Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade Nano S2

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2019, 09:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys, just picked one up yesterday and man its giving me grief lol.

Im very familiar with the nanos I have three, 1 flying and 2 Frankensteined for parts over the years.

So I set this up , the throttle cut works well..problem one solved. Then I swapped out the head and swash for my LYNX parts. and when I flip to IU1 I get a negative pitch situation that requires me to be quick as It won stay in at the same altitude on the switch. even though all the pitch curve parameters are the same in all three modes. I don't get it. I just take off and land in N everything else is IU1 or 2... any ideas boys. I dont like this pitch jump on the switch at all and not a fan of taking off in IU1 just because of the hard start.

thanks
leedude01 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi lee. In one of three modes, I don’t remember which, the heli seems to just want to go up and up and up. I had to have the collective stick damn near -100 to get it to come down. Was really bad to fly. Is this what you’re talking about?

I did notice that the three pitch curves are all the same. But it seems Blade has decided to do something strange with the S2. The pitch/collective stick does not directly control the pitch of the blades, at least not in that weird mode. I believe the S2 board is seeing the flight mode in a particular mode and is overriding/interpreting the 0-50-100 pitch curve in its own way.

Not sure if that is consistent or explains your issue, but it’s the best info I have.

Aug 2019: Oxy 3+ — Oxy 2 — Nano S2 & CP X — T-Rex 150X — Spirit FBL — FrSky Horus X10S
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not that it is right, the manual does say ascend and descent rates are limited in Normal mode. Normal also limits bank angles and self-levels. UI1 has all the stability of Normal but does not limit Ascend and descent rates. 3D/UI has no stability or rate limits and locks throttle at 100%
Old 04-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tips for new Nano or Nano S2 owners.

Yes I agree. I have to admit this heli is awesome but I fly it on IU2 always. Ever since my 230S I was about to throw it in the trash and someone told me to just ignore the stabilization modes. Just fly it like a regular CP heli. Oh boy now I miss that heli.

For my Nano CPS I tried a couple times to test the stabilized modes and I just decided to use it always on IU2. For my sons to get a bit of experience on it I just had the DR rates on a switch and get them way down. That way it’s much better. You can also try to lower your head speed. I separated also my Gear channel to a switch so I can turn off stabilization but have IU1 for lower head speed. So lower rates and head speed worked well for basic training of my kids. Neither continued with it but at least they got a taste of it and were able to at least hover.

Haven’t tried with the S2 I just kept it for myself hehe and fly on IU2. But should work the same way. Actually I copied my CPS model made just a couple throttle curve changes and bound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
Yes I agree. I have to admit this heli is awesome but I fly it on IU2 always. Ever since my 230S I was about to throw it in the trash and someone told me to just ignore the stabilization modes. Just fly it like a regular CP heli. Oh boy now I miss that heli.

For my Nano CPS I tried a couple times to test the stabilized modes and I just decided to use it always on IU2. For my sons to get a bit of experience on it I just had the DR rates on a switch and get them way down. That way it’s much better. You can also try to lower your head speed. I separated also my Gear channel to a switch so I can turn off stabilization but have IU1 for lower head speed. So lower rates and head speed worked well for basic training of my kids. Neither continued with it but at least they got a taste of it and were able to at least hover.

Haven’t tried with the S2 I just kept it for myself hehe and fly on IU2. But should work the same way. Actually I copied my CPS model made just a couple throttle curve changes and bound.

For me the S2 in UI2 is ignoring throttle curves and stays at 100%, does yours change?
Old 04-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by drparker151 View Post
For me the S2 in UI2 is ignoring throttle curves and stays at 100%, does yours change?

I meant between the CPS and S2. They have some changes on throttle curves and I think pitch curves per the manuals. I just wanted to leave them as recommended if I wanted to try out the other modes. But yes I end up using just flat 100%.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys, but let me clarify.

The both IU modes NOT stability the heli is acting perfectly and there is no difference in pitch when I switch between the 2. They hold their altitude so the baldes are in the same space so to speak. When I check the blades in TH they are at zero pitch at mid stick ...so all good.

However in Normal mode apparently although the TX is set with the same pitch curve, mid stick with TH the blades are NOT at zero pitch therefore when I put it into IU she pitches down until I can correct. which is aggravating. i just use normal it to take off an land.

