Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade Fusion 180

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2019, 12:22 AM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GDW servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I maidened my modified Fusion 180 today. It runs on 3S with a 180CFX motor, has a micro Brain controller and a 760Hz GDW tail servo. I had to use another tail servo because the stock servo was DOA. I can sense it is going to be as bad as the old 180CFX tail servo.

There was ample power with the 3S setup. Although I had a use a 100% flat curve as 75% was clearly not enough. I fly an Oxy2 with 1911 motor and an Oxy3 on 6S and so I am used to high power setups. I cannot comment so much on the flight characteristics as the heli needs dialing in. I was getting quite a lot of cyclic shakes and tail wags.

I can comment though that the heli looks more robust than the 180CFX.
Hey zadaw, how do you go with your second GDW ds295mg? Did you manage to get it going at 760us? I've just got one but it was unresponsive when set at 760us. I thought it was DOA. I changed it to 1520us and it seems to work fine.
freakystyleynz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Both my GDW 295mg work fine on 760us. I am surprised that yours work on 1520.

I tried using the lighter Blue Arrow HUS0988-i but it wasn't durable.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went out to AMA field today and one of my goals was to get the tail solid on this 180 fusion with stock fbl. Guess what?? No luck. I tried adjusting all PID gains seperately and together in numerous ways and adjusting gyro gains in tx a lot for each new PID setting I tried.. still no luck at higher headspeeds. I managed to make it worse but not better really. I even tried extremes like down to -75 in tx and down to 0 on PID gains in fbl (stock set at 100) and still shook like crazy at high headspeed on tail stops. I have lost all hope that the stock tail and fbl will work on this heli above 65% throttle. low HS flight the tail is ok but I cant 3D with it really.

Also last weekend I went thru servo and swash setup with a swash leveler and set zero blade pitch at 50% (i did this in case factory wasn't spot on. It was close but not perfect). I expected it to fly better. It flew worse wanting to drift backwards a lot. No idea why bc when in servo centering mode it's perfectly level using a swash level.

So.. As much as I hate to replace it I think the ar6335 fbl/rx needs to go. that sucks imo. Its ok for slow headspeed sport flying but I cant get it to stop the high speed tail oscillations at 70% throttle or higher.

I really wish blade would get it right. The only blade helis Ive ever had that had a solid tail was any that ran with an AR7200 or AR7210 bx and honestly the old 130x tail was solid until you crashed it. Ive owned many other blade helis and have had tail problems on each one, even the highly praised 230s blows out if taxed much. 130s was a joke too on the tail. My Chinese v911 heli holds solid.. the k110 is pretty good. But my blade nano cps? Its ok but has random tail twitches so i cant trust it. i just dont get it!

I also built a 300x beater all stock except esc and it flew perfect w ar7200bx first shot today. But ar6335? it either hates me or it just sucks. Its a great idea if they can get it to fly as good as even the old 130x as3x did.

I have a feeling that one uikon and this heli will be on rails. I love the airframe. I love the idea of the ar6335 programming w access to servo centering and PID gains. Very simple.. it just needs to fly right.

Anyone get the stock tail and fbl to hold well over 70% throttle on hard tail stops? If so what is your magic??
Old 09-04-2019, 09:04 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indokast View Post
even the highly praised 230s blows out if taxed much.
The V2 doesn't. It's much improved and quite solid over the V1. It's actually pretty amazing for an electric tail motor design. Blade nailed it on that one. I especially know because I upgraded my V1 to a V2 a piece at a time (ESC first, flight controller next, etc) and could see the improvements each time. Personally, I think the new ESC running BLHeli firmware made the biggest difference in the tail hold/feel. The new flight controller allows smooth takeoffs without the heli always wanting to tip over. I can now take mine off with nothing but collective input only.
Indokast likes this.
Sigluvr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2019, 12:14 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigluvr View Post
The V2 doesn't. It's much improved and quite solid over the V1. It's actually pretty amazing for an electric tail motor design. Blade nailed it on that one. I especially know because I upgraded my V1 to a V2 a piece at a time (ESC first, flight controller next, etc) and could see the improvements each time. Personally, I think the new ESC running BLHeli firmware made the biggest difference in the tail hold/feel. The new flight controller allows smooth takeoffs without the heli always wanting to tip over. I can now take mine off with nothing but collective input only.

