nitro driven motors where -100% is low/idle and you need a kill switch above that lowest (idle) value.

..(...)..

As I do not own the Nano S2 I can not test what I have said and how the new Nano board plays around with -130 vs -100 (-70) when you wrongly initialize the heli.
I will see what my local HH dealer says about his new Nano S2 models sitting on the shelf; usually they are closed (sealed).

The hold switch is usually ON when you
- turn your TX on
- initialize the heli with the flight pack
- spool up from the stunt mode 1 / 2 (FM1/FM2) settings from newer Airware transmitters

If you really have to use the -130 TC value, I would like to suggest to put it onto a 2nd switch (trainer button, Dx6i throttle cut) and not have it activated when you first time connect the flight pack with your Nano.

I have no idea how you could spool up in the 3D mode then when the -100 throttle value is not off.

Q: Is this only the problem when it is running or does this also apply for the spool? If the latter I would initialize the heli on a different flight-mode setting (FM0/FM1) before spooling up.

In stunt mode you usually put your pitch stick first to the middle and then release the hold switch to have the CP heli spool up.

------------------------

What is the offical statement from the HorizonHobby support about this problem with the Nano S2 board and required -130 value in 3D mode?

Sounds to me like a real issue which rather needs to be FIXED with a board reprogramming for the correct -100 value while you are in the warranty period (Herstellergarantie)?!?
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas.Heiss View Post
What default value is the throttle for hold? -100?
And it is not working with that to kill the motor with a -100 value?

Be aware that the Dx6i is the only Spektrum transmitter which has that annoying throttle cut push/release switch on top which works kind a bit like the Trainer push button from the more modern Spektrum transmitters.
Not any of the other Spektrum have a dedicated TC push/release button on top.

WARNING:
If you put the -130 TC value not on a spring-release button (like trainer) but instead of a 2-way switch you must be VERY careful when you connect the flight battery the first time on bootup.

Most ESCs do have an auto-learn mode, so they check the initial signal and arm their range according to the minimum throttle signal that they see (electronic settings usually should be -100) the first time.

If you have a dedicated TC 2-way switch with the -130 throttle value and you have it in the position when you power on your transmitter, load the heli and turn the Nano on, the ESC of the board might learn this throttle value as the new "-100" minimum throttle value.
If this is also the case with the Nano S2 I can not tell...

This means when you finally release the TC and hold switch (especially if it is on the same 2-way switch) and have your throttle on the minimum, the new -100% value from the stick will be interpreted as -70% throttle and will drive your motor on low stick throttle!!

I have had exactly this phenomen with the DX8G1 (silver) when the TC value is configured for the wrong value (-130 vs -100) with several ESCs and should not be any different with newer Airware transmitters.

The -130% TC value shall normally not to be used for electric, but for nitro driven motors where -100% is low/idle and you need a kill switch above that lowest (idle) value.

..(...)..

As I do not own the Nano S2 I can not test what I have said and how the new Nano board plays around with -130 vs -100 (-70) when you wrongly initialize the heli.
I will see what my local HH dealer says about his new Nano S2 models sitting on the shelf; usually they are closed (sealed).

The hold switch is usually ON when you
- turn your TX on
- initialize the heli with the flight pack
- spool up from the stunt mode 1 / 2 (FM1/FM2) settings from newer Airware transmitters

If you really have to use the -130 TC value, I would like to suggest to put it onto a 2nd switch (trainer button, Dx6i throttle cut) and not have it activated when you first time connect the flight pack with your Nano.

I have no idea how you could spool up in the 3D mode then when the -100 throttle value is not off.

Q: Is this only the problem when it is running or does this also apply for the spool? If the latter I would initialize the heli on a different flight-mode setting (FM0/FM1) before spooling up.

In stunt mode you usually put your pitch stick first to the middle and then release the hold switch to have the CP heli spool up.

------------------------

What is the offical statement from the HorizonHobby support about this problem with the Nano S2 board and required -130 value in 3D mode?

Sounds to me like a real issue which rather needs to be FIXED with a board reprogramming for the correct -100 value while you are in the warranty period (Herstellergarantie)?!?
I'll take your word on the right way to program a 6i, I've only had DX6 Gen 3 and Dx9 and now fly Jeti.

The Nano two ignores all throttle inputs when in 3D mode. Does not matter if you are using a flat curve like 60% straight across or regular curve.

Throttle hold of -100 does not work either. The motor always runs 100% when in 3D. The only way to stop it is with throttle cut. I prefer to have TH and TC on two separate switches as added safety. But because of the behavior on S2 I have programmed both onto the same switch.

No idea what HH says, I haven't asked.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
Thanks for the tips Dr I leveled the swash thanks to you had a bad drift and now feels way better!

