Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade Nano S2

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Who wants to see a video with bad framing!? No one! But I did do my first inverted piros today. Ugly has hell. But meh.

Nano S2 is great!

Inverted piro on Blade Nano S2 — First successful attempts — 2019-05-05 (5 min 4 sec)

Last edited by xoexoe; 05-05-2019 at 06:04 PM..
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My nano S2 was getting beat up. Two broken canopy mounts (one of which is an FBL mount), random twitches in the air due to that damage, etc etc. I don’t treat it well. It’s my sim. For me personally with my skill level, S2 > Heli-X > AccuRC

So I went to my LHS and bought a new S2. Before doing anything else I boiled the skids, thread-locked my feathering shaft overnight (thanks again Nav), and installed my MicroHeli swash. Left the stock blades, both main and tail, on this new purchase. I noticed I had to adjust my TX’s pitch limits more toward the default 100/100 and the subtrim more toward 0. My first must have been reeeally off.

On my original S2 I had installed my KBDD blades immediately. So this was my first time flying with stock bullet blades.

This baby is sooooooo smooth and stable. Not going to change a thing. Other than the throttle hold issue, I’m not sure how you could improve this thing. (Brushless, fine..)

My first S2 will be spare parts for my new one.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

I CA’d my canopy post. Those things are so fragile. Then again it smacked against the basketball pole hehe. But it’s so good and perfect for training.

The repair is not that bad. Max of an hour to change the frame. I abandoned my CPS to S2 project so I have an extra frame but I will just CA until it takes no more on my current one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did finally break my landing skids. Was flying some circuits in my driveway ... not really enough room there due to trees / house / bitchy neighbors. Got out of shape and had to hit TH. It smacked down on the cement. I now have glow in the dark skids as that was the replacement the LHS had
darren.ankney@gmail.com is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds neat!

If you ever go back to the stock skids, just boil them for a few minutes. They become infinitely more forgiving in crashes.
[email protected] likes this.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:21 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’ve only been practicing inverted piros for the past couple weeks. About 5 packs per day, 5 days per week. My first lame successful attempt was about 16 days ago (video above). Now I’m doing them both directions without crashing, and usually staying in a 10x10 foot square I’d estimate. Very happy.

After I have those down firmly in a month or two, I’m wondering if I should go to circuits next (I’m horrible at them, both upright and inverted) or work on flips in all orientations (I’ve been favoring only right aileron flips starting from tail in).

Hmmm!!
Old 05-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
I’ve only been practicing inverted piros for the past couple weeks. About 5 packs per day, 5 days per week. My first lame successful attempt was about 16 days ago (video above). Now I’m doing them both directions without crashing, and usually staying in a 10x10 foot square I’d estimate. Very happy.

After I have those down firmly in a month or two, I’m wondering if I should go to circuits next (I’m horrible at them, both upright and inverted) or work on flips in all orientations (I’ve been favoring only right aileron flips starting from tail in).

Hmmm!!

Wait ... you can hover in all orientations inverted (i'm assuming you mean the slow spinning of the heli while inverted)? I'm jealous.

I can fly forward flight figure 8s (assuming that's what you mean by circuits) in any direction (towards me / away / across in front of me) but can't do anything upside down (or backwards flight figure 8s) Not that i've really tried inverted hover much - but the times i did, it ended badly (in sim thankfully).
darren.ankney@gmail.com is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, slow spinning (yawing) of the heli while upside down.

But don't worry. I'm jealous of your circuit skills. I can't do smooth circles or do smooth figure eights in any orientation. I just never practice them, so when I do it's pretty bad looking. Usually the first half of my motion is circular. Then the second half starts to get away from me, going behind me, so I need to make the circle into a rounded rectangle.
[email protected] likes this.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What did you do with your Nano S2 today?