That is good to know. I would love to try a v2 and I have heard they hold better. I actually flew my 230s night version today and it flew really well but i only did gentle big air stuff. Its when I smacked my old 230s it would blow out a couple feet over the ground and I believe every crash I ever had on that was due to tail kicking out. I do like the heli tho. 230s night is a fun heli and I think they weight of the batteries on the blades makes it fly better. I would like a v2 but not sure if I will everyl own one. I'd def pick up a 230s v2 over the new mcpx BL2 at their price points if size did not matter. At the end of the day I just built a new 300x and still have a ton of spares which is why Im not in market for a 230s v2 really. plus i have my oxy helis.

On the other hand.. I pulled off the stock rx/fbl tonight on 180 fusion and dropped a uikon and sat in it. its programmed and ready to try again. I put tail servo back on original second hole servo arm so when i test it the only difference from stock will be the fbl/rx. it fit perfect and I did not even have to reroute wires although i pulled off the bind plug adapter from the frame.

the fusion 180 is a great airframe and servos seem fine too as well as esc and motor. Hope uikon solves the issues I have had with tail. If not next step is a h3060 tail servo.

I honestly think Blade/HH is really close to nailing their helis down perfect if they could get their new rxs to perform as well as they did when they had an ar7200 or perhaps like the new 230s v2. Id rather keep the simplicity of the ar6335 or ar636 on these helis and keep my ikons etc for my oxy and other helis. The new fusion airframes I have (180 and 270) are really sweet frames and they look great too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_232212.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	813799   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_232220.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	813801  
Old 09-08-2019, 03:06 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking forward to hearing/seeing how your modded 180 flies.
navigator2011 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would be interested in how you get on with the Ikon. I put a micro Brain in mine right from the beginning. I found that it had severe cyclic shakes that I could only remove by reducing the P and I settings. However, the heli just did not fly right afterwards and I had to replace the entire head with a 180 CFX head. The heli flew well afterwards.

Although I never had tail problems, I wonder if yours could be mechanical in nature? I replaced the stock tail push rod assembly entirely with a self made carbon fiber pushrod. I did this because I feel that the stock setup is very liable to binding and thus a potential cause of the tail wag.

There were also a couple of problems I had with the Fusion 180. The first was that the blade tracking was well off at high headspeeds. I tried two different set of blades and the result was the same. The feathering shaft was not bent. Another problem was with the power. There seems to be occasional bogging when the heli is stressed e.g. continuous flips. I am not sure whether the motor was truly bogging or something to do with the ESC not holding up the head speed (no governor?)

I maidened my 150S today and was pleasantly surprised. it flew better than the Fusion 180 even with its stock AR6335A receiver. It seemed to be more powerful and was as precise as a micro Brain controlled 180CFX. Therefore I would recommend the 150S over the Fusion 180 especially if you have already got a 180CFX.

Last edited by zadaw; 09-08-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Old 09-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfiosca View Post
the servos are the original ones SP H2070
the SP H2070T tail servo burned out and I replaced it with a BlueArrow D03013
I have the same situation.
I suppose I need to take type 2?
*Type: 1: Reverse
2: Positive

Will it work correctly as a tail servo SPMSH2060 for Fusion?
InterceptorKZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

As far as I know, it should be reversed. However I would recommend the D5180MG servos sold by Hawk-RC as they are definitely in the correct direction. It is a much better built servo than the D03013.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for fast answer.
I could not find D5180MG anywhere.
Now I tried to put SPMSH2060, but at the same time, the tail simply tears wilderly from side to side, sometimes 180 degrees.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I would be interested in how you get on with the Ikon. I put a micro Brain in mine right from the beginning. I found that it had severe cyclic shakes that I could only remove by reducing the P and I settings. However, the heli just did not fly right afterwards and I had to replace the entire head with a 180 CFX head. The heli flew well afterwards.

Although I never had tail problems, I wonder if yours could be mechanical in nature? I replaced the stock tail push rod assembly entirely with a self made carbon fiber pushrod. I did this because I feel that the stock setup is very liable to binding and thus a potential cause of the tail wag.

There were also a couple of problems I had with the Fusion 180. The first was that the blade tracking was well off at high headspeeds. I tried two different set of blades and the result was the same. The feathering shaft was not bent. Another problem was with the power. There seems to be occasional bogging when the heli is stressed e.g. continuous flips. I am not sure whether the motor was truly bogging or something to do with the ESC not holding up the head speed (no governor?)

