Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade Nano S2

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nano s2 maiden

Just flew Nano s2 tonight out in my garage. Full 3D mode (flight mode 2) (no stability help) Tail in hover only. Was easier to fly than any of the models i've tried on the AccuRC sim even.

Had one crash and that was when I hit the cyclic hard right as I was wondering if it was actually in the 3D mode ... it was No damage though.
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.ankney@gmail.com View Post
Just flew Nano s2 tonight out in my garage. Full 3D mode (flight mode 2) (no stability help) Tail in hover only. Was easier to fly than any of the models i've tried on the AccuRC sim even.

Had one crash and that was when I hit the cyclic hard right as I was wondering if it was actually in the 3D mode ... it was [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif[/IMG] No damage though.
Nice! I love that your crash was because “Naaah cant be this easy.”
xoexoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 04:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes - I was extremely surprised at how easy this flew compared to the MSR S ... that thing was a nightmare to fly unless you had it in safe mode. Admittedly I hadn't done any simming then. It was also a fixed pitch setup. But it was not smooth at all!
Old 04-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good deal! This S2 turned out everything I always wanted on a heli this size. I never thought they would actually turn out to be good on that size. But really to crash over and over again is really priceless. Takes away that "fear of crashing" that is so prevalent on larger helis. It's like flying the sim just for real.
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love the S2 but don’t like that HorizonHobby overlooked the throttle hold issue, loose FS, and too high pitch (in my opinion).

After fixing those it’s amazing!
xoexoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

XoeXoe, I totally agree. The good thing is that all of those issues are relatively quick and easy to fix now that we have them identified. Just a really enjoyable model after dialing it in. And as I think about it, I’ve never owned a heli that I didn’t have to do some experimenting and dialing in to get it optimized!
Ric66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 11:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question:

When I use the sim (AccuRC) ... no matter which model (I think - i haven't tried every single one), whatever direction I apply cyclic, the helicopter tilts in that direction until i supply opposite cyclic.

When I fly the nano s2 in "stunt 2" (as the dx8 g2 verbally announces), if I apply cyclic, the helicopter will move in that direction but if I let off, it doesn't stay tilted. I do have some carbon fiber training gear attached (1mm poles with plastic bb at each end - about the width of the blades in x pattern). The light is red on the helicopter indicating full 3D mode I believe. 0 pitch is middle on the collective stick - i have both positive and negative pitch.

What is the deal there? I thought it would stay tilted like in the sim. Some helicopters do some don't? sim is not so accurate? nano s2 flies differently? Not in 3D mode like i think? Training gear is weighing it down? Something else?
Old 04-16-2019, 03:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Only in mode 3 (when the LED on it turns red) is the S2 fully out of stability mode.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Only in mode 3 (when the LED on it turns red) is the S2 fully out of stability mode.

Yes. Transmitter announces the modes as "normal" , "stunt 1" , "stunt 2"

LED on nano s2 is blue in normal and red when transmitter says "stunt 2" Not sure what color in the second mode as I did not pay attention.

The dx8 g2 display shows "normal" with switch b at pos 0. "flight mode 1" with switch b at pos 1. "flight mode 2" with switch b at pos 2.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have never tested that. Give it cyclic and leave it there. But it feels like I do have to be on top of it to return it to level and continue flipping it and playing with it. Right now I can't test well due to the vibrations after smacking it too much but I will give it a shot when I can. Shoot me an email and I can email you back my transmitter file. I have the 3D mode separated on a switch and also low and high rates on another as well as TH and TC on a single switch. For me works well.
Podcast host Skids Up
Old 04-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
I have never tested that. Give it cyclic and leave it there. But it feels like I do have to be on top of it to return it to level and continue flipping it and playing with it. Right now I can't test well due to the vibrations after smacking it too much but I will give it a shot when I can. Shoot me an email and I can email you back my transmitter file. I have the 3D mode separated on a switch and also low and high rates on another as well as TH and TC on a single switch. For me works well.

What about on your larger helis? If you give it forward cyclic, does the helicopter body tilt forward and stay there until you provide reverse cyclic? Thats what happens in the sim (AccuRC) ... but does not work that way on my nano S2 ... it will continue to move forward but the body returns to level as soon as i let off cyclic ... I'm just trying to figure out why or if its normal and the sim is wrong or what
Old 04-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know that's the behavior but honestly I haven't tested it like that. I have to give it a shot to test that exact case.
Podcast host Skids Up
Old 04-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will try to compare the swashplate behavior in the nano s2 with the swashplate behavior in AccuRC to see if I can see any difference based on transmitter input. Will be difficult tho on a computer screen

By the way, I appreciate the offer of the transmitter file, but I don't want to change anything until I understand what is happening.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was not able to look at the swashplate on AccuRC while flying as its movements don't appear to be visually simulated there. The swash is visually simulated in the "workshop". If I apply forward cyclic and let off, the swash very slowly returns to level.

