Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade Nano S2

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Too stable?

Say, has anyone tried flying something else after having flown the S2 for quite a while, only to find your skills somewhat reduced?

I've spent nearly a month, putting dozens of packs through the S2 strictly in 3D mode, and all has seemed well. Last couple of days, however, it's been raining and so I returned to my simulator. I was shocked to find that my skills in the sim are nowhere near as controlled as they were a month ago, before starting with the S2.

Sure, it could just be a bad couple of days, but I doubt it. The only other time this seemed to happen was after flying the Nano CPS in Safe mode--that was like undoing things I had already learned! But I have been in 3D mode with the S2. I look forward to flying my 150X tomorrow to see if my skills with that one have been truly deprecated.

Anyone else experience something like this?
Thomas.Heiss likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I only have sim (AccuRC) and nano s2. Nano s2 is easier to fly than all but the goblin 770 in the sim... goblin 770 is ALMOST as easy to fly as nano s2. I'm wondering how it compares to real life larger helicopters actually...

EDIT: all in 3D mode (sim and nano s2)
darren.ankney@gmail.com is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Almost all of my quality learning has been with an Oxy3 model in Heli-X. After flying my 150X in real life, though, I felt like the Oxy3 in the sim was just too easy, boring even. But after flying the S2 for the last month, I'm all over the place with the Oxy3 in the sim.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

yea - i definitely have a short learning curve in the sim after flying the nano s2 in my garage
darren.ankney@gmail.com is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You’re all making me feel bad about my progress with the Nano S2! Shhh!

I haven’t had a chance to fly anything else due to broken bits, missing FBLs, and time.

But the Nano S2 does seem ridiculously stable.

Aug 2019: Oxy 3+ — Oxy 2 — Nano S2 & CP X — T-Rex 150X — Spirit FBL — FrSky Horus X10S
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will find out soon ... ordered a 360cfx for taking to the flying field.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I completely agree. I’ve been flying my trex 150X and the simulator lately and I just got the nano s2 into the air today with a microheli swashplate.

It is insanely stable in 3D mode, to the point where it feels like I’m flying in stability mode. I suspect that the FBL unit has quite a bit of expo built in, hence the recommended 0 expo in the TX configuration.
tembit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I will find out soon ... ordered a 360cfx for taking to the flying field.

It’s been a while since I’ve flown my 360 cfx, but the nano s2 seems more stable in IU2 than the 360 cfx.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, so I put 7 packs through my 150X this morning before work. Granted, I have a couple of sim days under my belt since flying the S2, but all in, I wasn't too much of a mess with the 150X.

Certainly, the 150X is much more agile in the cyclic area, but also much smoother in the pitch area than the Nano S2. This may be a lack of slop on the part of the 150X. In any case, it didn't seem to take me much time adjusting to the greater agility of the 150X.

I did find that 150X a bit intimidating by comparison, however. It seems so much more powerful and noisy than the S2 that I, sort of, tense up and then forget my training. This caused me to crash the 150X twice while flying inverted--once tail-in into a planter area and once I lost it behind the flight-line, hit TH and it dropped against my fence with a loud "thud." The servo savers saved the servos very well. Minor adjustments put me right back into the air.

In the end, I walked away feeling that I probably have a lot more to learn from the Nano S2. Alternatively, I could likely just learn by continuing to fly the 150X and pushing through my mental barriers, but practicing on the S2 might make learning new stuff easier. I suppose it's a choice, really.

But at least I now know that flying the S2 won't undo my skills with all my other helis.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

wow - i've been inverted in sim but never with my nano s2 ... Though I do admit that i'm really not interested in 3D flying so have more focused on flying about in a slow manner trying to make it fly as much like a full size helicopter as I can with my limited skill..
Old 05-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
I did find that 150X a bit intimidating by comparison, however. It seems so much more powerful and noisy than the S2 that I, sort of, tense up and then forget my training. This caused me to crash the 150X twice while flying inverted--once tail-in into a planter area and once I lost it behind the flight-line, hit TH and it dropped against my fence with a loud "thud." The servo savers saved the servos very well. Minor adjustments put me right back into the air.
Oh man this describes me exactly. I could do flips all day on my Nano and not care. Now put anything bigger in front of me — 150 X, Oxy 2, Oxy 4 — my brain gets all cloudy from intimidation and I forget how to do what I should do. Ugh.