I can do upright and inverted piro hover, static hover (in all 4 basic orientations), circuits upright, backwards and inverted but they are all ugly. Uncomfortable orientations I have to think and focus really hard. I should probably have spent more time practicing the basic piros. It’s hard and boring but I try to return to them always. Now with the S2 I can do that on real life as that practice was reserved for the sim. It has helped me a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have to admit I am starting to develop a love/hate relationship with this little guy. Today I flew 6 packs on the park.

Light wind kept it hard to make it stay on a line but overall was flying well. Too many crashes and tons of vibration so it was twitchy sometimes and even had a tail blowout.

But that is not the real problem. First the love. I just crash it and crash it, and crash it a bit more and just keeps on going. On all my flying and crashing today only the paper/carboard-ish tail fin got bent and I bent it back. Just keeps on going over and over. I was flying over tall grass and the downer was to walk towards it and reset for another go.

But the problem is it shows just how much of a crap pilot I am. Because it doesn't have power you have to be very precise to keep it on a line. Over-use the sticks and it quickly goes down. Push collective and it may just bog and not miss the ground. So it's stable but underpowered so you have to be really good to draw nice lines on the sky.

So I love it because it's very crash resilient but hate it because it shows just how much of a crap pilot I really am.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:15 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not underpowered with the brushless upgrade, lol.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
But the problem is it shows just how much of a crap pilot I am. Because it doesn't have power you have to be very precise to keep it on a line. Over-use the sticks and it quickly goes down. Push collective and it may just bog and not miss the ground. So it's stable but underpowered so you have to be really good to draw nice lines on the sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
It's not underpowered with the brushless upgrade, lol.

I originally started flying with the Nano CPS which uses the same brushed main and tail motors as the S2. I always thought the same about it being underpowered when I was first learning to fly. I quickly learned that the brushed motors can wear out fast with overuse and not allowing a few minutes between packs to let them cool down.

The next thing is that I started upgrading all of my Nano's to brushless. The brushless main is without a doubt more powerful than the stock Nano brushed motor. With that being said, I have found that both fly very similar when you become good with the collective. Even the stock brushed motor is capable of some strong 3D so long as you're not maxing out the sticks.

If you are having issues with tail blow outs and you think that your motors are okay, check the tail blade and most importantly, check the feathering spindle. When learning with the Nano, its good practice to have a few extra spindles on hand because once they bend, any fast changes in collective leads to tail blow out and really erratic flying behavior.
Chris1683 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks! That actually makes a lot of sense. I have crashed that thing a ton and the spindle is very likely bent at this point. I will have to check for that.

Still I think this heli is kind of what they say about nitro, it really forces you to have good collective management which feels like it's an art. I can flip and fly inverted no problem so I tried the Ethan Ater hotel room flight (of course not as awesome as he does it) just flipping and holding an inverted hover. I couldn't even do that. After a couple of crashes I just did some upright piro hover training to drain the batteries I had charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1683 View Post
If you are having issues with tail blow outs and you think that your motors are okay, check the tail blade and most importantly, check the feathering spindle. When learning with the Nano, its good practice to have a few extra spindles on hand because once they bend, any fast changes in collective leads to tail blow out and really erratic flying behavior.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will say that it bogs down if you drop fast and then reverse direction. I don't really do any 3D tho ... I had it upside down .. once .. for about 1 second. Then I brought it back upright. I am not good at that stuff
Old 05-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

New piro practice video for me!

I used my crappy batteries, so slightly more bogging than usual. Only charged them to 4.15 volts because they come down around 3.82 V after 4 minutes.

Cats came to visit me about half way through.

Inverted piro practice with Blade Nano S2 — 2019-05-23 (4 min 5 sec)
Old 05-24-2019, 12:23 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh yeah! That looks fun!
rcflyair is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

nice flying xoexoe - i cannot do that
Old 05-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great job, xoexoe! I put six packs through my S2 this morning, before work. Now I wanna do six more, lol.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flying before work sounds really nice. I would do that too since sunrise here is around 5:20 AM now.... Except that I get woken up everyday at 5:45 AM by my 3 year old asking for food.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dang xoexoe that was pretty good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in