Glad it helped. I found that tip on centering the servos buried in some post on here last year. So just passing on what I've learned from others.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Level the Swash
To double check that the swash is level center the servos.
With the radio OFF install and connect a battery to the Nano, it will center the servos. Now eyeball the swash vs. the main shaft.
No!

This is definitely N O T the right thing to do how to properly drive your servos into their middle position to be able to do any 90 degree servoarm subtrim (not applicable for the Nano) and swashplate leveling.

1. Turn your transmitter ON (always do this first)
2. Make sure throttle is off (hold switch, -100%, proper flight mode activated which accepts -100% as motor=off setting)
3. put the throttle stick to the middle position and verify in the channel monitor (50% for 0..100 range; 0 for -100..0..100 range) that you hit the right spot

4. connect the flight pack to the heli
-> with the proper transmitter signal this will finally drive the servos into the proper middle position (subtrim 0 in the transmitter)

5. do the swashplate leveling by unplugging the battery in the heli (servos should stay at the last initialized position as the transmitter is on; if you move the servoarm by mistake you can reconnect the battery pack and let the servos find their correct middle position)

Zero pitch

1. Turn your transmitter ON (always do this first)
2. Make sure throttle is off (hold switch, -100%, proper flight mode activated which accepts -100% as motor=off setting)
3. put the throttle stick to the middle position and verify in the channel monitor (50% for 0..100 range; 0 for -100..0..100 range) that you hit the right spot

4. connect the flight pack to the heli
-> with the proper transmitter signal this will finally drive the servos into the proper middle position (subtrim 0 in the transmitter)

5. put both blades to the back (tail boom) so you can see if they match at the same height; if the blade holders are quite loose it may be required to align the heli vertically with the nose up so the blades properly align into their sweet spot (or you just slighty tigthen the blades before checking for proper alignment when the heli is sitting on the table)

6. you can move your swashplate mechanically to ZERO pitch by turning all of the three links (only full turns, there is a front and a back of the link!) 1-3 times equally and then recheck; it is advisable to unplug the battery in the heli first before you give "load" onto the swashplate arms and servos while clipping off/on the linkages and replug in the battery for verification

7. you can fine-tune the remaining swashplate travel for ZERO pitch by using the subtrim function on the collective pitch channel (AUX1/CH6) which you could not reach (perfectly) mechanically by only turning the linkages one full turn

8. adjust for min/max pitch with the pitch channel (AUX1/CH6) servo travel adjust for equal way and proper collective values (~11-13 degree)
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes it does it work, this is a Nano. I'm not saying to do this on any other heli or controller. Plugging a battery in without having the radio on does two things. Centers the servos and puts the nano in bind mode. Move the servos so they are way off of centered and pull the battery. Now plug in the battery without having the radio on, the servos center.

Please explain why Blade programmed in centering the servos when it does not see a radio?

The nano controller does not have a function to center the servos like my other controllers do. `

The nano will not arm the motor if it is not getting -100 on the throttle channel.

Also how do make sure you have it sending 0 center stick if you are using a radio without a display like the RTF radio?

EDIT: When I use subtrim, I only do this the controller setup and not in the radio. The nano controller does not have subtrim.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Please explain why Blade programmed in centering the servos when it does not see a radio?
On some other heli models I saw it that there will be a different "center" if you have the TX on or off.

AFAICR this was also the case when I played around with the Tarot ZYX with a Spektrum RX on the Walkera V120D02s.

Can you try again:
- 1) to move the servos off center
- 2) turn on the Nano (drives servos)
- 3) turn on the TX: Will this drive again the servos?

Sorry, I cannot test here as I have no plans in getting the S2.

Right now I am trying to get the XK K110 (BL, 1s 450-520mah or 600mah, 60g) working.

Quote:
The nano controller does not have a function to center the servos like my other controllers do.
Yes, there is no "90 degree servo centering".

So I wanted to give the trick with the PIT (AUX1 CH6 channel) subtrim usage which was working on my Ex-NanoCPx.

Quote:
Also how do make sure you have it sending 0 center stick if you are using a radio without a display like the RTF radio?
Good question.

On bigger transmitters you have the small white lines on the sides of the sticks (or is it called gimbals).
But even then you can often not perfectly move the stick to the exact 0/50 mid point.

I got the MLP4DSM with the Inductrix RTF.
I could not fly it in acro mode with this TX.
The blue stability mode even requires trim on the TX (completely off = heavy drifts).
The throttle stick is way to jumpy around the middle for my taste with the RTF (up and down, all the time).

I heard the Nano has the MLP6 as RTF....not sure about any stick improvements besides the red rescue button.

Honestly, I simply would not try to fly a small CP heli with a non-computer transmitter where you cannot fine tune throttle/pitch curves and your own DualRate/expo numbers or use the subtrim trick on the PIT channel (if required for fine-tuning ZERO pitch where mechanically not achievable).

