Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By xoexoe
  • 1 Post By Psycho_dad
  • 1 Post By BrokeDad
  • 3 Post By brianbremer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Repairing crashed 230s v1

Hello!

A little over a year ago I crashed my 230s and put it aside to handle personal stuff. The bug has bitten again and I want to get her back up in the air.

My question is, can I use the newer 230s V2 parts or should I source V1 parts?

Damaged parts I notice are: small crack in frame near battery mount, broken linkage to main rotor, severed wires from esc, major bent tail boom.

First time crashing the 230s from what I remember so not too sure on how to approach repair.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
danielwow12 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

That damage sounds reparable if you want to save money.

Some V2 parts appear to be compatible with V1. Here is one way to tell. Go to the HorizonHobby page for the 230 S V2. Select parts, then find the item you need, click that to open the page for the 240 S V2 part, then click on Overview to see what it’s compatible with.

Take the tail boom for example. I went to the 230 S V2 page and found the tail boom part. The page says it’s compatible with BLH1500, which is the model number for the V1.

Maybe an easier way is to find the V1 manual. It should have an exploded view of your heli that lists all part numbers. Type those part numbers you need into Hh’s site and see if they are still sold.

Boom and grip link can likely be replaced just buy buying new ones. As for crack in frame, I’d just superglue the hell out of it. I’m pretty sure that’s how my V2 frame is still holding together.

Severed wires can be fixed if you know how to solder. If you don’t know how to solder, and if you want to eventually move into kits like Oxy/Goblin/Whatever, it’s well worth the time and money to get a soldering gun or iron and learn, in my opinion. The cost of a cheap iron will be less than a new HH ESC. I wouldn’t get too cheap of an iron, but you know what I mean.

Consider too the time to actually repair it. It will be easier and faster just to get a V2.
Scorny and Me_How like this.

Next heli I want: Oxy 5 light build on 6S

Last edited by xoexoe; 04-16-2019 at 10:33 PM..
xoexoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to explain this! I was thinking it might be best to just go for the v2 as well. I built up a trex 450 many years ago, but its easy to forget a lot of this stuff with how fast things change.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

the way I compare parts:

1/ go to horizon hobby website and open manual 230S V1 pdf-file
https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/BLH1500-Manual-EN.pdf

2/ go to horizon hobby website and open manual 230S V2 pdf-file
https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/BLH1400-Manual-EN.pdf

you can now compare part listings (page 19-20 for the V1 // page 20-21 for the V2)

hope it helped in a way... when in doubt, don't hesitate and pop the question
xoexoe likes this.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice. Even better.

Next heli I want: Oxy 5 light build on 6S
xoexoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 230S was the first heli I ever totally rebuilt. So if I could do it back then you can too. It's so simple to work on.
lucidchaos likes this.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

All of the v2 mechanical parts cross compatible. V2 parts are recommended due to the improvements.

The associated electronics have a few rules;

a) v2 ar636 and v1 esc, not supported, could be done with gain adjustments but no valid reason to do this.

b) v1 ar636 and v2 esc, requires gain adjustments and performs well. There is a post in this forum detailing the gain changes required.

c) The v1/v2 ar636 are the same electronics but v2 uses the aluminum lower case, for this reason the v2 firmware cannot be used in the v1 ar636. For the same reason the v1 firmware should not be used in the v2 ar636.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Brian Bremer
Horizon Hobby, LLC
jackovart, Me_How and Hemidoo like this.

Last edited by brianbremer; 04-18-2019 at 04:08 PM..
brianbremer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just ran up a quote on the repairs based on online pricing at horizon. Looks like I'll be out ~$80 to get it back in the air. This includes replacing the tail motor and getting new main gear/main shaft as a precaution (can't tell by looking, just assuming its bent).

Really unlucky that the boom getting bent somehow severed the tail motor wires inside the boom. I could probably solder extra wire on, but I think i'll just replace it.

Replacements for those curious: main shaft, main gear, main rotor blade grips, main rotor linkages, main rotor blades, tail blades, tail boom, tail motor, and tail mount.

What a doozy of a first crash
Old 04-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The boom must be pretty badly bent to sever the wires. If the boom is kinked then it needs to be replaced. If it is just bent a little you can carefully straighten it. I would solder new wires to the tail motor otherwise its a pretty expensive repair for a couple of broken wires.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation

This sounds to me like a bunch of spares rather than base for a new unit. What's left is canopy, ESC, receiver, skids and a swash plate. Did I forget tail fin and AR guide?

If this was your first crash what did you do? Hit a running train?
Me_How is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know money doesn't grow on trees but if you could find a way.... my advice would be to get a new 230S V2 rather than putting $80 into a V1. Get back to having fun flying and throw your V1 in to a parts drawer.... artgsc
artgsc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had never used the "rescue" before. I was doing a loop and while upside down, completing the loop, I must have leaned on the aileron and ended up in the dirt.

Upon further inspection, 2/3 of the tail motor wires got severed from the boom sliding in its little slot. The way those wires feed down allows them to get cut with a hard enough boom hit.

Total repairs only were about $40 after all. My main blades were in good shape as well.

My next issue is that after installing the new main rotor grips, they aren't smooth. There is this grittiness to their movement. I took extra care to make sure the order of the bearings/spacers were correct. Could this be a bent spindle rod?

Thanks guy!
Old 04-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got both V1 and V2, and there isn't much difference; ther strong frame front is best improvement. I'd spend $80 to repair before $2.5x for new. You're going to crash again and again. The money is in the esc and rec., then the motors. If they're good, repair w/o question.
As to boom, if the tail motor face is close to square with the frame, fly it. I've re-bent a boom with 3 different bends in it and flew it. Repair the frame with tooth picks and glue... whatever to get it in the air.
RCFred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in