I did the same on the nano s2. Regardless of mode, the swash quickly returns to level after letting off cyclic. That was while having Throttle hold (and throttle cut) on. I was kinda nervous to spool it up while holding it even tho it is small
Old 04-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is normal. I am no expert but what the FBL is trying to do is to keep the heli stable. When the blades are rotating, the swash can be all over the place. So the FBL unit will try to correct and keep the swash level. Not level to perfect horizon but level to where you want it to track. Which is why I believe people say FBL unit helis feel more robotic and precise than the old flybar helis which used counter weight to achieve a similar effect.

Self-leveling would take this one step forward and figure out where level horizon is and attempt to return to that always. So in theory if you let go of the cyclic the heli would attempt to return but slowly so it would drift but not remain there unless you keep feeding cyclic. Self-level would be much more aggressive on this and attempt to return as soon as possible to level without cyclic.

Actually testing "FBL corrections" is a standard point in many people's pre-flight checklist (including me). Tilting the heli would cause the swash to always try to return to horizon level while the rotor is not turning and you are just tilting it with your hand. Incorrect corrections here cause a very quick destruction of the heli as soon as it gets light on the skids.

Quote:
I was not able to look at the swashplate on AccuRC while flying as its movements don't appear to be visually simulated there. The swash is visually simulated in the "workshop". If I apply forward cyclic and let off, the swash very slowly returns to level.

I did the same on the nano s2. Regardless of mode, the swash quickly returns to level after letting off cyclic. That was while having Throttle hold (and throttle cut) on. I was kinda nervous to spool it up while holding it even tho it is small
Podcast host Skids Up
Old 04-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
This is normal. I am no expert but what the FBL is trying to do is to keep the heli stable. When the blades are rotating, the swash can be all over the place. So the FBL unit will try to correct and keep the swash level. Not level to perfect horizon but level to where you want it to track. Which is why I believe people say FBL unit helis feel more robotic and precise than the old flybar helis which used counter weight to achieve a similar effect.

Self-leveling would take this one step forward and figure out where level horizon is and attempt to return to that always. So in theory if you let go of the cyclic the heli would attempt to return but slowly so it would drift but not remain there unless you keep feeding cyclic. Self-level would be much more aggressive on this and attempt to return as soon as possible to level without cyclic.

Actually testing "FBL corrections" is a standard point in many people's pre-flight checklist (including me). Tilting the heli would cause the swash to always try to return to horizon level while the rotor is not turning and you are just tilting it with your hand. Incorrect corrections here cause a very quick destruction of the heli as soon as it gets light on the skids.

Ok - so probably is the weight from the training gear causing the different behavior when compared to the AccuRC sim. (or perhaps the AccuRC sim, with its fully simulated FBL controller, is setup differently than the nano S2 causing different behavior)
Old 04-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would take the training gear off. This heli is VERY resilient to crashing if you land on grass. It also is teaching me the importance of a quick TH reflex although I admit more than once I have hit it after it fell. Good thing the motor locks up and it doesn't have enough power to damage itself more.

Quote:
Ok - so probably is the weight from the training gear causing the different behavior when compared to the AccuRC sim. (or perhaps the AccuRC sim, with its fully simulated FBL controller, is setup differently than the nano S2 causing different behavior)
Podcast host Skids Up
Old 04-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are worried about breaking the landing skids just put a piece of tape across them. It works good and costs nothing.

BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its more because i'm following this training program (or will be once it isn't all rainy/windy/cold outside all the time) There is a video about halfway down the page that shows the first flying lesson:

https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-h...ning-gear.html

Right now just tail in hover in the garage. training gear has saved the main rotors when I got out of shape a couple times.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did some testing of the three modes in the garage last night.

"Normal (safe)" mode results in the helicopter violently returning to level flight as soon as you let off the controls. It even appears to apply opposite cyclic to more or less stop momentum.

"Flight Mode 1 (Stunt 1)" mode still appears to apply some corrective cyclic when you let off the controls, just less of it. Also, negative pitch becomes available, but the manual still had you set 0-100% throttle so there is no (or not much) throttle available at the negative pitch. Kinda strange.

"Flight Mode 2 (Stunt 2)" mode flies nice and smooth. No overly corrective cyclic when letting off the controls or anything.

I don't know how I could have ever questioned if it was in the correct mode or not after making that comparison test last night.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in