There are so many transmitters available like Walkera Devo10 with DeviationTX, Devo6/8s, Jumper T8SG V2, T12, Taranis Q X7(s), etc.

You do not necessarily have to spend hundreds of $$$ for a Spektrum DX model and be limited only to 6, 7 or 8 channels.

For my Inductrix (red canopy, Non-FPV) it is night and day:
MLP4 RTF transmitter vs Devo10 (or Ex-DX8G1 in 2012 for the 120SR).

Quote:
EDIT: When I use subtrim, I only do this the controller setup and not in the radio. The nano controller does not have subtrim.
Right.
This only affects the 90 degree swashplate layout for the three cyclic values.

Luckily you are allowed to use subtrim on the collective pitch (AUX1) channel to fine-tune the perfect ZERO pitch (to get perfect even blade tracking).
It drives ALL three cyclic servos and not only one.

Subtrim should be 0 for ELE, AIL and RUD (yaw) channels.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss; 03-31-2019 at 12:11 AM..
Old 03-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I contacted HorizonHobby about the throttle hold issue in 3D mode. I asked what solution they recommended and when there would be a board update. They said there is not currently a fix on their end of things... just use Throttle Cut is their recommendation.

Quote:
Hello,

Currently, there is not a fix. Simply run a throttle cut on the same switch and this will be your solution.

Cody A.
Product Support
Horizon Hobby, LLC
Hours (CST):
Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Thomas.Heiss and carlos64030 like this.

Last edited by xoexoe; 03-30-2019 at 10:12 AM..
xoexoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's what I assumed. There is no way to flash these that I know of. Based on past history I will also guess at some point you find an addendum sheet in the box and posted the web telling you to create a throttle cut. Just like the addendum for the Nano telling you to check your spindle nuts.
Thomas.Heiss likes this.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX8 SETUP FILE FOR NANO S2

Does anyone have a Nano S2 set up on a dx-8 and if so may I have the file please
VegasRepairGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX8 SETUP FILE FOR NANO S2

Does anyone have a Nano S2 set up on a dx-8 and if so may I have the file please
VegasRepairGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 10:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have it on a DX6 sorry. But I used to download them from the Spektrum page.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Support/Setups.aspx

toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 10:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I contacted HorizonHobby about the throttle hold issue in 3D mode. I asked what solution they recommended and when there would be a board update. They said there is not currently a fix.
I'm glad I read this. I wasted 2 hours going through my ix12 trying to configure the settings to fix this issue with no luck.
carlos64030 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2019, 03:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos64030 View Post
Quote:
I contacted HorizonHobby about the throttle hold issue in 3D mode. I asked what solution they recommended and when there would be a board update. They said there is not currently a fix.
I'm glad I read this. I wasted 2 hours going through my ix12 trying to configure the settings to fix this issue with no luck.
Just use throttle cut as a fix
Old 03-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas.Heiss View Post
No!

This is definitely N O T the right thing to do how to properly drive your servos into their middle position...(snip)
I'm not going to quote all your posts here. But I strongly suggest not barging in and bossing people around who actually know what they are doing. Most of us here have a LOT of experience with a LOT of different brands and models of helicopters. Everything stated in this thread is 100% true and accurate. You seem to have limited experience with RC helicopters, probably limited to 120-200 size class based on your responses. If you haven't noticed, you're in the section for the Nano S2. If you have zero experience with the S2/CPS/CPX, you definitely have no business arguing with and bossing around those of us who have several years of experience with them.

A lot of us here spend more time experimenting and problem solving than actual flying, because we enjoy it, and we enjoy educating those who don't have the time/patience/knowledge to do so themselves. And for the record, "asking HH" is not always the answer. Lots of times the members here actually have more knowledge, or better solutions, than HH can ever give. And also a lot of times, HH actually uses THIS BOARD for finding problems and making corrections in the future, or applying what they learned here in this forum to their email responses.

Read. Learn. Comment.
Limitless likes this.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Just use throttle cut as a fix
I really have no need for the 3D mode so it's not a big deal now that I think about it.
carlos64030 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2019, 11:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRepairGuy View Post
Here's the setup file from my DX8. I don't use the stability modes so what I do is take off at mid stick in idle up 2, then release the throttle hold and it takes off very smoothly.
Attached Files
File Type: spm 16NANOS2.SPM (9.5 KB, 178 views)
aalin13 likes this.
mCX, mSR, 250SE, 450PRO, 500ESP 3G, mcp X, 450SPORT 3G, 700E V2, 500EFL PRO, V120D02S V2, 550E V2, 250 PRO DFC, Mini CP, 450PRO DFC, 130X, mcp X BL, 150 DFC, 130X Red Bull, 230S, 180 CFX, Nano S2, 150X DFC, DX6i, DX8, Devo 10
perlinauto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in