Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade Nano S2

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What did you do with your Nano S2 today?

What'd you do today with your Nano S2?

Today I practiced flips and inverted hovers—both nose-in and tail-in. I can do the nose-in hovers just fine. Tail-in is a whole other story!

Blade Nano S2 flight -- 2019-03-28 (5 min 9 sec)
navigator2011 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Third pack of today. Thanks to some posts here I leveled my swash and feels really good.

Blade Nano S2 first flights (2 min 49 sec)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xoexoe likes this.
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 09:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nice flying toad.

How many times have you sent the Nano over that low fence?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Installed my microheli AL swash.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

And another

Blade Nano S2 indestructible (3 min 13 sec)

Old 03-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks! Although I can do four point hovers on all orientations now in RL thanks to not being afraid to crash with these little guys (I have a Nano CPS and a TREX 150X) and a LOT of simming, I am still not as precise as I would like. I feel like still the backyard is small even for this Nano. I want to see how often I can get out with it and try to close my flight envelope which will definitely help with the bigger helis and with my overall progression.

Do you mean fly out of the backyard? Not too many never had to jump over the fence to pick it up yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
Nice flying toad.

How many times have you sent the Nano over that low fence?
Old 03-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Last edited by BrokeDad; 04-11-2019 at 01:09 PM..
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Mine finally came along with a nice gift of sunglasses. I've been trying out the 4.35V 300mAh HV batteries. They work really well for long easy flights and don't sag as soon for 3D stuff as others.

color coordinated too
Old 04-03-2019, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Blade Nano S2 windy backyard flight (2 min 38 sec)

Old 04-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, the only thing I did with my Nano S2 today was stare at the USPS tracking site -- my S2 has been stuck in Sacramento for days, now!
Old 04-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Well, the only thing I did with my Nano S2 today was stare at the USPS tracking site -- my S2 has been stuck in Sacramento for days, now! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/mad.gif[/IMG]
That sucks; sorry. When I ordered mine from HorizonHobby it seemed like they sent it on the Pony Express. Took forever to get to me.

During that period I actually went to the LHS to just buy another because I was getting so impatient. Thankfully they hadn’t gotten a shipment either. Saved me $100.
Me_How likes this.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, my S2 finally arrived yesterday evening! So, I put 6 packs through it this morning, even though it was quite a bit more breezy than most Nanos would prefer, lol.

I'll say, Blade's stock 3D settings are pretty extreme compared to what I normally set up. I didn't bother with the Z and Safe modes at all, I went directly from TH to Idle2. But the amount of blade pitch at the end-points was much, much more than I would've thought is appropriate.

Strangely enough, though, it flew pretty well with those settings, especially in view of the wind. Such a large blade pitch is assured to cause some tail blow-outs, and indeed I did have one TBO incident. My fault, though, I go too carried away -- this can be avoided with some proper stick management. Also, I decided to reduce my PIT throws to 85%, at least for now. Still pretty lively at 85%.

Straight out of the box, I did notice at least one twitch in the air, just like the CPS, but not quite as pronounced. Noticeable, though. Also, mine shudders when it quickly drops altitude -- could be the ultra-loose feathering shaft and the blade balancing, though. I just don't know yet, but I recognize the behavior from my previous helis.

I couldn't really see if this S2 is more stable than my brushless CPS -- it was getting tossed around quite a bit by the wind the whole time. It does seem that the board is more effectively managing motor performance, however. It's basically the same motor as in the CPS, but it performs better in the S2. Again, , but I'll take it!

It does seem like the board is controlling more settings, regardless of the Tx. At first thought, I don't know why Blade has full negative blade pitch on Idle1 where the throttle goes to zero. Seems like it should, at least, have a flat throttle curve for Idle1. In any case, I look forward to fiddling around with the settings -- I would love to have two red-light modes instead of just one.

Finally, it goes without saying that this S2 will get a metal swash and a brushless main motor upgrade. I already have the parts, just have to find the time. It'll be interesting to see how the S2 performs with these upgrades.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Well, my S2 finally arrived yesterday evening! So, I put 6 packs through it this morning, even though it was quite a bit more breezy than most Nanos would prefer, lol.

I'll say, Blade's stock 3D settings are pretty extreme compared to what I normally set up. I didn't bother with the Z and Safe modes at all, I went directly from TH to Idle2. But the amount of blade pitch at the end-points was much, much more than I would've thought is appropriate.