I maidened my 150S today and was pleasantly surprised. it flew better than the Fusion 180 even with its stock AR6335A receiver. It seemed to be more powerful and was as precise as a micro Brain controlled 180CFX. Therefore I would recommend the 150S over the Fusion 180 especially if you have already got a 180CFX.

I agree with you on the push rod. it flexes too easily and guides are prone to move around. Id be interested in how you modded yours.

i hover tested 180F w uikon for maiden and it went well. on iu2 i got same high speed tail oscillations but this time lowering the gain in tx fixed it. seems ok. Now i do notice that the tail case area has some small vibe to it at iu2. best guess is the grips/blades are not balanced perfectly but ukion handles it and it flies well so far despite it. cyclic on mine was great, no wobbles or shakes. I get a slight drift to right side but that should be fixed easily or can be flown through np. My main concern now is a mod for push rod and figuring out the tailcase area vibration. reminds me of the old 130x when tail fin would vibrate. its not too bad as is tho. much better than before. and it has rescue now too.

the response of the tail servo is very precise..if you give rudder and let the stick bounce back until it stops the tail servo responds exactly the same and tail bounces until it stops as well. id be happier with a less precise response but dont want piro speed to slow down either. was same way with ar6335a.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a picture of my tail pushrod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a12188403-178-P1040720.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	814121  
Old 09-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This is a picture of my tail pushrod.

nice you had same idea I did but I was too lazy to do it lol. I glued the stock guides in place for now. if i ever have to replace boom or remove it I will likely di that. it work well then?

PS . anyone know how to stick program the 180F esc?
Old 10-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfiosca View Post
the servos are the original ones SP H2070
the SP H2070T tail servo burned out and I replaced it with a BlueArrow D03013
It happened to me almost similarly. The SP H2070T tail servo burned out and I replaced it with a BlueArrow D03013.
But today, after 5-6 flights in the BlueArrow the gear broke, the servo got stuck in flight and there was a crash. The blade holder broke and the feathering shaft bent.
What is better to buy - the original H2070T or something else?
And now I'm thinking about ÁSpirit FBL for future.
jasond1979 likes this.

Last edited by InterceptorKZ; 10-18-2019 at 02:09 PM..
Old 11-01-2019, 02:03 AM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have now gone over to using 4S but I find the heli rather lacking in power. I have tried 2 different motors with the same result. I changed the ESC to one made by Hobbywing but the result was the same. There is marked bogging when I tried to do tic-tocs or continuous flips, which does not happen with the Blade 150 S. The 150 S is probably the most underrated heli in Blade's lineup at the moment. Besides having a better performance, it is cheaper, more durable and has SAFE and rescue.

Here is me flying the Fusion 180 earlier today. This is the best I can do as I do not want to risk a crash because of the lack of power.

Blade Fusion 180 - Nov 2019 (3 min 4 sec)
jasond1979 likes this.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting. I was thinking here - how difficult will it be to remake 180 Fusion to 150S?
As I understand it, they have the identical frame. Blades, boom, tail motor.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptorKZ View Post
Interesting. I was thinking here - how difficult will it be to remake 180 Fusion to 150S?
As I understand it, they have the identical frame. Blades, boom, tail motor.
Definitely not the same frame, boom and tail. As I understand it, there are many that don't want a tail motor and prefer a pitched tail, no matter how great the tail motor may be. The Fusion 180 fulfills that need.

Fusion 180 seems to do well here:

Blade Fusion 180 helicopter maiden in the yard. Coe Show Style (7 min 4 sec)
Old 11-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
As I understand it, there are many that don't want a tail motor and prefer a pitched tail, no matter how great the tail motor may be. The Fusion 180 fulfills that need.
I am one of them. The tail motor sound ruins it for me. My 230s flies fine but I enjoy the sound of a belted tail drive much more. Hence no omp m2 nor 150s. Glad we have the Fusion 180 as an option
rcuser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuser View Post
I am one of them. The tail motor sound ruins it for me. My 230s flies fine but I enjoy the sound of a belted tail drive much more. Hence no omp m2 nor 150s. Glad we have the Fusion 180 as an option
Yep, and tail motors affect the rotational inertia of the whole tail too. I'm not opposed at all to the 150S, I'll probably get one. But I am glad the Fusion 180 is an option, too.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agreed. Choices are great. And the reason some of us have multiple helis. Each one provides its own unique enjoyment. Whether it be the looks, the flight characteristics, the sound, etc.
navigator2011 likes this.
rcuser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
belt-driven tail, blade fusion 180, blh5850

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in