So I now as a work around I am also taking off at mid stick with TH on and in IU#1 and then flicking of TH off but dont like it as its not a normal flight sequence for me eg i need to hit TH to land it or crush the ever so solid landing skids.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedude01 View Post
Thanks guys, but let me clarify.

The both IU modes NOT stability the heli is acting perfectly and there is no difference in pitch when I switch between the 2. They hold their altitude so the baldes are in the same space so to speak. When I check the blades in TH they are at zero pitch at mid stick ...so all good.

However in Normal mode apparently although the TX is set with the same pitch curve, mid stick with TH the blades are NOT at zero pitch therefore when I put it into IU she pitches down until I can correct. which is aggravating. i just use normal it to take off an land.

So I now as a work around I am also taking off at mid stick with TH on and in IU#1 and then flicking of TH off but dont like it as its not a normal flight sequence for me eg i need to hit TH to land it or crush the ever so solid landing skids.
I believe you're seeing the effect of the new feature in Normal. Limiting Ascent and decent rates, which would mean they are limiting pitch change rates.

Don't use Normal, just use UI1. UI1 on the S2 is also stability mode, without the limited change rate on pitch changes.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah that's what I'm doing . I like it in IU 1 and 2...like I said just dont like to change the way I normally fly even if just for the nano.
Plus a new flier won't understand the difference and when you get to the bigger birds taking off like that would be an expensive lesson.😂
drparker151 likes this.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
when you get to the bigger birds taking off like that would be an expensive lesson.
What do you mean? I typically don't use stability on my birds, I take off in full cp mode. For the nanos and 130s that means UI2 and on my Oxy 2s no stability engaged in the Sprit.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I meant for my bigger birds. From the 180x up to my 700.

I'll spoil up in normal, get it off the ground into a hover and then flip into idle up 1 or 2 depending.

This is also the way flew my other 2 Nano Cps's. So although I have adapted and take off as I previously described in IU1 no concern, really but its just a note that I'm old and dont like changing my habits. :🤪

She does fly well though I must say, I find it is a little more ..."able" .than the cps.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I find my Nano S2 has a soft enough spool up that I just go from throttle hold to 3D.

Actually, since I didn’t need a separate linear throttle curve, I disabled the flight mode switch (B) entirely and fixed the gear channel to a -100 value

Aug 2019: Oxy 3+ — Oxy 2 — Nano S2 & CP X — T-Rex 150X — Spirit FBL — FrSky Horus X10S
Old 04-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
I find my Nano S2 has a soft enough spool up that I just go from throttle hold to 3D.

Actually, since I didn’t need a separate linear throttle curve, I disabled the flight mode switch (B) entirely and fixed the gear channel to a -100 value

I fly all my helis from throttle hold to IU2.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Personal choice aside.

I guess I just would have liked mid stick to be zero pitch in all modes. I thought I had somehow programmed something wrong some where but couldn't figure it out. But it is, what it is apparently.

Taking nothing away from the bird because these are still my favorite in house and hotel room fliers when on the road in the winter months during hockey tournaments. Thanks gents.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Personal choice aside.

I guess I just would have liked mid stick to be zero pitch in all modes. I thought I had somehow programmed something wrong some where but couldn't figure it out. But it is, what it is apparently.

Taking nothing away from the bird because these are still my favorite in house and hotel room fliers when on the road in the winter months during hockey tournaments. Thanks gents.
Never mind just your post again. I've not spent much time in UI1 or UI2, my pitch is zero at center stick in UI2
Old 04-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

For throttle hold not working in 3d mode, you just want to set throttle cut up to Switch 'H' then (same as throttle hold switch on dx8 gen 2)? So, from the dx8 gen2 manual:

So ... I want to enter this throttle cut menu and choose switch H ... Then, I want to set it to send -130% THR ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Throttle Cut.png
Views:	337
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	786921  
darren.ankney@gmail.com is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tips for new Nano or Nano S2 owners.

Yes. That’s how I have it and the default value for Throttle Cut is -130. Haven’t had a single issue with the setup that way on the S2 or CPS. So both TC and TH on the same switch and TC at -130.

[email protected] likes this.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bingo.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:13 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was able to set this - no problem. Still haven't flown the model yet (still making sure its all cool before I do).
darren.ankney@gmail.com is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2019, 07:16 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want to go through a thorough check, you can check your blade pitch at mid stick (0 degrees) and your max/min pitch too (I went with 11 degrees I think).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in