Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade Nano S2

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

I leveled up the swash. I had a drift on hover so tightened the other side and done. I didn’t check blade tracking and I have no idea how to measure in degrees the pitch of such a small heli. I just have it as default. The spindle IS important to Loctite though. I think Horizon Hobby is missing that black goo that is present on the CPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
I didn’t check blade tracking
Most micro helis have a fixed rotor head linkage set.
If the feathering shaft is ok, blade tracking should be theoretically OK too.

Unfortunately this is not the case for my XK K110.
Maybe it is the main blade holder set, who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
and I have no idea how to measure in degrees the pitch of such a small heli. I just have it as default.
I did the same on my NanoCPX before.
AFAICR I was not not on 100% travel for max/min pitch.

Basically you measure the blade length a, and the distance b between the two blades and then you will get the degree pitch from the calculated algorithm table.

German description and illustration picture: https://www.heli-planet.com/pitchrechner.html

Sometimes you find other people posting their b mm distance between the blades and suggestions like 30-35mm, 40mm, not more than ~45mm.
This is how I did it first on the K110 and it worked out of the box (even with inverted flight) without too much bogging down the motor.

Just make sure that you are not on very high positive/negative pitch values to avoid bogging down the motor.
Not sure if there will be much difference between 11, 12 and 13 degree.
I think I went with 11 degree pitch in 2012/2013.

Brushed motors do not have too much power.
At least the Nano motor is not simply turning off when you do rescue pitch rescue maneuvers over the ground like the MCPX V1/V2 :-)
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...Blade 200QX BL Quad...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D Mustang...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few thoughts from an intermediate pilot based on my two weeks with the S2:
1) I had the dreaded “blurry tail fin” OOTB, which indicated a rotor imbalance. Changed the main blades to the spares and it was gone. Was going to try a small piece of cellophane tape next, but haven’t wrecked the spare blades yet!
2) As noted by many, the feathering spindle nut was too loose. Added some Loctite blue. Problem solved. It’s easy to look in the blade grip opening pre-flight to ensure you have some exposed threads protruding through the nut. Good habit to get into!
3) IMHO normal, flight mode zero, Z-mode or whatever you call it is not only useless, but can be dangerous. Too little control for me and switching to other modes in mid-air in a tight space should not be done, since pitch/throttle jumps suddenly
4) I really like the simple procedure for a trim flight, but I can’t seem to dial out a right drift. I can be in a stable hover in stunt mode, switch to self-leveling mode 1 and it suddenly drifts off to the right every time. Not a huge deal since I can easily hold some left aileron in a hover and I mostly prefer stunt mode anyway. Have tried trim flights in both normal and mode 1.
5) The flight controller is way superior to the ones in my two old nCPX’s! Only a very little bit of tail wag in a slow left turn when entering the maneuver. It seems very sensitive to tightness of the blade grips screws. They need to be evenly tightened and just a hair tighter than what allows the blades to fall holding the copter on it’s side. The older models felt like I was constantly fighting just to make them stay on course. This control algorithm and/or hardware is clearly improved!
6) It doesn’t seem to care whether I use 25C or 45C batteries, but I’m also not doing anything really taxing like piro-flips or hurricanes.
7) The throttle curve in Mode 1 produced a hover/slow-flight head speed that was too slow for me, so I changed it to 0/33/60/82/100. Subtle increase, but I like it better.
8) I’ve had the swash separate on me twice in crashes, but I’m pretty sure it saved other parts of the rotor head. I just used two tweezers to press it back together without having to tear down the head. Easy to do and it flew exactly the same afterward, both times. May not upgrade until I quit crashing as much!
9) Overall, the most enjoyable micro I’ve flown yet!
drparker151 likes this.
Ric66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 05:21 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just found a swash leveling tool for nano s2:

https://www.rakonheli.com/collection...19882811031606
darren.ankney@gmail.com is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just found a swash leveling tool for nano s2:

https://www.rakonheli.com/collection...19882811031606
I have one, more trouble than it's worth, my eyeball seems to work just as good on this tiny micro.
Mrowka and [email protected] like this.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great review Ric. Thank you!

Aug 2019: Oxy 3+ — Oxy 2 — Nano S2 & CP X — T-Rex 150X — Spirit FBL — FrSky Horus X10S
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
Great review Ric. Thank you!
No problem. I’ve learned so much from this forum over the years, so it’s always good to give back whenever I can. I also should have mentioned that I did level the swash before flying with a few turns on two of the three servo rod ends.
Ric66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

What's the diff bt throttle cut and throttle hold?

Nano cp s also has this issue that if not adding the -130 throttle cut, the tail rotor will spin even throttle hold is applied.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
koopa137 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 12:06 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Throttle hold is a flight mode. It has a pitch curve & throttle curve. You cannot be in hold mode and idle up mode at the same time. (At least on my Spektrum TX). With throttle hold engaged, electric motor does not spin. On gas or nitro models, the head does not spin but the motor is running. I think that’s right...

Throttle cut is just a throttle value that is sent. You can be in idle up 1 (using its pitch curve) and be in throttle cut at the same time. The idea of throttle cut on a gas or nitro model is that the motor itself stops running; you’d need to restart it. On an electric heli, the idea is it just stops the motor from spinning, which is essentially the same as throttle hold.

On electric helis, you could use one of these for auto rotations (to enable fast spool up) and another for normal motor stop (soft spool up).

Aug 2019: Oxy 3+ — Oxy 2 — Nano S2 & CP X — T-Rex 150X — Spirit FBL — FrSky Horus X10S
Old 05-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks drparker151 this thread was very helpful.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tips for new Nano or Nano S2 owners.

If anyone else has found that lowering their collective pitch endpoints in their transmitter is a good thing, consider also lowering your aileron and elevator endpoints. Doing so can prevent too much roll that alone can bog the motor down. But then you might want to adjust your Expo a bit afterward... from the stock 0 % to something like -10% or -15%. This will still allow sensitivity in the center of the cyclic stick since adjusting your roll endpoints will affect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by xoexoe; 06-03-2019 at 11:47 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in