Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade Nano S2

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By toadiscoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Inverted crash with the S2!!!

So, my Nano S2 has been in need of a new main frame and a solid tail boom for quite a while, now. I kept on flying, though, by using an unfolded paper clip to replace the canopy posts, and even though the boom is like a wet noodle, the S2 was flying good enough for inverted practice.

Yesterday, I was hovering inverted just above the concrete, and for a moment I forgot about the wet noodle tail boom and tried to do an inverted punch-out just like I did with my 150X. Well, this caused an unrecoverable tail blow-out that put the S2 into the grass inverted.

This really did bend the crap out of the feathering shaft! I flew the rest of my batteries anyway. The tail fin was blurry and the vibes were enough to numb my fingers while holding the S2.

No worries, I just pulled an entire main rotor, aluminum swash and all, out of my CPS and popped it into the S2, took like 5 minutes.

Curiously, though, the vibes were just as bad!!! Just for good measure, I installed a totally straight feathering shaft. No change. Hmmm, maybe the brushless motor got bent? Doesn't look like it, but I replaced that anyways. No change. Hmmm ...

Can't see anything really all that wrong. Pulled off the tail blades and spooled up while holding the heli. Still vibrates, definitely main rotor related. New main blades. Nope, still numbs the fingers.

At this point, the only thing left to check is the main bearings or a crack in the main frame. I have spares of these parts, so no worries there.

But has anyone encountered this on any of the nanos? I searched, but found mostly feathering shaft talk, and I know that's not the issue here.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try holding the main gear and gently twisting the rotor hub. If there is too much play I would suggest checking the main shaft. It’s pretty rare to break one but it does happen. Also check the blade grips for any hairline cracks.

Lastly, did you ever end up changing the tail boom? If that boom is split really badly I can see it being an issue.
Chris1683 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'll double check the main gear, but the main shaft got replaced when I changed the main rotor.

Also, I have been able to rule out the tail boom as the source. I plan to change to a solid boom, but still that won't solve this particular issue.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any chance your brushless ESC got pushed to a weird position causing excessive vibe transfer to the FBL? Make sure the board has soft wiggle room in all directions.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’d also check the new main blades. It’s rare but if they aren’t stamped with the same number they may be slightly different weights. Most of the blades comes in matched pairs (although I’ve had many, many matched sets which I had to balance with a small square of tape to get a perfect vibration-free spool up/down)
Old 06-18-2019, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Two sets of good main blades made no difference. And they worked fine on the cps.

I had a spare brushless motor that I carefully installed. No change.

Also, the main bearings don't appear damaged. I'll have to pull them and check for gritty or binding performance.

Quite a puzzle, lol.

Thanks for pondering this with me.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Inverted crash with the S2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
Any chance your brushless ESC got pushed to a weird position causing excessive vibe transfer to the FBL? Make sure the board has soft wiggle room in all directions.

This look okay?

And at this point, what is the same? Servos, frame, main gear, boards,..
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 12:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, all those parts are the same, for now. Hasn't been any change in the wiggle room thing, either. One broken lower post, held by rubber, and a paper clip for the upper posts. Was working fine before though.

The thought has occurred that maybe something happened to the board, but I have no way of knowing yet. Hope not!
Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have an unused S2 board. Let me know if you want it.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is very kind of you! Thank you!

I'm not sure this board is toast yet. I'll report back what I find.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only other thing I would check are the servos. If they got damaged in the crash its possible the little brass nut at the top of the servo may need to be tightened. I would check if there is any notable up/down play on the pushrods. That can easily cause vibrations or shakes.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm pretty sure the bearings are allowing the main shaft to flop around. I'll know more once I tear into things, but my S2's bearings are a fat lot looser than my CPS's bearings.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Must have been one massive crash... and into grass no less.

Good luck with the bearings.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I crashed mine like third flight or so since new. I think it's always had shakes (blurry tail fin). Never really cared to be honest. So probably could fly better but I haven't tried to fly it again. Been going to the field and flying the 150X instead

But want to know how you sort it out and what things to check our for when I go back to the S2 and try to eliminate the vibes.
navigator2011 likes this.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, got it fixed. No doubt the feathering shaft was super bent and the frame was missing three posts.

What I couldn't figure out was the crazy vibes after fixing the feathering shaft and checking everything else out. For one thing, I have a torn lower grommet. So, apparently the rx doesn't like dangling from one grommet. It can live with two, however.

But still, the vibes! Tail fin was blurring up the a 1/4"! Turns out the spare set of S2 blades were causing the vibes. I put on a spare set of bullet blades from the cps, and it's now smooth as can be expected.

Weird thing, though. My tail boom was feeling super squishy, but I can't find any cracks anywhere, even with a magnifier. Put on a solid boom anyway. But still, I wonder what's up with that?
Old 06-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad you figured out it was the blades. The guess they were unbalanced somehow?

As for the squishy tail, is it squishy in flight? Could it just be a worn out tail motor? Or do you mean it bends a lot when you physically move it?
Old 06-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I twist the tail motor. I can tell by feel when the boom is cracked. I mean, usually, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in