Strangely enough, though, it flew pretty well with those settings, especially in view of the wind. Such a large blade pitch is assured to cause some tail blow-outs, and indeed I did have one TBO incident. My fault, though, I go too carried away -- this can be avoided with some proper stick management. Also, I decided to reduce my PIT throws to 85%, at least for now. Still pretty lively at 85%.

Straight out of the box, I did notice at least one twitch in the air, just like the CPS, but not quite as pronounced. Noticeable, though. Also, mine shudders when it quickly drops altitude -- could be the ultra-loose feathering shaft and the blade balancing, though. I just don't know yet, but I recognize the behavior from my previous helis.

I couldn't really see if this S2 is more stable than my brushless CPS -- it was getting tossed around quite a bit by the wind the whole time. It does seem that the board is more effectively managing motor performance, however. It's basically the same motor as in the CPS, but it performs better in the S2. Again, , but I'll take it!

It does seem like the board is controlling more settings, regardless of the Tx. At first thought, I don't know why Blade has full negative blade pitch on Idle1 where the throttle goes to zero. Seems like it should, at least, have a flat throttle curve for Idle1. In any case, I look forward to fiddling around with the settings -- I would love to have two red-light modes instead of just one.

Finally, it goes without saying that this S2 will get a metal swash and a brushless main motor upgrade. I already have the parts, just have to find the time. It'll be interesting to see how the S2 performs with these upgrades.

Will it take the CPX brushless upgrade or is this an DIY solution?

I also noticed the pitch was pretty extreme but it behaves so nicely I just let that be. Stock settings work perfect for me. I am trying to teach myself all orientations and closed box flying on the backyard and when I mess up my collective management this little guy for sure lets me know. But with so much pitch I can usually save it from death on the ground. Not always and it has many, many crashes. Only casualties have been the popping out of the landing gear and also the tail boom. I had to give it some more slack on the wires to push it hard in to avoid it from rotating. I also added Loctite to the spindle and it’s like a tank. I even smacked it against the side of the house and broke both bottom canopy pins. However the battery holds the bottom of the canopy so still flies fine. Can’t believe the abuse I’ve put it through and it keeps on going. Great heli. I fear when I repair my CPS it will end up as spares and me getting a second S2

Old 04-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My plan is to install the CPX bushless upgrade, BLH3225. I always trim the wires down and solder them to the board in an attempt to shave some weight off the upgrade.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I maidened my S2 today and flew a total of 14 flights, of which 7 were indoors. This is the first time I felt confident flying 3D indoors. Unlike other submicro helis, the S2 is very stable and precise with flips and rolls. There were a few tail blowouts though but overall I am very impressed with its precision.

I am very happy with this purchase, it is far better than the Nano CPX and CPS. I thought I was never going to buy a Blade heli again after a terrible experience with the mCPS.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, I installed the aluminum swash, thread locked the feathering shaft, and adjusted out as much slop as possible.

Still has the brushed motor. But, wow! This S2 is super stable. I'm not skilled enough to 3D indoors, but outside, yes I found turns and flips are very precise! This is going to be fun!
Old 04-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like most are really enjoying this Nano S2, myself included.

Stationary piros seem great.... but has anyone tried moving piros? Maybe it's just my flying ability, but I find the S2 doesn't respond that well to my cyclic commands if I'm in a stationary piro but then want it to move somewhere while still pirouetting. Almost like it's fighting me and trying to remain stationary.

My money is on it being me, not the heli, but just wanted to hear your experiences.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Such a good heli. Definitely saving up for a second one! Just ordered the new USB 1S Spektrum charger to avoid using those small ones that need to charge from my computer and take up all USB ports. Just burned three packs of inverted piro hover indoors practice. Man I can't believe I am liking this so much. Blade really hit it big with this one.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Three more packs. I finally broke something that affects performance BUT it kept on flying. Made for a more challenging training session

On a crash against a wall I broke the small pin that holds one of the "dampeners" of the FBL unit. So the vibration creates a slow wobble which goes fast if you use the rudder. So very interesting piro hover sessions

Now I need to order a frame. More than the cost it's the pain of those little screws and getting everything together again. Ugh. I also ordered my CPS shaft but I fear this will just cement the idea I need another S2 and just use the CPS canopy and tail fin.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just, Wow! I tried flying my brushless CPS, today, after having flown my S2 for a week, and I couldn't do it. The CPS felt so unstable compared to the S2, the CPS was all over the place!

After a few crashes that finally cooked my tail motor, I went back to the S2. Ahhh, so stable and easy to control even in the breeze. Looks like I might just absorb parts from the CPS to repair the S2 when needed, and then it'll be the S2 from hereon out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in