Also, I fly my Nano and 150 X at basically chest level, which means I can see the top of the heli. But my bigger helis I fly much higher for safety. I find that the different perspective — viewing from below vs viewing from above — messes with me too.

The fix is definitely to fly bigger helis lower to the ground, not the other way around. Only live once!

Aug 2019: Oxy 3+ — Oxy 2 — Nano S2 & CP X — T-Rex 150X — Spirit FBL — FrSky Horus X10S
Old 05-01-2019, 04:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, I hear ya. I usually just try to push through it.

Funny enough--after the two crashes, today, I started flying better. I guess I worked the nerves out of my system, lol.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Too stable?

Has anyone tried putting negative expo on the cyclic? That might make it feel a bit less docile.

I’ll give it a go after work. Perhaps I’m becoming an adrenaline junky flying the 150X 😆. It fees so good to put those nerves aside and just fly like I do in the sim.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hit the sim last night after maybe a week of only flying nano s2 ... wow i was rusty in it. I'm very curious to see if flying the 360cfx feels anything like the sim as the nano s2 does not.

The sim, the helicopter tilts, then it starts moving. It also stays tilted at whatever angle. It feels very mushy. The nano s2 it tilts and moves at the same time. I find this giving me better visual feed back and I don't over control as much.
carlos64030 likes this.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Put 6 more packs through the 150X this morning. It was a good day--I was able to do a bunch of inverted hovering and orientation work that I learned by flying the Nano S2 and the Nano CPS.

So, even if I have to spend a week adapting to larger helis after concentrating on the Nano S2, it seems worth it. The S2 is just so educational! There's simply no way I could do the things I did this morning if I hadn't spent time practicing on my Nano S2!

My plan is to continue practicing with the Nano S2 until inverted flying seems easy (or at lease easier). Even if the S2 is overly stable, the skills I learn with the S2 will transfer over to other helis.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like my Nano but I keep breaking it a lot as I push it. But the lack of power of the motor is my problem. To me works best for orientation training under very, very low wind conditions. Last time I went out when it was kind of windy I returned with a broken skid post (I flew it like that regardless just careful when spooling up) and a broken FBL post (that one seems like introduced some vibration). I will try some CA on it. I have another frame that I was going to use in my CPS to S2 conversion but I dropped that project.

I went back to the sim yesterday and boy either the AccuRC guys tweaked their new Drake 700 to perfection or I got better and my lines were much better. I usually crashed more often when trying the type of flight I did and I was really consistent in avoiding the ground. Uploaded to my YT channel if anyone cares to take a peek.

Definitely the time simming and translating to the S2 before trying on the big ones has helped me a lot.
acidkindred likes this.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just saw your video--great job!!!

In my area, the breeze/wind is a daily factor. So, I've learned to practice everything regardless of the wind. Don't know what HH programmed into the S2, but it sure does seem to handle the wind very well.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks! Yes it does handle wind well but just hovering and moving around. When I push inverted circuits it starts getting away from me and then have to push it to get away from the ground on gusts. But for sure I am not used to it so it's also finesse and handling the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Just saw your video--great job!!!

In my area, the breeze/wind is a daily factor. So, I've learned to practice everything regardless of the wind. Don't know what HH programmed into the S2, but it sure does seem to handle the wind very well.
[email protected] likes this.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Too stable?

Back to the main topic... I have been flying my Nano S2 almost exclusively for a couple weeks. Tried flying my Oxy 2 today. WOW it felt really sensitive. At first I thought something was wrong with it. After a battery it was fine. But sheesh!

I might add expo to make the Nano S2 more sensitive around midstick.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

For that exact reason I prefer a nano cps above a S2. The S2 feels too stable, even in idle 2 (3D-mode).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in